cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget about Claire, she is still with us. I didn't approve her adoption the other day. Too many things wrong with that situation. So we have Claire, Suzie, Peaches,Shadow and the blonde dog as well as Izzie. So we have five dogs and one cat. Each of the newly rescued dogs will have to go on a diet to lose some weight and also I need time to see if they are house trained. I am beginning to believe that both dogs lived in the house with the old man as the blonde dog tested negative for heart worms and didn't have a host of other worms living inside her. Both dogs have been spayed and were in excellent condition.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
The blonde dog is at Dr. Ford's and she closes her office at noon on Saturday. So I had to Shadow somewhere until the office opens on Monday. Monday will be here soon enough and then there will be a great reunion.

Have you checked to make sure Dr. Ford's is open Monday? It's a holiday (MLK day) and our vet is closed (tried to make an appointment to get Bud checked out). Just a thought for you to avoid wasting a trip.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
Isnt there any way to reunite the dogs before Monday. ???????
Shadow must be terrified, so many strange things happening to her, hate to think of her stuck in a crate

The blonde dog is at Dr. Ford's and she closes her office at noon on Saturday. So I had to Shadow somewhere until the office opens on Monday. Monday will be here soon enough and then there will be a great reunion.

Shadow is not in a tiny crate but in a large kennel run with a very nice warm dog box to stay in. She is a lot better off than she has been in a while.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
Just a thought, but if you have not downloaded all 1310 pages to do research for your book can we all help by taking sections and mailing them to you. Sure would save you time.

No need to download the pages as I can easily go back and review the pages just by cranking up the computer.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
I never doubted your persistance wouldn't pay off. Richard, you are truely one of a kind. Sometimes in reading this wonderful thread and the things you do, one has to wonder if God has given you your well deserved wings way ahead of time so that you can be the Guardian Angel for our furbabies. If I can swing it I am going to try my best to come watch you receive the RV'er of The Year Award. It will be an honor to meet you and shake your hand.

I hope you can make it to Albuquerque in April. I would love to be able to meet as many of you as I can so I can put faces to the names. It is the people of the forum that deserves much of the praise as it is you who keep the sprit alive and well.

Wife Sue

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
My prayers were answered! I knew shortly I would open up and there would be the message that you got Shadow. Congratulations but like everyone here knew, if anyone could do it, it would be you. What a wonderful man you are. Thank you.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Yay - Richard!!! Success! Shadow may be frightened right now, but it's amazing what love can do, we all know she'll be okay.

What about the name "Honey" for the blonde dog? It's both her color and endearing.

Too bad the man can't tell us their names. I feel pretty bad about the cats...what will become of them?
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad you were able to catch Shadow and find a safe place to keep her till she can get to the vet. Let's see now....that will make 4 large dogs in your house. So, are we soon to hear that you and Sue will be looking for a larger house and a larger RV?

Sounds to me like we have just started another chapter on your book. It may start with Old Fella and end up being his legacy, but it cannot end without including Suzie, Peaches, Shadow and her sister....and their story is just beginning. This thread can go on for years. Yea!!!!

Richard, you are truly a remarkable man and you are also blessed to have an extremely loving and understanding wife who obviously shares your passion for helping the animals. I wish there were more like you in this world. It would definitely be a better world.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Isnt there any way to reunite the dogs before Monday. ???????
Shadow must be terrified, so many strange things happening to her, hate to think of her stuck in a crate
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I am so happy to hear about Shadow being warm and safe. Yeah!!!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Try "BagBalm" or "Udder Cream". BagBalm was originally used on cows to prevent udders from getting wet and cracking. Farmers noticed that their hands were also protected and started putting it on their hands. You can get it at Tractor Supply or any farm supply place. It does work. Put it on your hands before going to bed and put cotton gloves or socks on over that. During the night, will absorb into your hands. Any cream will work better if you put the cotton socks on over night.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great job Richard. Poor dogs I'm sure their both scared. Wish I could be there for their reunion. That would be awesome. I'd probably cry though.
E.Texan

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought, but if you have not downloaded all 1310 pages to do research for your book can we all help by taking sections and mailing them to you. Sure would save you time.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never doubted your persistance wouldn't pay off. Richard, you are truely one of a kind. Sometimes in reading this wonderful thread and the things you do, one has to wonder if God has given you your well deserved wings way ahead of time so that you can be the Guardian Angel for our furbabies. If I can swing it I am going to try my best to come watch you receive the RV'er of The Year Award. It will be an honor to meet you and shake your hand.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
RIchard
Now you can rest a well deserved rest.......Someone has been looking after the cats, is there a cat rescue there???
How is the man doing??? Is there no way to find out the dogs names from him and let him know that the dogs are being cared for by you and he can not worry about them now.....
Take care of those hands!!!!!!!!

Some of the cats are gone, maybe wandered away? The Doctor says no visitors as he has become very troubled and has a hard time making conversation. I will wait to see if at some point I can visit to let him know the dogs are being cared for.

When I took the dog to the kennel and was alone inside the pen with her she allowed me to pat her and scratch her back. When I would stop she would look at me wanting me to continue. Poor girl, she is so frightened and unsure of what is going on, but come Monday when she sees her sister she will be so happy.

Wife Sue