cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope everyone has a safe trip to the rally and although I will be at work I'll be with you in spirt.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, again Congratulations on the award, travel safe to this rally everyone, Dan, Lori thanks for the pictures, looks like your having a good time. At least I know Anna is, with that rawhide. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wish I could go to the rally, but its just not in the plans at this time. Take Care everyone, and Godspeed.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a few more days Sue and I will be headed out on our trip to Albuquerque for the big rally and the presentation of the RVer of the year award. Dan and Lori have already left and have stopped over in Nashville to visit with some friends before moving on to Memphis to visit Mary. We will be leaving on Saturday or Sunday stopping over in Memphis also to visit with Mary. After all the planning for Mama to go with us, Sue and I have about decided to leave her behind so Hobo will not be left by herself for two weeks. Maybe Mama can go with us to the Old Fella Rally in Ohio in June. Hobo is making progress but she still has a long way to go.

Sue from ABC Campground in Branson sent me an article from the January issue of Woodall that the campgrounds get concerning the RVer of the year award. Those are the nicest people and we have really enjoyed our stays there, maybe we will be able to get back for another visit sometime soon. If any of you happen to get back to Branson this summer say hello to Michelle and Sue for us.

I really donโ€™t know what to expect concerning the award for being named RVer of the Year, but Sue and I are excited about going and meeting some of the Good Sam people as well as getting to see some of the Friends Of Old Fella. The memorial for Old Fella is planned and when we get back from New Mexico we will have a few days before the dedication of the memorial. What a wonderful honor for Fella to have a place in the City Park in honor of him as well as his portrait hanging in the Burke County Public Library. After I am dead and gone he will be remembered for generations to come as the โ€œVery Old Strayโ€ that changed a community and touched hearts of people all across this Nation. What a wonderful tribute to such a sweet gentle soul.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
We were around Nashville today and visited Centennial Park where they have a repro of the Parthenon. Ate at an upscale Chinese Bistro with no Chinese in it. There was a big circular mural on the wall surrounding the bar area. Here are a few pix so far starting in the rain through Cinci. Trip to Albuquerque-First leg
The temp today got up to 67. Daffodils, Tulips and Pansies in full bloom and trees are leafing out and people are mowing lawns.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dandy Dan wrote:
Good Morning, What a difference down here. Talked to Jenni and home had some snow. Down here we just have the Maple Spinners hitting the roof. It is 41* here now and is to get to 65* today. We hope to catch up with some folks that we have not seen in a while while in Nashville. We will probably leave Wednesday morning and toddle towards Mary in Memphis. At least that is the tentative plan. Since we are not in any big hurry to get somewhere plans can be changed. What a difference it is going to be not setting up in one spot for a length of time and going from there. We have not ever jumped from spot to spot so this will be a new experience. Time to get started. Will check in later.

Have fun and be careful. See you in a few days.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, What a difference down here. Talked to Jenni and home had some snow. Down here we just have the Maple Spinners hitting the roof. It is 41* here now and is to get to 65* today. We hope to catch up with some folks that we have not seen in a while while in Nashville. We will probably leave Wednesday morning and toddle towards Mary in Memphis. At least that is the tentative plan. Since we are not in any big hurry to get somewhere plans can be changed. What a difference it is going to be not setting up in one spot for a length of time and going from there. We have not ever jumped from spot to spot so this will be a new experience. Time to get started. Will check in later.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan, glad to hear from you and that you made it to Nashville okay. Give Mary a hug for us when you see her and tell her Sue and I will be following you in a few days. Memphis will be our first stop once we hit the road. I told Sue the fuel prices would start to climb before we left and sure enough they are. Diesel has gone from 189.9 to 209.9 in just the last few days. You know it's the spring blend, summer blend thing that gives them an excuse.

Here in Augusta with the Masters Golf Tournament coming the fuel prices always go up. Those oil people are never at a loss as to how to get deeper into our pockets.

Hobo got caught this morning sneaking food. Suzie never eats all of her food, but saves most of it for the afternoon. Hobo went into Suzie's kennel crate and ate it all, so much for the weight loss program for her. Suzie is getting thinner while Hobo is getting fatter. Next Sunday we travel to Atlanta to be on the local Fox News program then we return home to start packing for the trip to Albuquerque. Sue and I have been thinking about taking Mama with us leaving Hobo at home by herself. Everytime I get comfortable with that decision I start thinking that Hobo will be lost without Mama, but then I start thinking about the ten days Hobo was alone at Cy's while I tried to catch her to bring her home. She seemed to do okay then.

