cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday I did some serious yard work in the 95* heat and today I need to clean the outside of the camper. The weather man said the high today would be 100* and with the temperature already at 79 this morning he may be right. What did we do when there wasn't air/conditioned houses, offices, automobiles and so on.

My Grandfather's house had a large screened in back porch with beds lined side by side the full length of the porch. There was a large fan which hung from the ceiling at one end of the porch and that was their A/C. We slept out there in the hot summer months and I can remember hearing the crickets, frogs and the night owls making their noise while I lay there. Then as the night wore on I listened to the snore of the older more experienced nostrils that could drown out a steam locomotive in full throttle.

Then there was the cat that would come visit each bed until he found the exact one he wanted to settle in for the night. Of course he wasn't welcome in just any bed as you would hear a snore interupted and the rustling of covers and the words, "Get". There would be the thump on the floor as four paws jumped from the bed and looked for another place to visit. Most likely he would settle in with me at the foot of the bed and then attack my toes that wiggled under the covers.

By morning the roster would crow signaling everyone it was time to get up. Grandmother and Grandfather would always be the first up and soon you could smell the beacon frying in the pan with the aroma of brewing coffee filling the air. I would lay there and think, โ€œSome day when I grow up I will be able to drink coffee just like the grownupsโ€. Granny always had a cat or a dog. I donโ€™t remember the dog as well as I do the cat, but the pictures of him showed him to be a small terrier, brown and white with a bobbed tail. He had a long snout and short front legs compared to his rather long rear legs. His ears stood straight up as if he was listening to whatever was going on. Old Fella would have fit right in with this crowd and most likely would have found his place with granny hanging around the kitchen waiting for some crumbs to fall to the floor, or the occasional hand out she would slip him on the sly.

I love to take these trips down memory lane and recall the days of my childhood spending time with my grandparents in Waycross, Georgia. Sometime I will tell you about the summer I spent with them in 1952, it was an exciting time in my life and one I will never forget.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
campincandice wrote:
Richard, I know all about waiting for the right time for a trip such as what you are planning. And the need to sell your house first... My DH and I waited for the right time, primarily when our youngest DS was out of high school and we could just take off. Then my DH died a few months ago at 54 of brain cancer. All of those dreams are gone...

I sold our Suburban right away, because for a year I watched it sitting outside, reminding me of what couldn't happen. And yes, I can tow and backup, but I can't lift the equalizer to put it on the truck.

I miss DH terribly, however I go up to our TT on a seasonal site every weekend. My dreams have changed...

Life can change in a second that alters our lives and our dreams. With your husband dying at age 54 I am assuming that you are still a young person with many good years left in front of you. If that being the case just keep your hope and faith if that is what you want, that someday your day will come to return to a life style that you were accustom to with your husband. Good things come to those who wait and walk close to the Lord. I am convinced of that as I have been through many dark periods in my life time only to have the clouds of doubt pass away and the blue sky of hope open up new horizons that I thought were impossible.
Beginning in 1979 I went through a very hard ten years and almost lost everything I had hoped and dreamed of. The price I paid was much more than I really wanted to go through, today I have more than I have ever had or hoped to have. I often think about Old Fella waiting in that campground five years for someone to save him. Then when someone really wanted to rescue him he was afraid and ran from the very person who would become his soul mate and lasting love. Sometimes in fear of the unknown we retreat within ourselves only to realize later someone was always there to make things right. I hope things are right with you and if they arenโ€™t, just keep the faith that someday it will be your turn once again to find that grace that will complete your dreams. Maybe someday we just might meet you at a campground somewhere enjoying something you thought was lost.

I hope I havenโ€™t over stepped my bounds here, just trying to encourage.

Oh no Richard, you haven't overstepped your bounds! My DH had, and I have a very strong faith, which has kept me going. I'm surrounded by lots of family and friends, and I know I will continue to be blessed. And maybe someday I'll be able to do some serious traveling via an RV, but if not then I'm sure some other dream will take its place!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will keep you posted.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have requested the campsites on top of the hill next to the water tower. That is where we all stayed during the first rally and there is a nice grassey area there and it is close to the pavilion where we will have our meals. Cindy and Roger, I do hope you can make it to this one also, you did a great job for the Ohio Old Fella Rally.

By the way, we need someone to be the host for this rally. I am not that good at planning such things and may make a mess out of it. I will take care of getting it started but need someone to plan the activities such as food and meals and auction. I will take care of reservations for the Branson Belle for the one evening when we get a tally on how many to plan for.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
maltese-lover2 wrote:
Okay everyone. We just made our reservations and Kelly, it's $27 as a deposit and $27 a night. I haven't got the confirmation yet, but I'm sure if you give them notice, it would be refundable. Even if its not, that's not a lot for a cancellation fee.

