cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Truly enjoyed my 3-day weekend! However just got caught up on the posts, as I did not get on over the weekend and my mailbox overflowed. Oooops. :E Thank goodness my husband is computer savy. Thank you dear. :B - Welcome Jacqueline! This is a GREAT group and trust me when I say that Cy is being prayed for - several times over - on a daily basis.

We have a yearly rally to honor Old Fella and, of course, Richard and Sue. If you find yourself in the great State of Ohio in June :W you are more than welcome to join us. Whether or not you have a moho of some kind - you are welcome, as the campground we will be at has some lovely cabins. You are ALWAYS welcome with this group.

Have a great day all!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. I am glad you are getting to know Jacqueline and learning more about Cy. In writing to him let me caution you about Cy's past. He is a very smart man and has been able to talk his way out of hospitals and nursing homes only to return to his home and wind up being found along side of the road in a confused condition. He has his moments of clear sanity and can seem to be okay.

In writing to him please don't mention any way he might could find me should he talk his way out of the nursing home in Louisville, Ga. It would be very sad should he return and take possession of the two dogs only to leave them again for someone to have to go and rescue them one more time, I don't believe my heart could take another two weeks of trying to catch Hobo again.

It is a sad situation for anyone to have to go through when they are trying so desperately to hold on to a way of life that is passing them by and everything is spinning out of control. Cy is a very smart man and has a great deal of compassion for his animals as they are his family and will want to get back to them anyway he can. What he needs is encouragement to stay where he is and receive the help he needs and not worry about losing his family. I don't know how to advise you about writing to him in that regards. If he thinks his animals have been taken away he might want to try and find them. If he thinks the animals are still at his home he may want to try even harder to get out to be with them. It is a hard situation and I don't have answers, just pray about what you write and always keep in mind, how would you feel in his place and what would prompt you to stay where you are, or try to get back home to regain your life?

Be kind, be thoughtful and by all means be careful with your cards and letters. I think the gesture is a wonderful idea but the last thing Cy needs is a reason to return home.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, Jacqueline, if I had known you would thank us, I would have written you a welcome!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually, I am sorry I got too busy to write!! Glad that you are here and helping Richard with the info about Cy. I am sorry that Cy has to go through this. I hope where ever he is placed, they have pets on site. Many homes have discovered how important animals are in the lives of the people there. Thank you for your compassion for your relative.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
OH Richard...May your Day be filled with peace and harmony as you bring Mama and Hobo home. I hope that your family will find it in their hearts to accept them easily and that there will be little stress in your animals and your lives as you intoduceMama and Hobo. I will be thinking of you and Sue.
With Love,
Jacqueline

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jana for making clear the importance, at this time, of Cy NOT realizing he will not be returning home. Mentioning my name in your correspondence will most likely help Cy to understand and accept your kindness. That might sound strange but he is not too trusting, however I have mostly been blessed with his loving caring and sweeet side and he feels safe since I have been his only family and safe place in over the past 5 years. Have a great day everyone and look forward to reading your post when I return home.
With Love,
Jacqueline

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder to any of you who may send cards, remember that he does NOT know that he will not be returning home. I am sure he feels that his animals are still at his house and being fed from there so just be careful how you word anything you might write. You might remember to use the names he used - Mama and Hobo. Thanks, Jacqueline, and you are certainly welcome here. I am thinking like Susan though when she said she wouldn't give a quarter for you remaining pet-less. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
OK...one more thing....After I posted I went back to read it and there were so many more people that somehow I missed. So I do apologize for that and please know that I did read all of your welcomes to me...Thank you so much!!!

I have a feeling I am not going to be getting as much sleep as I normally get...it is already after midnight....but it is a pleasure spending time with all of you!
Good night!!
Jacqueline

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, you can stay! I wouldn't give a quarter for your chances of staying pet-less, but you can sure stay....
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Boy are they smart......they saw me coming....I was not able to finish my message because there was not any more room to write...LOL.
So here I am again.....I am ...and always will be long winded.....it is just who I am. I hope it is not too much for all of you. You can always tell me to shut up..LOL.....What I wanted to continue to say was.....That I do so appreciate all of your comments and wanted to recognize you individually...E Texan..whimstock...chemisd...Dandy Dan...dogdiva....Code2High...woodstick...and Dixie Flyer! I apologize if I left anyone out.
I will say good night for now but in time will tell you the story of Cy..and how I came to know him. BTW...I am 54 years old and drive a toyota Camry...live in a house with no husband and have no pets.....can I still stay?...LOL.....
They do call me the dog whisperer though..I also give massage to my clients dogs. How I loved my Damion who has crossed Rainbow Bridge many years ago. He was an Irish Setter who I adored and miss always!
With Love,
Jacqueline

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacqueline, Thank you for Cy's address. First thing tomorrow I'll get a card out to him.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again. Jacqueline here. I am happily overwhelmed with everyone's kind words, and thank you so much for embracing me into the "Family". I am so grateful to Richard and Sue for their amazing hearts!! Taking in MAMA (the blonde mother) and HOBO (the daughter)Cy said they were sheep Dog/German shepard. Richard still going out each and every day to Cy's place to look after the cats is such a blessing to me and today Cy has expresed how grateful he is that someone is watching over his animals. I spoke with Cy today and asked him the names of his dogs. The connection over the phone had so much interference it was difficult for both of us to hear each other. I had him spell the names so that I got it right. Next time I will ask them if they could have him in a room where there would be less interference. I think there might have been a TV near him that was causing the static..I'm grateful that I was able to speak with him! Anyway....I told Cy that I had a friend (Richard) taking care of the Dogs and that they were safe and well cared for and that they were checked at the vets as well. Cy trusts me and why I said (a friend of mine.) However I think he will make a fine friend... I did tell him that Richard was with animal rescue however I did not mention his name nor did I mention the name Old Fella Animal Rescue. Maybe in time I will be able to share the story with him and the kindness of all of you but he does not realize that he will not be returning to his homes and to his animals. I can only hope; that as sad as it is that his mind is failing somewhat, that he never will quite realize of his loss to feel the frustration and pain of not having his animals with him. I have a feeling he will become fiesty again if he becomes more clear in his mind because he lived only for those animals!! I made certain that he understood and reassuring him that his animals, Mama and Hobo and all the cats were being looked after. Again...he was able to convey that he was grateful for that.
Chemisd...and all of you that shared the thought of sending cards to Cy...Thank you...That is so wonderful.
Here is the address:
Cyrus Trecartin
Room # B27A
Heritage Healthcare of Old Capitol Inn
PO BOX 32
Louisville, GA 30434

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit - I think you have the right idea....

Jacqueline, if possible, why don't you post the hosp. address or where ever we could send notes as long as it is appropriate and you think he would enjoy it.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, once again you've brought happy tears to my eyes, this time with the pictures you took of the mama and daughter reuniting.

Welcome Jacqueline and thanks for the info on the dogs, I bet they don't know that now they are known nationwide.
Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
This is soooo wonderful, and yes it just gets better and better.

Welcome Jacqueline..........life is good.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tomorrow I will bring home the two dogs that belonged to Cy. I found out this morning that Queenie, Sue likes that name for her, is younger than we thought, about five years old. I went to Dr. Ford's while I was out and spent some time with the mother and daughter. I played with them and they enjoyed the time spent and would come and beg for me to keep on touching and holding them.

Once Queenie decided to trust me she just couldn't get enough. Lady, Sue's pick for the blonde dog, is turning into a love sponge. She just sat and leaned against me, taking her paw and pulling my hand toward her wanting more attention. She was so happy to have someone spend time with her. When I left she sat at the gate with her paw on it looking at me as if to say, "don't leave me." So I decided to move things along and will pick up both dogs tomorrow and bring them home.

Claire and Suzie will have to be introduced to them one at a time to make sure all goes well. I intend to have Lady and Queenie sleep inside in kennel crates and let them spend the day outdoors in the fenced back yard. I can just feel Old Fella and Levi's approval of this new adventure and I hope they have a long and happy life here with us.

Wife Sue