I guess I will have to make that final decision when the time comes, but in the meanwhile I will start planning the trip and getting ready. Boy the weather is still cold here in the Deep South! It was in the 30's here this morning with a high of only 68* today. We got lots of much needed rain over the weekend and I heard the lake rose to 330 over the last month which is a big, big change. During the summer it got down to 289 a big thirty one foot drop from pool stage. I remember taking Fella to the lake last spring and watching him bog down in the mud and having to go get him as he could get out by himself. I remember how dissapointed he was that he couldn't swim in his favorite swimming hole. It was then I realized how close we were to loosing hime. He still managed to make the trip to Branson, but it took a lot out of him. We have kept the red wagon we bought for him to ride in when he was not able to walk around the block. He would ride in that wagon and bark as if saying "look at me." What a great dog he was, one that will always hold my heart captive with the love I felt for him.

When we get back from New Mexico the Old Fella Memorial will be held at the city park April 30th at ten in the morning. The statue made in his honor will be placed in the park for generations to come to see and remember this gentle soul that sparked a movement to rescue animals all across this nation. What memories we have of him and his spirit.

Wife Sue

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to meeting up with the "gang" in Memphis. Call me when you get here and I will meet you.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
HiAll, We made Nashville by evening. Was a windy drive down here. Weather was 38-49. It is in the low 40's right now. the weather for the rest of the week is to be in the upper 60's until Saturday and then in the 70's. Probably be here until Wednesday then on to Memphis to harass Mistress of Distress and take in the sights. Anna says hi to all. Jenni says that Sarah was unhappy to hearf the truck start without her in it when we left. Hopefully she will be healthy for the next outing.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan, Lori and Anna are on the road to New Mexico.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Anna, tell the truth, you will enjoy being the "only child" and the center of attention for this trip! :W Hope your sis Sarah is all better soon.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Anna, You have very nice spelling for a cute dog!
Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
WOOF! My humans and I are getting readdy to leave for parts unknown until the middle of April. Then we will be in Albuquerque to honor Daddy 1 for being the guy he is and rescuing me. Good Sam is also honoring him as being a good camper and call it RVer of the year. I think this is cuz he uses his camper a lot to help us little furries.
Then I get to go back to my old home with Daddy 1 and Momma 1 and see my sister Suzie and the rest of the gang. While I am there, my humans told me that somebody is going to put a statue of Old Fella in the Waynesboro City Park. I am going to be there for that. Sure am glad they are honoring Daddy 1 and the "Old Black Dog" He sure helped me to start to learn how to act. Well, it is time for me to go outside and investigate so I will paw on the computer later.

PS. It is sad but my new sister has to stay home and be taken care of by Aunt Jenni. Sarah is still not out of the woods and has to stay rather quiet to let her hip heal. Sarah and I will both be at the Old Fella Rally in June though. That way we can meet everybody.

Love
Anna
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanderlost wrote:
How's Izzie doing, Richard?

Izzie is doing well. He has settled down and taking life in stride. Cat's are like some people I know, every once in a while that get sideways and it takes a while to get straightened out.

This morning was a good morning to stay in bed a little while longer. The sky is very dark and it is pouring down rain. Mama is helping me type this morning as she sits next to me. She is one very large dog! I would have loved to have seen her when she was young, she must have been beautiful. Her ears are all knotted from having been chewed on at some point, kind of like a boxer with cauliflower ears after going through many rounds of boxing. I suppose there is nothing can be done at this point to help them, and it gives her character. She is doing so well with her rear leg and you can tell she is very happy and pain free.

Sue and I are anxious looking forward to our trip to New Mexico and getting to meet a lot of nice folks and seeing some old friends at the same time. This trip gave me an excuse to buy a Mor/Ryde rubber Pin Box for the fiver. I convinced Sue it would be like riding on a cloud compared to the way we have been without it. Some of the roads will give you an awful ride when the cracks in the highway are not spaced right. Between the Georgia line and Birmingham, Alabama is some of the roughest road I have ever been on. The camper gets to chucking back and forth until you feel you are going to get sea sick. The Mor/Ryde people were so nice in getting the pin box to me in record time so I could install it before our trip. When I get to the Rally I will have to go by the Mor/Ryde display and thank Gary Wheeler personally.

Sue has promised to take me to Augusta to get some wonderful Bar-B-Que for lunch so I had better get moving. Talk with you later

Wife Sue

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
How's Izzie doing, Richard?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more