cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was one of the best camping trips we had last summer. This was Charlie's best time with us. I was so hurt to find out he had cancer. I wish we had more time together, I miss him a lot.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Last night it was all I could do to sleep, because Izzie was on my mind.....I then went to the couch, covered myself with a throw blanket, Izzie climbed onto my belly and we both went sound asleep. This morning I am tired, but Izzie is rested and happy, I hope he stays that way for a while.

What a heart-warming post. You inspire me in so many ways. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are some of our friends from the colony. These are all nice kitties, very friendly.

This one is really my buddy. She follows me everywhere I go and when I sit down she will always jump in my lap.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Sarah Update, So far so good. Sarah is happy and is doing pretty well. She is being taken out on a leash to do her business and not allowed on any steps. The vet said that if this does not stay in then the FHO-Femoral Head Osteotomy will be in order. Keeping our fingers crossed.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

silverdunes
Explorer
Explorer
but Izzie is rested and happy,

Glad to read that Izzie had some quality time with her daddy!!!! your recount of the evening struggle was very humourus! Always enjoy reading your stories.

Hope you have time in your busy schedule to work on your book.
Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
It is hard to give attention all the time, but poor Izzy really needs it.
The quiet time in the morning worked out, just be aware of the opportunity to give eadh one the attention they wantbut be sure to give yourself some time to regenerate.....
Any more poisonings in the area. I sure hope not as that is so scary and cruel

So far I have not heard of any more poisoning in the neighborhood.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to give attention all the time, but poor Izzy really needs it.
The quiet time in the morning worked out, just be aware of the opportunity to give eadh one the attention they wantbut be sure to give yourself some time to regenerate.....
Any more poisonings in the area. I sure hope not as that is so scary and cruel
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night it was all I could do to sleep, because Izzie was on my mind. Izzie has to be shut out of the bedroom or he climbs on the nightstand next to the bed for attention. Then if that isn't enough he will get on my chest or stomach to sleep making it difficult to breath. Have you ever been awakened by a large ball of fur in your face? Those are some of the reasons Izzie is shut out of the bedroom. Well last night as I went to bed Izzie was waiting at the bedroom door trying to get in. I felt sorry for him as I watched him get trampled several times last night trying to squeeze into a position to get some attention. First it was Suzie who jumped up on the couch and then lay stretched out with the full length of her body covering the couch. Izzie lay at the foot of the couch looking for an opportunity to lay next to me. While he is contemplating the jump onto the couch, Peaches jumps up and forces her way into my lap stepping on Izzieโ€™s tail in the process. Mama and Hobo then wanted attention and came over making Izzie a flat spot on the rug. Mama stood on Izzieโ€™s tail and then stepped on Izzieโ€™s leg and with that Izzie began to hiss and claw at Mama and Hobo. Sue intervened and scooped up Izzie putting him in her lap.

Mama wasnโ€™t done and now wants Sueโ€™s attention and that is when Izzie almost jumped Mama. Things settled down for a while with Mama going back to her bed and Hobo settling down on the floor next to the couch. Izzie then sees an opening on the couch so he jumps down only to face Hoboโ€™s great big thick tail thumping the floor but in the process hitting Izzie in the face, whap, whap, whap. The ears go flat, the eyes turn black, the back arches with hair raising up on the back. Now Mama hasnโ€™t a clue to the irritation and rage that Izzie is in, walks over pushing Izzie to one side, sits down and with her huge size she is dwarfing Izzie much like a mountain would cover up a smaller landscape. Sue is watching Izzie very closely and is ready to spring into action to save someone, but at this point she is not sure who. Surely Izzie wouldnโ€™t take on Mama, or would he? Izzie gets to his feet, stares at Mama, then Hobo and then makes his play. Mama hardly feels the attack to her rear because of her thick fur, but she is aware of something that is going on. She stands up, looks at Izzie and then sits back down as if to say, โ€œWatch it buddy.โ€
Sue grabs Izzie and puts him in her lap and holds him in an embrace talking to him trying to defuse the situation. In the mean while Suzie, Peaches and Hobo are in total ignorance as to what is happening with Izzie. For the first time I realized the frustration Izzie is going through dealing with the canine crowd. That is why I was thinking so much about Izzie at bed time.

As usual I will get up about three in the morning to go to the bathroom and this morning I was feeling as if I had low blood sugar so I went into the kitchen for some orange juice before going back to bed. Izzie met me in the kitchen rubbing against my legs all the while talking to me in cat language which means, โ€œNow I have you all to myself.โ€ I then went to the couch, covered myself with a throw blanket, Izzie climbed onto my belly and we both went sound asleep. This morning I am tired, but Izzie is rested and happy, I hope he stays that way for a while.

