cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
smurf764 wrote:
Wow!

What a change! Old Fella has gone from having to figure out where to get his next meal to having a retirement fund!! :B

And Richard, you have something that millions of $$$ couldn't buy; the love of a dog!

:B

We're so proud of Old Fella.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

smurf764
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

What a change! Old Fella has gone from having to figure out where to get his next meal to having a retirement fund!! :B

And Richard, you have something that millions of $$$ couldn't buy; the love of a dog!

:B
Regards

Gary

2003 F-250 Lariat CC 6.0 PSD
2004 Springdale 286 RLDS
3 goldens/2 yellow labs and

Dylan, the golden "Wonderdog",
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge since 3-16-05

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If anyone has any media contacts that they would like to put in touch with Susanne's agent here is his information:

Dr. Uwe Stender
TriadaUS Literary Agency, Inc.
P.O.Box 561
Sewickley, PA 15143
PHONE: (412) 401-3376
EMAIL: mailto:uwe@triadaus.com

From this point forward it is best to use him as our contact point so as to protect the publisher who gets the rights to the book. We have already had a response to the Publisher Marketing website so things are moving at a fast pace right now. Old Fella just may have a retirement fund in his future.

Wife Sue

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
CatandJim wrote:
Quote: come to think of it, it would be cool to just have special rescue bandanas for rescue'd RV pets so you could always tell at a campground who was a specially lucky kitty or dog...

What a wonderful idea and a great way to promote rescue!! :B

Don't know if any of you have been to this site before, but The Animal Rescue Site has all sorts of items and a portion of their sales go towards feeding animals in need. Also, there is a link to click on daily that goes toward feeding animals in need. If you are looking for something special for an animal lover, this is a great site. I think I am going to order their purple magnetic pawprints for my car.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
I updated the Old Fella Rally thread to include a list of people. If I missed anyone or left anyone out please let me know. page 26 I belive the list is on.

Thank you.
Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
mpj wrote:
Just accept our thanks - thanks that you shared (are sharing) this experience with all of us. You and your wife are special people.

ditto

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Because of The Fella we've decided to rescue a dog next round. We'll wait until our present canine joins his beloved Elkhound before looking for a new dog, but when the time is right, we'll find a special pooch that needs a good home. And possibly one that has some concerns (age, health or personality) that make him/her less desirable to others.

Our Elkhound had many health issues and we know we can handle that. And our Kuvasz doesn't like other dogs at all, and is an assertive character, so we know we can handle that. Thus adopting a special needs dogs seems to be right for us ... I'm sure when we meet the right pooch, we'll know. Or possibly, the pooch will find us and consider us the greatest folk on the earth, just like the Fella picked Richard and Sue. Regardless ... we'll be keeping our eyes open for the dog that wants to be with us.

It is posts like this that make this story exciting. Just to know that Old Fella has had such an impact on the hearts of people that they are considering adopting a special needs pet. How many have been past over because they weren't perfect, because they had some flaw, or because they were old? How many have been put down because they were rejected by all that came their way. It is my prayer that every Old Fella out there, waiting for a home, will be taken in and given a chance to know what it is to live in a home filled with love and compassion. I look at the treasure we have found and I am so thankful that God gave us this opportunity. My family is far richer today because we have looked into the eyes of hunger and pain and have been rewarded by those same eyes as they now are filled with joy and love. The same animal that kissed my face last night in a show of love is the same animal so many passed over when given the opportunity to take him into their hearts and into their home. I am far richer today because of Old Fella.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rights news/offering detail
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old Fella: A Long Journey Home: The True Story of an Old Dog and the People Who Saved Him 27 Oct 05

Author: Richard Daniels/Susanne Fogle

Description: This book describes the saga of Richard Daniels and a bedraggled stray dog as they defy the odds and form a bond that will eventually become a point of light and hope for hundreds of friends and acquaintances scattered throughout the country.
This heartwarming tale of friendship, redemption and faith in the goodness of humankind, all instigated by one man's vow to help a homeless, old, hobo of a dog, will cause you to smile through your tears.

