cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

sisodals
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,Congratulations. As others have said, Old Fella, Levi and Charlie are wearing great big smiles and happy tails. Good Sams could not possibly have made a better choice.
Helen & Ray Siso
sisodals@bellatlantic.net

Bounder 38N
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy

Rally's attended: 16 (Four Bounder, 5 FMCA and 7 Samborees)

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, way cool. Congratulation. You sure have worked hard for this recognition. Both you and Sue deserve the best.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fella, Levi and Charlie are smiling at the Bridge...
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!!!! What an honor, and very much deserved!!!!

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Very Cool!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also found this on line "RVer of the Year." Article in Motorhome Magazine

Motorhome Magazine featuring RVer of the Year

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Richard, well deserved.
E.Texan

det62
Explorer
Explorer
EXCELLENT news !! They could not have picked a more deserving person.

The 2nd RVer of the year won't even come close to everything that Richard (and Sue) have accomplished

Congratulations :B
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
I found the answer....GREAT NEWS Richard........everyone will be so proud and pleased.....

I did a goggle of Richards name and old fella and came up with it...I was so excited to read about it that I posted before I read the latest
post....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Congratulations Richard - well deserved! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

RogerNCindy
Explorer
Explorer
We'd love to go, but since the boys will still be in school, we just can't make it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Congratulations Richard, you certainly deserve it!

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Got my magazine today. Congrats.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the site for information on the Rally:

The Rally

As Richard says, follow his instructions if you want to be with the FOOFs. Don't use the registration form on the website.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful Richard, Congratulations.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay now that the news is out they are holding 15 camping sites at the rally in Albuquerque for FOOFS on a first come first served basis, for those who want to go and be a part if this event and see first hand the award ceremony. If you want to go and be a part of the group you will need to get in touch with me so I can tell you how to get your reservations. I will put you in touch with the right people. If you register along with everyone else you will not be allowed into the group area. You see FOOFS are very special people and will get VIP hands on accommodations.

Wife Sue