Wife Sue

joang
Explorer
Explorer
The dog I had in college had a femoral head osteotomy when he was a relative youngster, due to severe hip dysplasia. He was in such pain that he would go outside to run around and would literally run and wimper at the same time! He was already a good 50 pounds when he had the surgery and the vet hoped that he'd recover quickly since he was so young. Instead, he gimped around on 3 legs for nearly a year! I think he was enjoying the attention! Eventually, we did get him to walk on 4 legs, it just took some creative 'therapy' and time. It was nice to see him pain free though, even hopping around funny!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine's dog of truly unknown heritage - Hershey was a drop off in the country - he was such a tiny puppy but grew HUGE. Anyway, he had that surgery and although he walked a little sideways with a sway at his hips that any runway model would love, he did fine. That surgery was probably 6-7 years ago and he just died of old age this past fall. Anna will do just fine.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
My sister adopted a german shepard mix about 45 lbs. The dog, now named Sierra, had been hit by a car and left for dead when a no-kill shelter got her and paid for expensive hip surgery. It sounds alot like the surgery that Sarah may end up having. The ball of the hip was removed - I don't know the details - but you should see this dog run! She certainly is not crippled in any way. You would never know there was ever anything wrong. When my sister told me about the surgery, I questioned - how could they remove the ball of the hip? What would hold the bone in place? She said she didn't know. It all sounded strange to me. But, I've seen that dog (about 3 years old now) run and play with her "brother" a golden retriever - nothing is holding her back. So, if Sarah has to have the surgery, hopefully she'll have a full recovery and do just as well. My heart goes out to little Sarah, she's been through so much - BUT, she now has a home and lots of love and prayers going her way.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope and pray that this time Sarah's hip joint will stay in place. Best of God's blessings for Sarah, Dan, Lori and Anna.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped by the Vets office and ended up bringing Sarah home with us. The vet said that the hip stayed in through the night and that if it comes out again.........well, then surgery. The one will probably be the one that Dr Doug was talking about where they take off the ball and let the muxcles take over. Would be around a 6 week recovery.
The only way Sarah can go outside will be on a leash and no steps. Jenni knows all of this and is still going to come over and take care of the animals. Sarah will be staying home this trip. You will have to meet her in June.:(
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Dan I hope Sarah is resting well and I pray whatever you decide for her will be successful. Having a fur baby that is not well is stressful to say the least. I remember the days with Fella with his many ups and downs, Sue could tell my moods by what was going on with Fella and all the rest of the babies when they weren't doing well.

Thank goodness you have Jennie to help with Sarah if you have to leave her behind. I know you would love to take her with you on the trip, so we will be praying that somehow things will work out for you to be able to do that.

So far we have things worked out for Hobo while we are gone, but Sue and I are worried about leaving Hobo behind by herself. She depends so much on Mama and now Suzie I am afraid she would be very stressed out. This morning Hobo came into the kitchen and put her head in my lap and stayed there looking up at me with those big brown eyes full of love.

Sue and I have figured out part of Izzie's problem. He is angry with me because I haven't shown him any attention lately. He wanted in my lap this morning and Suzie came and pushed him out of the way. The ears went flat, the eyes turned black and the paw came around with a slap to Suzie's face. I picked Izzie up and took him to an area where we could be alone for a while and then he was okay. I guess he tells us he is unhappy the only way he knows how that really gets our attention. Izzie gets along with Mama and Hobo, but just wants some of the attention they are getting. Anyway we will see if this will make him happy.

Peaches has become a very sweet little girl, always waiting for attention without making a big deal out of it. She will sit by the way side waiting for some kind word or pat on the head, or a place in the lap. Last night as she lay in my lap she looked up at me and gave me the biggest kiss and just talked to me as if to say how much she loved me. When you have so many who want your attention, how do you spread it around so they all get their equal share?

Okay, I have to go for now, so everyone have a blessed morning and give you fur babies a hug.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
After talking to Richard, it was determined that the hip we are having trouble with is the same one that was dislocated by the accident. The vet put it back in last night but we are waiting to see what they have to say today. Sarah is still at the vets. He was glad to hear the info about the dislocation from the accident being the same one we are having trouble with as that explains some things to him. He wants to try seeing if it will heal without surgery but if it goes out again this morning, then she will be on the surgery list as this will be closer to the last resort. This now makes 4 times the hip has been dislocated. I am going to ask the vet about the procedure that Dr. Doug talked about. I think it is the same one that he had described prior that will take around 6 weeks of very little activity to heal. More after a while. She will be at the vets at least 10 days for now to aid in healing.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member