Hope you can go. Would love to meet you and am looking forward to meeting ones that we didn't meet in Albuquerque.

Gigi

I am so glad you and Scott have signed up. Sue and I enjoyed being with you in Albuquerque and look forward to seeing you again.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kfancii wrote:
Dandy Dan wrote:
Michelle from ABC called and confirmed that they are now accepting reservations for the 2010 Old Fella Rally in Branson. Ours and Jim and Mable's are in and confirmation letters should be coming shortly. Don't forget to get your reservations in so they can get us a good spot in the campgrounds. You can post the results on the Old Fella Rally thread. Hope to see a bunch of you all there.

Dan/Richard- Do you know what the cancellation policy is if for some reason we were not able to make it after signing up? It is sometimes hard for us to plan a year out, but DH said this might be fun and seemed up for it!

I will call Michelle and ask her about a cancellation fee.

Wife Sue

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Okay everyone. We just made our reservations and Kelly, it's $27 as a deposit and $27 a night. I haven't got the confirmation yet, but I'm sure if you give them notice, it would be refundable. Even if its not, that's not a lot for a cancellation fee.

Hope you can go. Would love to meet you and am looking forward to meeting ones that we didn't meet in Albuquerque.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Kfancii
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Michelle from ABC called and confirmed that they are now accepting reservations for the 2010 Old Fella Rally in Branson. Ours and Jim and Mable's are in and confirmation letters should be coming shortly. Don't forget to get your reservations in so they can get us a good spot in the campgrounds. You can post the results on the Old Fella Rally thread. Hope to see a bunch of you all there.

Dan/Richard- Do you know what the cancellation policy is if for some reason we were not able to make it after signing up? It is sometimes hard for us to plan a year out, but DH said this might be fun and seemed up for it!
Kelly
Wally - 9 Yr. Rescued Aussie/Newfie/Lab Mix
Cooper - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Aussie Mix
Jack - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Golden/Chow Mix
Lucy- 2 Yr. Old Rescued Border Collie Mix

28ft. Work&Play 5'er

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I am voting every day I can get to a place that is on line and everyday at home.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
campincandice wrote:
Richard, I know all about waiting for the right time for a trip such as what you are planning. And the need to sell your house first... My DH and I waited for the right time, primarily when our youngest DS was out of high school and we could just take off. Then my DH died a few months ago at 54 of brain cancer. All of those dreams are gone...

I sold our Suburban right away, because for a year I watched it sitting outside, reminding me of what couldn't happen. And yes, I can tow and backup, but I can't lift the equalizer to put it on the truck.

I miss DH terribly, however I go up to our TT on a seasonal site every weekend. My dreams have changed...

Life can change in a second that alters our lives and our dreams. With your husband dying at age 54 I am assuming that you are still a young person with many good years left in front of you. If that being the case just keep your hope and faith if that is what you want, that someday your day will come to return to a life style that you were accustom to with your husband. Good things come to those who wait and walk close to the Lord. I am convinced of that as I have been through many dark periods in my life time only to have the clouds of doubt pass away and the blue sky of hope open up new horizons that I thought were impossible.
Beginning in 1979 I went through a very hard ten years and almost lost everything I had hoped and dreamed of. The price I paid was much more than I really wanted to go through, today I have more than I have ever had or hoped to have. I often think about Old Fella waiting in that campground five years for someone to save him. Then when someone really wanted to rescue him he was afraid and ran from the very person who would become his soul mate and lasting love. Sometimes in fear of the unknown we retreat within ourselves only to realize later someone was always there to make things right. I hope things are right with you and if they arenโ€™t, just keep the faith that someday it will be your turn once again to find that grace that will complete your dreams. Maybe someday we just might meet you at a campground somewhere enjoying something you thought was lost.

I hope I havenโ€™t over stepped my bounds here, just trying to encourage.

Wife Sue

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Please vote.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer

Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Pixie.

Its all in the planning stages right now and I don't know if it will be possible by next summer or not. What I left out was we would like to go from California all the way up to Canada and then travel from British Columbia to Quebec and then back home. This is our dream trip that will have to wait until the time is right. If we sell the house and build another one that is when this would be possible. It's all in Gods hands so we will wait for Him to tell us when it is time to go.
By all means if we come your way we would stop to say hello and visit with you. There are some others along the way we would like to see as well, so this will be our dream trip until God makes it possible.

Wife Sue

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh, Richard, if you make it to Northern California it is only a hop, skip and a jump to Oregon. I'd love to see you, Sue and the gang. Pixie
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)