cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that things went so well Richard. Mama and Hobo look great. You know how they say your animals can look like their owners or visa versa? Well...I see Cy in Mama...her eyes! I only have one picture of Cy that he sent a few years ago.....but that was the first thing I thought of when looking at Mamas face...I saw Cy...LOL....

I am so tired... so long winded I am not going to be tonight. Stop clapping...LOL....I talked to the nurse this afternoon and cy is ok but he had an episode is how she put it....and he needed oxygen. His pressure was off. but he is ok. Tomorrow I will be on a conference call to find out what the team over there at the home has evaluated him and what their thoughts are about him.

The letter is perfect Gentle Spirit!!! Send it off!
There is truth in everyones concerns......about the letters or cards.
Richard is right in his knowledge of how Cy reacts so we really don't know how he may react...using "Jacqueline" in your letters or cards will help him to know its ok.

Good night....too tired!

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, you and Sue are just the best! : )
Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Richard. I will sleep with a warm heart tonight. God indeed is good.
E.Texan

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seeing this two dogs being able to stay together is such a blessing. Hobo is so dependant on Mama and follows her lead. If Mama says its okay, then Hobo feels safe. I see now it was a miracle to be able to catch Hobo after Mama left. I also see that Mama is so obedient now that she trusts me. Tonight when I let them in from the yard I sat on the floor with them and let them loved on me. Then Mama decided it was time for bed and walked into her kennel crate, then I watched as Hobo did the same. I now have five dogs that are crate trained and house trained.

Mama is a gentle loving soul, big at 100 pounds, part sheep dog and German Shepard, but such a great companion. When I look back over the adult dogs that have come through our home, each one has been a blessing and well mannered. It seems they are all house trained and take to the kennel without a problem. I look forward to tomorrow with anticipation of watching two very happy dogs take on a new life and a new family. God is so good.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that maybe Mr. Trecartin would recieve 5-10 letters max, as not everyone does these things. Hopefully he won't take offense to it. Maybe my letter will be the only one, who knows.

Also, I was thinking about the older dog being named "Momma", that means she wasn't named until after having puppies. Maybe he adopted her as an adult with at least one puppy!?! The name Hobo also implies that they were strays possibly? Interesting trying to put the story together.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
That is very nice of you Gentle spirit. Im wondering though, (and this is just a thought) that maybe if Cy receives a lot of letters from a lot of strangers, that might be a little overwhelming to him. Im sure after a few he is going to start wondering why, people are sending him all these good wishes. This is just a thought I had and no way am I criticizing anyone.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
campincandice wrote:
The darker dog - I've lost track of who that is - is almost the spittin' image of my Max. Max's ears are just a little different. He's the most mellow and wonderful dog - I'm sure she is too!

Richard, thank you for all you do!

That is Hobo. The blonde dog's name is Mama.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice letter.

Wife Sue

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
The following is a letter I plan on sending to Mr. Trecartin, if anyone is interested. I think there is "power in prayer" and the more mail he gets, the better. Please send him your thoughts and prayers, maybe not as "wordy" as I did, but I tried to do my best without divulging any info about the Old Fella Thread or Richard. My intention is for him to know people care and not to worry about his animals, although I hope he doesn't feel his privacy has been violated. If you don't think I should send it I won't.

Dear Mr. Trecartin

Greetings to you dear man โ€“ I am writing from California to wish you only the best of care and a heartfelt โ€œGet Well soonโ€. I have heard about you from a website about animals in need and have read about your girls, Mama and Hobo. Also, your many cats whom I've read are being tenderly cared for by people with a lot of love in their hearts. Please rest assured that your beloved pets are in good hands โ€“ even though you aren't there to be with them, they aren't lacking love and you have no need to worry about them. I'm sure you miss them terribly, as I would in your situation. My beloved dogs, Brandi and Baxter, (both are โ€œin heavenโ€ now) were therapy dogs whom I trained to visit people in rest homes and hospitals. They brought so much love to people and I sincerely hope that there is an organization in your area who can bring dogs to visit you while you're not able to be with your own. I know that would cheer me up!

Jacqueline Day has become a member of our animal loving forum on the internet and she is the one who has provided your address to me because I asked if I could send you โ€œGet Wellโ€ wishes. I hope you don't mind โ€“ but I felt the need to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Somehow I feel a kinship with other animal lovers and it sounds like you are โ€œone-of-usโ€ who are the care givers of Gods furry angels.

I live in Mountain Center, California with my husband, George, 2 horses, 1 dog and 2 cats. Unfortunately, I've recently learned that my beloved horse, Dillon, an 11 year old Tennessee Walking Horse, has severely injured his rear knee and can never be ridden again, it's very sad and I am heartbroken. I'm also down to my last dog, at one time I had 4, but have lost one each year for the past 3 years. Although for many years I had a pretty good run without losing any pets. I guess we all have to learn to adjust to things in our lives, changes that are out of our control. I don't consider myself a religious person, but I do claim to be spiritual. It sounds like you too are going through a lot of changes also, having to be away from home and your pets. I hope that you are able to handle these changes with ease and comfort and I hope that you are surrounded by caring and loving people. One of the things that I have been blessed with is being comfortable with the ability to feel โ€œat homeโ€ with all sorts of people. My older sister once commented, โ€œCarole, why do you have to talk to everyone?โ€ I guess it's because I somehow feel that everyone is just like me and my family.

In closing, Mr. Trecartin, my best wishes go out to you.
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

05 Honda Pilot - toad

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Jacqueline should adopt Claire......;)
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

05 Honda Pilot - toad

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Those pictures show two very happy and LUCKY dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
I am sure Mama and Hobo think that Richard's backyard is a little piece of heaven on earth.
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
The darker dog - I've lost track of who that is - is almost the spittin' image of my Max. Max's ears are just a little different. He's the most mellow and wonderful dog - I'm sure she is too!

Richard, thank you for all you do!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here they are enjoying the great back yard.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of my wishes have come true concerning Mama and Hobo. They are having the best time in the back yard running and playing, yes the old dog is actually running and when I call her she does a double take and comes straight me just as hard as she can go with, you quessed it, Hobo right behind. It is no surprise that they both will come into the house and kennel up without a problem. They hang around the back door waiting for me to come outside, I am so pleased I cannot express it.

Suzie and Claire were both introduced to Mama and Hobo, Suzie was not the problem it was Mama protecting Hobo and when it came Claire's turn, of course Claire had to show herself, but things were quickly handled with a peaceful ending. Peaches said, "Who let the big dogs in?" as she shied away from both Mama and Hobo. I feel sure both dogs are house broken and must have had a great relationship with Cy. What a blessing to have such great dogs join the Daniels pack.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just amazed at the transfer from the vet's office to home. Both dogs got into the truck just like they had done this a thousand time before with Hobo following Mommy. When I got them home with help from my daughter we walked them into the house and into their kennel cage. Both acted as if they were home. Tails wagging, smiling faces,clean from head to toe. Because they are still damp from being bathed I am going to leave them inside for a couple of hours and them let them go outside for a turn around the yard. They are so happy right now and so am I. I will make pictures this afternoon and post them for you to see.

Right now I am so pleased with their reaction to their new home, now to get everyone adjusted to each other, Claire, Suzie and Peaches. Claire and Suzie will be the biggest problem, but I have hopes they will all get along just great.

Wife Sue