cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Richard...another nomination for Animal Planet Hero of the Year.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Richard for the link, we subscribed, God Bless.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In memory of Old Fella

After clicking on the link then go to "Speciality RVing"

Then go to "RVing with Pets"

Scroll down to the Old Fella article

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Silverdunes for that info, we were going to nominate Richard but like you, we do not have an American address. You had a great idea though and am sorry that we Canadians cannot participate!
Good Luck to Richard!
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

silverdunes
Explorer
Explorer
As some of you may recall from rare posts I did, I am from Canada, and I wanted to nominate Dixie Flyer for the Animal Planet hero....there were probably also other readers from Canada and they probably will not be able to do it.

I had fill up everything on Animal Planet and wrote the 250 words max text with their requirements for space etc...and without a US address I cannot submit or participate in the Animal Planet (due to the contest), we need to be US resident. I did not want to cheat by writing a US address and then creating trouble for Richard's nomination.
Sad that I cannot show how far the dedication and love for animals that Dixie Flyer has, has touched people. I had hoped showing this may have helped in his nomination of Hero.

This is the text I had written, maybe some people can used some of it and correct my English too ๐Ÿ™‚

"Richard Daniels, known as Dixie Flyer by RVโ€™ers at RVNet, rescued a wounded stray dog from a campground, a few years ago. A Forum thread started the same day and this old stray became part of the Daniels family and known as 'Old Fella'. Dixie and Fellaโ€™s thread on RVnet forum created an internet family across USA & Canada. Readers have laughed, cried, rescued animals and even organized rallies, where people met and share with other followers of Fella's. Because of Old Fella, another stray dog, hurt and in need of amputation, got hospitalized, rescued and adoptedโ€ฆthe other side of NA. Nothing stopped Richard! Fom East to West, he organized a group of RVโ€™ers to bring the amputated rescue to her new home. Old Fellaโ€™s story and Richardโ€™s devotion prompted many folks across USA & Canada to adopt rescue pets from shelters. Richard established the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue, a non-kill shelter. Old Fella died from cancer, a week ago. Outburst of grief on Fellaโ€™s thread has been tremendous. Richard (and wife Sue) are heroes, and though Old Fella departed, his legacy lives on, inspiring animal lovers everywhere. Richard and the Fellaโ€™s RVnet family made me proud to be an RVโ€™er. The example of love and dedication towards animals that Richard gives to us all, makes him my nomination for the reward."
Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If anyone needs my email address it is:

claudedaniels@msn.com

or look under my profile

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Just got word from Leslie about the Blog Home page. Hopefully this link will work. Old Fella Memorial
I thought this was a good start. Leslie has been quite helpful.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the pictures of the inmates and the animals it is my opinion that they may both be reaping the benefits of this program. I see a lot of smiles on the inmates faces :B.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kokosfriend wrote:
Richard - how are you all doing this morning? I am thinking about you and your loss.
Barb

Each day gets a little better especially when I am doing something for the Old Fella cause. The hurt is still there and most anything will bring tears to the surface. I am in the process of setting up the Old Fella Memorial fund so we can put his memorial on the property one day. I am looking forward to that day with great anticipation. When I am able to see that accomplished along with the shelter and the spay neuter clinic I will know for sure his legacy will live on. There is a lot of work still to be done and animals to be saved so the work continues.

The Inmates from the jail have also added a new dimension to the Old Fella legacy as we see the benefits from this adventure. Many good things are yet to come and for Old Fella, he can be proud and cheer us on as we reach new goals every day.

Wife Sue

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
Richard -
Thank you for posting the photos of the prisoners working at the shelter. Working with animals is a truly wonderful way to help rehabilitate folks that have taken the wrong paths in life. There is something about working with and being responsible for animals that just stirs the soul. And the smiles on the inmates faces are just priceless!!

We know you are still grieving, but it is such a joy to see everything that Fella inspired!!
Cheryl and Randall
Mackenzie Queen of Clubs, CGC
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - how are you all doing this morning? I am thinking about you and your loss.
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
Starting tomorrow afternoon (July 3rd) We will be gone for the holiday weekend. In my absence Dan "dandy Dan" is authorized to invite folks to join the FOOF Yahoo group. So after say 5pm (pacific time on the 3rd) you can send a message to Dan with your email address or Yahoo ID to be invited to the group.
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Highways Magazine article May 2006 "Puppy Love

See if this link works

Works great!

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highways Magazine article May 2006 "Puppy Love

See if this link works

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
A sweet trip down memory lane....thanks!

๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.