cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A New Beginning for an Old Stray

I thought some of you would enjoy reading this article

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I went to the city animal shelter and watched the inmates work with the dogs and saw the interaction between them I couldn't help but think that Old Fella's magic was still alive and working. As long as I can keep projects like this going I feel I am keeping Fella and his memory alive and well.

The past few days have been hard ones for Sue and I as we try to stay focused and not dwell on Fella too much. But when you love something or someone as much as we loved Fella it is hard. We miss him so much.

Wife Sue

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Richard I also want to say thank you for posting all of the pictures.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful thing is happening for the men and the animals. This is great!!
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
agteacher wrote:
Animal Planet is doing their hero of the year. Time to nominate Richard and Old Fella. Let's deluge them with nominations. Winner gets $10,000 for their organization.

Hero of Year

Remember that the nomination must be in your own words. Duplicate nominations will be disqualified, and read the rules closely, particularly as it applies to length of nomination.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
Richard thank you for posting all the pictures, makes us feel we are a part of it all.

You are and have been a part of it all. Without the forum few people would know little if anything about Old Fella.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard thank you for posting all the pictures, makes us feel we are a part of it all.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
HobbsHauler wrote:
It is amazing to look at all the places in our country and beyond that people have shed a tear and have sent hugs and prayers for Old Fella. That old boy brought a lot of people together and saved many animals lives. He will live on forever in our hearts.

I'm so sorry, hugs are sent to Richard and Sue and thank you for being you.

When you look at the pictures of the prison inmates, this too Old Fella accomplished. Our local sheriff has given his full support to the mission of the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue.

What great pics! A win-win situation, for sure.

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
HobbsHauler wrote:
It is amazing to look at all the places in our country and beyond that people have shed a tear and have sent hugs and prayers for Old Fella. That old boy brought a lot of people together and saved many animals lives. He will live on forever in our hearts.

When you look at the pictures of the prison inmates, this too Old Fella accomplished. Our local sheriff has given his full support to the mission of the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer

Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inmates from the prison working today at the animal shelter.

This is Sgt Mack the man in charge of the detail

Wife Sue

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:

For those who are going to nominate Old Fella and myself you will need this information.

Richard - this is a great idea and one which will help Fella's story become an inspiration to many more folks. Though you might like to see what I said....

Richard has become a celebrity across the nation and in particular with RV'ers, when a couple of years ago he rescued a stray, who became known as 'Old Fella', from a campground where he had been abandoned years before. Richard and Fella became part of a huge internet family across the nation, there having been several 'rallys' where followers of Fella's progress back to health were celebrated and folks could meet him. The wonderful thing about this story is that it not only prompted many many folks across the USA to adopt rescue pets from shelters, but it also put Richard on the path to working with to establish the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue - a non-kill shelter which is now going strong. Sadly, Old Fella died from cancer this week and the outpouring of grief in the Old Fella thread on RV.NET had been awesome. Richard (and his wife Sue) are true heroes, and Fella is now an angel in heaven but still giving inspiration to animal lovers everywhere. I cannot think of a better recipient for the reward. Truly a hero.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
... Fella is still all around me as I look at the booties and socks that are left behind and his bed in the family room and the bedroom that is empty. I can't find it in myself to move anything or put it out of sight just yet. One day at a time as Sue and I get use to life without Fella.

My goodness - I have been away and just caught up on this thread. I am so sorry to hear about Fella's passing. I feel truly blessed to have met Fella, Levi, Suzie, Richard and Sue. What a wonderful family, and such an inspiration. My heart goes out to the family, and many prayers and cyber hugs for you and all the FOOFs.

The void is a tough thing. When we lost our Boomer last fall, we had taken his bedroom pillow with us so that he could pass to the Rainbow Bridge while on his comfy and familiar bed, and we left it there with him at the vet's before cremation. But we still have so many other reminders still, after 7 months - his special, dog-sized couch in the living room, his living room pillow and I still have his photos displayed on my cubicle wall at work with the Bridge poem as a memorial. So you are not unique or alone in your feelings. Fella was a very special dog and you had a wonderful bond, and he will be forever a part of who you are.

Many hugs and heartfelt prayers to you.

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
Mackenzie Queen of Clubs, CGC
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your words, Dixie Flyer. As you may know we lost Koko the same day as Clyde. But I feel for your loss and for the end of an important era and the beginning of a new era of work in Old Fella's name.
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates