cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kokosfriend wrote:
Richard and Sue, I want to add my condolences to the other that have so eloquently expressed what Old Fella was and still is to all of us and to Wayne County. I just returned from the funeral for the brother in law and did not know what had happened. Bless you for what you gave to him and to many.
Barb

I am sorry for your loss as well and I wish you peaceful solitude in the days ahead to heal your heart and soul.

Richard

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue, I want to add my condolences to the other that have so eloquently expressed what Old Fella was and still is to all of us and to Wayne County. I just returned from the funeral for the brother in law and did not know what had happened. Bless you for what you gave to him and to many.
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
Animal Planet is doing their hero of the year. Time to nominate Richard and Old Fella. Let's deluge them with nominations. Winner gets $10,000 for their organization.

Hero of Year

For those who are going to nominate Old Fella and myself you will need this information.

Birthday 04/23/1941

Phone: 706 554 2402
Cell 706 871 8707

Wife Sue

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Animal Planet is doing their hero of the year. Time to nominate Richard and Old Fella. Let's deluge them with nominations. Winner gets $10,000 for their organization.

Hero of Year
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

TYSPapa
Explorer
Explorer
I just read the news this morning and wish to express my condolences to Richard and Sue.
Although Fella is gone in body he will always be with you and us in spirit.
May God bless and help you through this rough time.
1998 Dodge 1ton DRW 4x4,cummins of course:D
1998 Cardinal 28rks

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue - Please know that you, Fella, and all your furkids have always been in my prayers. Dan kept me posted over the weekend, but I couldn't come to read the thread until last night. We are on vacation and I finally got caught up with the last 14 pages. When Levi passed, it tore me up reading all the fine posts and looking at the pictures you posted. I knew this would be worse. I know that there is now a King at the Bridge and our Thumper met him along with the rest. I remember meeting both kids at the first rally, remembering how great they were with everyone, especially the children. I have been dreaming about them both this week. Take care of yourselves and give the kids hugs from us.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Time for kleenex. Awesome story on a dog who once was lost was found & giving the love & attention he so needed. He sure was a very loved dog.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful story...
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog that spawned local rescue movement dies
By Diana Royal dianar@thetruecitizen.com

Old Fella File photo

The four-legged celebrity who turned animal rescue and adoption into a local mission has made his way to dog heaven.

Old Fella, once a skinny, black stray found at an RV park by Waynesboro natives Richard and Sue Daniels, passed away Saturday night from complications of bone cancer that spread to his lungs.

During his short time with the Daniels family, Old Fella touched the lives of a number of people, from girl scouts to grown men, and quickly captured the hearts of animal lovers across the nation. His rescue story produced an outcry of care, and he became the namesake for Burke County's first animal rescue organization.

When the Daniels first found Old Fella, he was missing a paw and most of his teeth, but something in his eyes made Richard go back for him - and before they knew it, the Daniels had a new pet with an enormous vet bill.

That's when donations started coming in from other RVers who'd caught wind of Old Fella via an online forum. The forum, which once offered support and encouragement to what Richard was trying to accomplish, now shares condolences for a dog who was so much more than a pet.

"Old Fella gave so much hope to so many people," Richard said. "It's hard to put in words what his life is and was ... what an ambassador he was to animals all across the United States ... to me, he was a sweet little ol' dog, and I loved him to death."

(Editor's note: A memorial service is currently being planned for Old Fella, and information will be published in an upcoming edition of The True Citizen.)

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
They need a link to this forum on the site so that people can read the entire story. I didn't see it - did I miss it?

Jodi just emailed me and said she would add the link. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
bonniesoo wrote:
Richard....how is Sue doing? Is Izzie still staying close to you and is Suzie doing ok?

We are headed out today for several days but will try to check in with everyone as we can. Everyone please have a safe and happy July 4th. Be safe on the roads.

Sue has her moments of sadness and grief that is still on the surface. She walks about the house sometimes looking at the places Old Fella would normally be and tears will come to her eyes. She really became very attached to Fella and he to her as well. In the last days she would make sure he got his outtings in the wagon and make sure his leg was wrapped before he went outside. She started making him a special diet that he loved to help keep his weight down.

When Fella wanted her attention he would reach out with his front paw when she came close to him so she would stop and sit down with him. Fella's special needs where not a burden to us, but rather a blessing to keep us close to him in every way. Suzie and Izzie are adjusting to life without Fella, but you can tell they miss him.

Never in my life have I ever had a relationship with a dog that has touched my heart the way Fella has. It is going to take a long time to get over his leaving us. I am sitting here trying to type with tears rolling down my face and it is hard for me to see what I am doing. I will go for now and try to get myself together.

Wife Sue

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Richard....how is Sue doing? Is Izzie still staying close to you and is Suzie doing ok?

We are headed out today for several days but will try to check in with everyone as we can. Everyone please have a safe and happy July 4th. Be safe on the roads.
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
They need a link to this forum on the site so that people can read the entire story. I didn't see it - did I miss it?

I will talk with Jodi and see if she will do that.

Wife Sue

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Folks, Please go to the Friends of Old Fella thread on Yahoo. There is talk about the memorial that we want to erect for Old Fella and the way it might be reality. Thanks

Anyone who is not a member of the FOOF group on yahoo, send me an Private Message with your email address and I will send you an invite to join.
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.