The book represents an odyssey that began on Labor Day weekend in 2005 and continues to captivate a legend of folks who helped Richard, both emotionally and financially, to save a dog whose old eyes, in Richard's words, โ€œhad seen way too much.โ€

Rights available: All

Other information: When Richard Daniels logged on the RV net website to ask for advice concerning an old stray dog, he got more than he bargained for. He was given advice and encouragement, but virtual strangers also pitched in and sent enough money to cover the old dog's medical expenses. Word of โ€œOld Fellaโ€ and Richard has spread across the country. RV Net so far has received over 19,000 unique hits about this story, campground gift shops all over the USA want to know when a book is available and "Inside Edition", the TV show "RV Today" and other media outlets want to cover a four-day โ€œOld Fellaโ€ rally planned to begin on June 23, 2006 in Branson, Mo.

TriadaUS Literary Agency, Inc.

This a copy of the post in the Publisher Market Place offering the book about Old Fella to the publishers who will be interested in the rights to publish the book.

Wife Sue

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I feel as if I have found a million dollars tax free everytime I see him express joy and happiness. He is wagging his tail all the time now as if it is on automatic cruise control.

I think this is how you've made ALL of us feel!!! Thank you for being such a warm and caring person!!!

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Because of The Fella we've decided to rescue a dog next round. We'll wait until our present canine joins his beloved Elkhound before looking for a new dog, but when the time is right, we'll find a special pooch that needs a good home. And possibly one that has some concerns (age, health or personality) that make him/her less desirable to others.

Our Elkhound had many health issues and we know we can handle that. And our Kuvasz doesn't like other dogs at all, and is an assertive character, so we know we can handle that. Thus adopting a special needs dogs seems to be right for us ... I'm sure when we meet the right pooch, we'll know. Or possibly, the pooch will find us and consider us the greatest folk on the earth, just like the Fella picked Richard and Sue. Regardless ... we'll be keeping our eyes open for the dog that wants to be with us.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Paolo_s_pack
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what an amazing recovery. He looks SO happy and healthy !
You and your wife have done wonders.
Looks like the word about OF is seriously spreading. That's great news for other pets waiting to be rescued.
Have a great time at Disney!
Spirit of Paolo
1985 Dodge Ram Custom 250 conversion

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

He sure likes his bed!!!

And he sure likes to be brushed!!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got through giving Old Fella a bath and he loved it. When we finished he wanted to romp and play. I got kissed a couple of times right in the mouth, but that's okay. He is having the time of his life and is loving every minute of it. What a change we see in him daily. Since yesterday his playful moods have increased and you have to be careful of those front paws or they will get you. He loves to get on his back and swing up at you as you get close. Then he will raise up his head and give you a big kiss right in the mouth.

What a blessing he is. I would have never guessed that he would have turned into such a lovable old pooch. He has developed a way to turn his head and with his eyes say "I'm so happy!" He and Sue have bonded and he loves her soothing touch and voice. He will come up to her and want to be scratched on the head and tummy and he whimpers when she doesn't pay him any attention.

I feel as if I have found a million dollars tax free everytime I see him express joy and happiness. He is wagging his tail all the time now as if it is on automatic cruise control.

WJBF Channel Six is coming tomorrow for a television interview. That is a local television station for ABC. Maybe I can get a tape of the interview. Old Fella has a new agent. It seems I had to sign on with Sussane's agent since I am co-writting the book with her. There has been a lot of media interest lately so I am directing new inquiries to Uwe Stender, Triada US Litery Agency, Inc. P.O. Box 561 Sewickley, PA 15143. It seems the rally will have media coverage as RV Today has expressed an interest in covering the rally as well as a local Missouri television station. You folks have really started something!

We will be leaving one week from today going to Florida to Disney Land. I hope to get some great photo's of the trip so I can post them whe we get back in the 11th. I will keep you updated through Lynn while we are gone. It looks as if the rally is off to a good start, that is going to be so much fun! Okay I have to run for now. I will talk with you tomorrow.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
Just accept our thanks - thanks that you shared (are sharing) this experience with all of us. You and your wife are special people.
mpj:)

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I dont feel I have done anything, that you need to do anything for showing your apprecation. Just by posting your udates and antacts of Old Fella, Levi & Izzie is more than enough as Far as I am concerned.
Thank you so much.
Lynn,Mickey=FOOF
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4