cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks have lots of energy, so I can see where inactivity (limited space) would cause them to over eat. He is beautiful, love his face. With Suzie's energy and teasing ways the extra weight will be off soon.

Having a big and good heart, sometimes comes with its trials.
The back seat in the truck is getting rather full. LOL
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Peaches looks like she has the head of a terrier stuck on a Blue Heeler body. No wonder she and Suzie get along smashingly, I have never know a terrier that was NOT an imp.

When Bruno came to live with us my husband's ex has pretty much done the same with him. On weekends she sometimes would leave him locked in the basement with a bag of food and a large dish of water. Needless to say, when we kidnapped him he was grossly overweight and had issues with his legs and hips. We put him on the Quincy Quick Weight Loss Program and within a month he had lost 15 lbs. It was great to see this 130 lb monster lying on his back and Quincy bounding off his stomach (Bruno was a black lab/newf mix, Quinn is a 14 lb jack). Even though he was only with us a short time, his last days were filled with love.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Robin went through some bad times back in the late 90's and learned some lessons the hard way. Sue and I bought a travel trailer with a slide out and put it in the back yard for her to live in while she went back to school. It was while she was here that she lost her companion Boogie that she had for at least ten years if I remember right. Boogie was so attached to Robin she could stand to be out of her sight so thinking she would be okay in the house by herself Robin left her alone for a day. There was an accident and Boogie died while no one was home, that was July 4th 2001.

Sue and I watched her grieve over that dog until it consumed all of us. Sue happed to be looking at the I WANTA and found someone wanting to find a home for a Jack Russell Terrier. It was love at first sight when Sue and Robin saw this little ball of energy named Peaches. Peaches and Levi hit it off immediately and soon Peaches became very attached to me, more so than Robin. When Robin graduated from school in 2002 she moved to Augusta taking Peaches with her, but it soon became apparent Peaches was very unhappy living in an apartment. For six years she lived with Robin with limited time being spent in outdoor activities. Soon Peaches became more and more depressed.
When I would go to visit Peaches would always meet me at the door wanting me to take her outside to play ball or just walk her around the complex. I stopped going when Robin told me Peaches would always be in some kind of trouble for a few days after my visits. I never explained to Robin why I cut my visits short until the other day. Robin came to the conclusion Peaches would be better off with Sue and I having playmates around she could be more active and happy. Robinโ€™s work had become such that to keep her job she had to take on extra duties of the employees that had been let go because of the down turn in the economy.
So there it is in a nutshell the Daniels saga of lifeโ€™s turmoil. I am glad however that Peaches has someone she can come to live with that she knows and loves. Sue and I will be here for her and Robin and do whatever it takes.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit wrote:

BTW, Butterfly girl, the newest study regarding Earthquakes is NOT to get underneath things as they could collapse on you, now they say to lie next to something substantial like a large table or furniture, if things collapse, the furniture will create a void next to it holding up whatever collapses.

I know that but this was back in the 50's when they didn't know any better...LOLOL
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Peaches is hoping she gets to do the same diet Fella was doing that last month or so. :B I'm sure that being active with Suzie and Charlie will be a big help, as well as however much walking you can get her. Also being happier.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gentle Spirit wrote:
Richard - when your heart is open to God, like a magnet, things are attracted to you. If you are feeling overwhelmed, ask God for help, you will get it - we just have to remember to ask, that's all.

God is love - love is the answer to ALL things. Why am I preaching to a preacher? Maybe sometimes we are too close to a situation to see it, "Can't see the forest for the trees!" as my father in law, born in 1908 used to say.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Sometimes I feel like Elijah when Jezebel chased him into the wilderness. {I Kings 19}

Wife Sue

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Peaches is beautiful. I agree with you that she needs to shed a pund or 2 and I am sure that Suzie can help her!!!!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone, I would like to introduce you to Peaches, our newest fur child.

Wife Sue

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - when your heart is open to God, like a magnet, things are attracted to you. If you are feeling overwhelmed, ask God for help, you will get it - we just have to remember to ask, that's all.

God is love - love is the answer to ALL things. Why am I preaching to a preacher? Maybe sometimes we are too close to a situation to see it, "Can't see the forest for the trees!" as my father in law, born in 1908 used to say.

You have so much love to spread around, Peaches is a lucky girl. If she's only 7, your daughter may be in a better position in a year or so and take her back, hopefully with the addition of another dog for companionship.

BTW, Butterfly girl, the newest study regarding Earthquakes is NOT to get underneath things as they could collapse on you, now they say to lie next to something substantial like a large table or furniture, if things collapse, the furniture will create a void next to it holding up whatever collapses.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Augusta and picked up Peaches so she is now at home with us. I will take some pictures and post them later. Old Fella would be proud of Suzie. She has taken a liking to Peaches and they are doing great.

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
.....Another thing that has bothered me is the criticism I have received from some folks about the Old Fella Memorial. Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Waynesboro True Citizen Newspaper that the money spent for the memorial would be better used giving it to the poor and needy folks of Burke County. It is just another swipe at Old Fella and what he stands for by those who oppose the animal shelter. Okay, thatโ€™s enough for now. Talk with you later.

Yes, Richard, you do have a lot on your plate and we know that you will handle it all "just right" in your usual kind and graceful way.

Of everything you mention, this criticism is one thing I would suggest you let go in one ear and out the other. There's always going to be someone who isn't happy with the decisions we make...but you know that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for me, I never tire of reading your posts, whether they are animal antics, emotional stories, rants, or just information about what's going on in your world. It's our world too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
We expect you to tell us these things because
1. We wouldn't know what was going on.
2. We are interested in what is going on.
3. We love you and are here for you no matter what.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can vent here where you will receive support. this is a difficult time and we all have those periods. That is what friends are for and we are FOOF. Let us share with you.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard
Its ok to vent to us, we can pray that it will work out for the homeless animals///\
I am sure Peaches will be so happy to be with you and it will work out. THe Lord never gives us situations and abandons us\... He will guide you always.....
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a difficult time sleeping last night thinking about Peaches, the yard with the chinch bugs in it, the weekend coming up with the planned camping trip with three fur babies, Suzie, Charlie and Peaches all crowded into the camper.

When Fella left us I was wondering what was in our future as far as taking in another fur kid, but now it's expanded to two. Oh well, what can I say except welcome Peaches, I hope you like your new forever home. I guess I am feeling a bit stressed with a lot on my plate right now, but so is everyone feeling the pinch from one direction or another. I got a message from Bruce that Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue is feeling the pinch and things have really gotten tight, too many animals, not enough resources.

The County Commissioners had a meeting that they didn't properly announce concerning the upcoming budget for 2009 acting as if they are trying to avoid the issue of an animal shelter that was voted for back in July by a large majority of the people of Burke County. Bruce was very upset and contends that the meeting was not legal and everything voted on or discussed would have to be declared null and void.

All of the dirty politics and back room meetings wearies me and reminds me of the "Good O Boy System" that was predominate back in the 50's and 60's here in the Deep South. It wasnโ€™t a matter of if its lawful, but is it what we want to do? I donโ€™t know if it this is appropriate for the Old Fella Thread so I am going to stop my ranting and pick up the pieces and move forward hoping the animals of Burke County will have their day.

Another thing that has bothered me is the criticism I have received from some folks about the Old Fella Memorial. Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Waynesboro True Citizen Newspaper that the money spent for the memorial would be better used giving it to the poor and needy folks of Burke County. It is just another swipe at Old Fella and what he stands for by those who oppose the animal shelter. Okay, thatโ€™s enough for now. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue