cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

coop7243
Explorer
Explorer
I second everything Mokie's Mama and kokosfriend said. Please do not let the lack of encouragement get you down Richard. It is hard for me to imagine that anyone would discourage you rather than ask how they could help. I know there are locals who are pulling for you. This was evident in an email I received from the reporter Elizabeth Billips.

The parade and following festivities this Thursday should raise both public awareness and funds. The possibility of joining forces with the other local small rescue is also encouraging. I know it probably doesn't seem like it at times Richard, but things are really looking up!
๐Ÿ™‚ Daneen
Husband: Len
Furkids: Mattie, Shelby, Sandra & Grayson

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't let others discourage you. Remember, "It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all." At least 2 dogs who had no chance, now are on their way to love and joy for their lives. Old Fella has all the love and joy he can stand. You have already made a difference the world over, so just try not to wear yourself out and please be ready to accept some failure and allow the successes to be the ones you remember. You are caring for God's creations, and they thank you for your efforts. You won't win them all, but you have made a difference in this world and if the hearts of us all who follow this thread.
Bless you
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mokie's Mama wrote:
Just a thought - you can ask the vet for advice - but with the foot bandaged so often, it may not be exposed enough to the air to heal properly. Perhaps there is a bandage that you can use that allows air to get to the wound.

Okay I will do that. Glad you got your reservations straightened out.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought - you can ask the vet for advice - but with the foot bandaged so often, it may not be exposed enough to the air to heal properly. Perhaps there is a bandage that you can use that allows air to get to the wound.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the encouragement. Old Fella swims on Tuesday morning at 9:30 and Thursday afternoon at 1:30 so it is twice a week. During the day I keep the foot bandaged so he can walk outside and such. It also helps him in the house getting around on the hardwood floors as it pads his foot and the bandage with the material it is made of gives him grip for that paw to get up and down. The sore is not running puss and doesn't smell bad, so I guess that is good. It isn't that painful for him either as he moves around on it very well with the padding or bandage on it.

He gets excited about the time I get moving and follows me around hoping I will put his bandage on because he knows then it is time for our walk. If I don't act as quickly as he feels I should he will go to the family room and lay down and start barking. that is my clue to get moving now!

Well I better get moving as I have a lot to do. Talk with you later.

Richard

Wife Sue

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard - unless there is swelling or puss coming from the wound, I wouldn't worry about putting him back on antibiotics. I am wondering if all of the swimming is keeping the wound from healing properly. You may want to keep it as dry as possible and exposed to the air until it heals completely - not sure how you would do that with swimming everyday.

Don't let the locals discourage you. Perhaps they did try - and failed, however, I'm sure they didn't have the backing (lots of emotional and a little financial) that you have to keep you going. I'm sure their efforts never made the newspaper or got an official day honoring a rescue animal. Rather than trying to discourage you, I hope they see this as an answer to their prayers and they will join in your efforts - with success this time.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today promises to be a busy day with all that is going on. I still have one dog at the shelter I need to see about and start with his medical treatment. I have already had him checked for heart worms and he tested positive. So I have to find the money to get him the treatment he needs. The Pit Bull mix and the puppy took all the funds I had so I am scrounging about picking up what I can.

I have to get posters made for the parade on Thursday so I can display the animals we have up for adoption and folks will know why they are there. I will also have open jars available for donations set up on the tables, hope we get some. Wednesday I have a meeting with the group from Hephzibah, Georgia to see if we can join our efforts together and become a better voice in our community in getting the message out about the pitiful situation here in Burke County. There is so much to do and so little time to do it in if we are going to save more animals and end their suffering.

Old Fella is doing okay I guess. I don't like this sore on his foot not healing. This has been going on since April and yesterday the drainage was as bad as I have seen it. Maybe I need to put him back on the antibiotics for a while?

There is so much going on with the East Coast Rally, the West Coast Rally, The Parade and those animals that still need homes and medical care it is hard to keep up with it all. Sue is such a champ and never complains about the time I spend with all of Old Fella's business. We are making a difference slowly but surely and in small steps, but I can look back over last week and see what has been accomplished.

I have been warned by local people not to get too involved with the rescue efforts here as many have tried before and have failed. I hope and pray this time we will not fail as we have accomplished much in the past few weeks. The folks who attended the rally in Branson gave us a good start and something to work with when I arrived back home. We all have a lot invested to get turned back now. Old Fella has brought a lot of attention to the needs of stray animals everywhere and through his name many have already have been saved. You folks keep up the good work you are doing and support us here with your prayers and suggestions. You have been such an inspiration to us and keep us motivated.

Say a special prayer for the yellow dog who is part Golden Retriever that we can somehow finish what we have started with him. I go out this morning to the shelter to get him and start working with him that he is not so afraid. The poor thing is so scared he panics when you try to work with him. He will come up to you and allow you to pet him and he rubs against you in a playful mood, but when you try to collar him or pick him up to put him in the transportation box he become afraid and struggles so hard. He was so hard to work with at the vets office they had to stop and called me to come get him. I will try again today.

Old Fella says have a nice day and we will talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veronica wrote:
I haven't posted on here in a while, but I just wanted to tell you that I think everything you are doing is wonderful.

Why don't you join us at the East Coast Old Fella Rally at Four Paws Kingdom? Boy it sure looks like it is going to be a hit!

Wife Sue

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't posted on here in a while, but I just wanted to tell you that I think everything you are doing is wonderful.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This coming week I expect some exciting things to happen that will broaden our ability to increase our foster homes. The parade on Thursday will be something special with folks coming in from out of town to help us celebrate the rescue effort going on here and we will hopefully see some animals adopted.

The no kill policy is still being enforced here and so far we have been able to rescue all the animals that have come in. I hope to raise more money at the parade and soon be able to increase our ability to place more pets in foster homes. I feel good about the progress being made and Old Fella is just delighted to be able to say things are going good for all of his fur kin.

Wife Sue

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High, You Scandalous Wabbit, are always welcome to join me. I bet we would have a good time.

Gotta tell on myself, when I read the part about a PayPal account, I thought you ment Papal Account. I wondered how in the heck you could get one of those!!! I would think you would not make late payments on it.!!!!

DIXIESMAMA

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
There's also Villalobos pit bull rescue in LA, though that would be a bit of a project...
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I thought of something. When I was trying to save this pit bull, I got in touch with a pit and other type of bull rescue in Cookeville, TN. They were trying to place her in foster when I located the owner. You can find them at http://bless-the-bullys.tripod.com/ or if link doesn't work google bles the bullies. They have a board for posting onto and looking for homes or fosters. Maybe they would foster Tiger and get him out of there before....
Barb

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Our shelter here, which is not a no kill shelter unfortunately, does not adopt out pit bull because they are abused by so many people. I guess the fate of being put down young is better than being used in abusive ways. It is so sad. I just sometimes cannot understand the very human race that I am suppose to belong to!!!

I rescued a lost pit bull and found the owner thank goodness. She was very sweet and very affectionate. Our vet prefers the pit bull over some of the little bitey dogs they have to deal with.
Barb

coop7243
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Code2High for mentioning the possible worse fate for Tiger. Pitts and Rotties are especially wanted for fighting. Also, more people should be aware to never give a pet "Free to good home" unless you are absolutely certain who is taking the animal. Even puppies are sometimes used as bait for the larger ones to get the taste of blood and kill.
๐Ÿ™‚ Daneen
Husband: Len
Furkids: Mattie, Shelby, Sandra & Grayson