cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I am back with just one puppy a very small one at that. I don't understand some people, how could they put such a small puppy out in a storm like we had last night and expect it to survive? This one was lucky, the other maybe weren't so lucky as they may have drowned inside the pipe that ran under the road. When I go back I will carry a strong flash light to light up the inside of the pipe and hope I will see many little eyes staring back at me.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am leaving to go find eight puppies left at a dumpster. See you in a little while

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a very stormy night as some strong thunderstorms passed through our area, but no damage reported here in Waynesboro. Mama was up pacing the floor just before it hit, as she knew something was on the way. During the storm she came over to the bed and began to push on my arm with her nose until I put my hand on her and then she was okay.

Hobo didnโ€™t seem to mind the storm too much as she lay on her bed curled up in a knot, just wagging her tail when I would raise up and look at her. Suzie and Peaches slept right through it. Mamaโ€™s hips still bother her and I am thinking about changing her medication to see if something different will be better for her. Last night I got a call from one of the Old Fella volunteers about eight puppies left at a dumpster out in the county. Reportedly they were taking refuge in a storm drain. The volunteer went out to investigate, but didnโ€™t find anything in the pitch black dark so I will go out this morning and have a look.

Hobo is looking at me this morning with cocked ears and head to one side as if trying to say something or anticipate my next move. She has come a long way since she has been here, but she still has a long way to go in accepting change. I donโ€™t know what she will do when her Mama has gone to Rainbow Bridge. She will be one lost little girl. Did I say โ€œLittle?โ€ She is anything but little! She has the softest fur and skin and the most beautiful eyes. Okay I have to go for now. Wait a minute, I just heard a report that there has been a death in Hancock County, Georgia and a lot of damage in another county from last nightโ€™s storms. Sorry to hear that. I hope all the fur babies are warm this morning being safe and snug in a their homes. By the way, Claire is doing great at last report. Se ya!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next week I am going to take individual pictures of Cy's cats and start posting them around just to get some feed back.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a story in the local newspaper and a spot on the local tv STATION might stir up intrest in Cys kitties
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a way to start the day. Claire has adjusted and the mamma cat and kittens have found a home. Two more happy endings in the saga of the Daniels clan.
I was thinking of the cats at Cy's and was wondering if some RV parks would be interested in adopting them. Out here in the west there can be problems with damage to RV's since the rodents seem to like the wiring. So some RV parks actually have cats to take care of this problem. Just a thought.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I am truly amazed at how you keep finding these homes for these animals. So many people will not even try to find ONE home for an animal and you have found so many and helped so many fur babies. I imagine when it is your time to leave this earth and move on, that there is going to be such a celebration at the Rainbow Bridge. So many grateful animals waiting there to meet you and tell you how much they love you for all you have done for the rescue cause around the nation.

I am sure Levi, Bart, Old Fella and Charlie have been regaling them all with wonderful stories of how great you are. And they are soooooo right! You and Sue are truly two people with hearts of gold and we are all better off for knowing you.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
That is awesome news Richard!! Glad it worked out.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

dturm
At a week or two of age, the kittens are not going anywhere anyway. The only difference being in a carrier with mom will be that the carrier is in a vehicle. The movement may actually help them sleep, as long as mom cat is OK with the travel. Good news about finding a home.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take pictures, Richard. I'd love to see mama and babies and the transfer. And thanks for all you do for the animals in your area.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kokosfriend wrote:
You are doing God's work for God's creatures!! Thank you. We had a cat that RVed with us and took him on a 12 hour ride one time. He was diabetic and it was a little rough on him, but not bad. Do they have a calming spray for cats!!?? That would be good to have. the kittens are getting their own calming meds. I think everyone has written good ideas for you to follow.

Barb

We have Comfort spray for cats and also Rescue Remedy. It looks as if everything is in place for the exchange. I cannot thank the people of this forum enough for all that they do. I don't know how many times the FOOF's have stepped up to the plate when it counted to bring about a happy ending to a story that could have been tragic. The Affinity Group and the Good Sam people sure knew what they were doing when they came up with the idea of this forum, without them non of this would be happening.

We will make the exchange in St. Augustine, Florida at the Good Sam campground North Beach Campgroundon Saturday afternoon.

Wife Sue

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing God's work for God's creatures!! Thank you. We had a cat that RVed with us and took him on a 12 hour ride one time. He was diabetic and it was a little rough on him, but not bad. Do they have a calming spray for cats!!?? That would be good to have. the kittens are getting their own calming meds. I think everyone has written good ideas for you to follow.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, sounds great, except for you to have to drive so far and in cold weather. That's remarkably kind of you! Kitty moms are almost hypnotized by the nursing hormones, they are so tranquil, and the kittens will never know where they are, or care, as long as mama is close. Keep in mind that the mama cat will need lots of water (not milk!) and cat food in order to feed those kittens adequately. Provide water at every opportunity. She likely will not need to potty as much as a non-lactating kitty would. If you see her getting up and seeming to want away from the kittens that will mean "litter box." If cat and kits are in a carrier, I'd cover it with a blanket so as to make it as warm and safe feeling as possible. Thank you, thank you, Richard and Sue!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I think its a rockin' idea... especially when we consider the alternatives. If you can find a bigger carrier with room for a little litter box, that would be nice. If not, then plan A sounds workable. I would give her a break or two though at a rest stop. Even if you had a second carrier there in the truck that you could put her in with just her box for a minute, that would be good.

The kittens will suffer less than anyone. All they do is sleep and eat anyway, and the vehicle will be much the same to them as anywhere else. I just drove back from Tulsa to CA in two days of driving, with a 6 week old kitten... she was fine.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
Should be ok, just put her in the litter box just before leaving and maybe when you stop for a break do the same. Socks has ridden as much as 8 hours without getting out. You should introduce her to the carrier right away. Sure glad it worked out.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable