cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Well Richard I spoke too soon!! Setta just called me and said that Claire is just too big for her to take in. She would love to have a large dog but at this point in her life it is too hard for her to take care of a dog over 25LBS. The two dogs that crossed over to rainbow Bridge were large and I guess with them being sick for a long period of time it was exhausting to take care of them physically for her.

So sorry that did not work out... I was so hopeful!! she did have wonderful things to say about Claire even if Claire is too big for her. Sure wish I could take her. But I may end up on your door step and ask you to foster me for a while too......only kidding......

I'll be Claire's advocate in this neck of the woods!

I feel bad now that i got your hopes up....sorry....
Jacqueline

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dobermanlover wrote:
Richard,
Peaches sure looks slim and trim these days. Enjoyed the picture of "Richard and his girls". Maybe Mama and Hobo could lose a few pounds or are they at a good weight? That look on Mama's face is just like the picture of Old Fella looking at you Richard. So good to see that they all get along so well.

Mama and Hobo have a few pounds to lose and we are working on that. Mama is so sweet. She just wants to be very close all the time. Peaches has lost a lot of extra fat. She is about where she nneds to be. She is getting around so much better.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dobermanlover
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,
Peaches sure looks slim and trim these days. Enjoyed the picture of "Richard and his girls". Maybe Mama and Hobo could lose a few pounds or are they at a good weight? That look on Mama's face is just like the picture of Old Fella looking at you Richard. So good to see that they all get along so well.

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
By the way, when we were in the back yard taking pictures Mama decided to have a BM. Never mind about Mama being constipated...

Maybe the yard was so big it just took her a while to find the perfect spot!
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the way, when we were in the back yard taking pictures Mama decided to have a BM. Never mind about Mama being constipated...

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the gang in the back yard today.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps she has an impaction???? Keep watch on her and if it persists for more than 2 days get her to the vet....
She could have eaten something that is stuck....You dont want to give her something that could cause diarrhea.......
An animal in the wild will fast itself for several days, just to clean out its system
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Mymaize
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tube of something from the vet. Just a dab will do you. sorry I can not remember the name. You might call PetSmart if your vet is closed.

bette
Proud member of Open Roads Singles

Live - Love - Laugh - and shovel out the rest

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mama seems to be constipated, she tries to have a bowel movement and can't, any suggestions?

Wife Sue

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
I could really love Claire....however, we have Allie and Sammi and I have a crushed thumb from where I had to break those 2 apart from a fight one time. My own fault, not theirs really. I would have to be committed to bring a third dog in. She is so pretty! I mean that face on her where she is sitting on the bed! Who couldn't love that!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Claire is house trained, crate trained, spayed and has had all of her shots. She has a sweet temperament and very affectionate, loves to snuggle, gets along with cats and best of all no adoption fee.

Wife Sue

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
The one on the bed with Suzie is Claire.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
That's Claire on the bed with Suzie. You can see the Shepherd in Mama and Hobo, especially in Hobo's coloring, tail and legs. Except for the head, she looks a lot like a GSD.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Jana, The one on the bed with Suzie is Claire. Come on folks. I was brave enough to get 2 doggies from Richard and do not regret anything. It sure seems someone out there knows of a really good home or open their home to Claire. Heck, When you get a doggie from Richard, they are already trained to do most everything. Have a good weekend. Our temp went from -30 couple of dalys ago to 39 above to 18 at this time with a windchill of 6. It is no wonder that you can't get rid of a head cold.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
The one on the bed with Suzie - that's not Mama is it? I'm getting them mixed up.....
I love the snuggle time on the couch!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com