cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,300 REPLIES 32,300

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is very over cast this morning with a threat of rain, but cleaing this afternoon. The girls have all be fed and waiting for the morning walk. Mama feels as if she has been cheated with her food. She weighs one-hundred pounds and has to be cut back so she doesn't get down with her joints. She gets around good except when she gets tired and then she groans getting up and down. Hobo and Peaches are on WD Science Diet dry food and it has worked for them, so I am hoping it will also work for Mama.

The camper is supposed to be ready Wednesday with a new Shower stall installed, let's hope this is the fix I have been waiting for. I love the Grand Junction and think it is a real beauty. The inside with the Cherry cabinets and the fit and finish of the entire unit made a big impression on me from the beginning. It has been the electrical, the slide-outs and the shower leaking into the basement that have worn me down. The slide-outs was an easy repair and so was the electrical, it is the business of water leaking from the shower that has been so frustrating. Anyway I have been assured this will take care of the problem and we will have carefree camping the rest of the year.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the rally in Branson in June. If anyone hasn't signed up yet better look at the rally thread for the "Old Fella Rally Branson Missouri" check out the rates and put your name in the pot. You can't beat the deal we have on full service sites especially located in downtown Bransion. The campground is just gorgeous. The sites are level and have plenty of space between units. At $15.00 per night you can't beat it.

Okay, I need to get moving, have a blessed day and I will talk with you later.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
campingshadow wrote:
Once back in the trailer she ran to make sure her rug was there, her bed was there, her toys were all there (I swear she counted everyone of them - about 20), checked to make sure there was food and water and then went to my bed and went to sleep. She has been sleeping now for about 3 hours. Staying in a kennel must be very tiring. I hate to leave her there, but it would have been a disaster to keep her here with the kids. And I missed her! Too bad there was no way to explain to her that she need not worry, I would be back.

Ah, peace and quiet again. How I have missed it!!!!

Our pets can be so funny about their stuff. Suzie knows where all of her toys are and no one is allowed to touch them without her okay. Peaches has her toys and no one is allowed to touch them under any circumstances. Hobo and Mama could care less about things like that except when it comes to their beds in the bedroom. Mama has her bed, Hobo has her bed and the hang with the rest of you!

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my son and grandchildren (18 mos and 4 yrs old) come from Hawaii and visit for 5 days. Heidi had to go stay in a kennel as she is definitely not a kid dog...she is way too sensitive and timid to be around rowdy kids. The family left today and Heidi got to come home. She made a beeline to the truck when she made her escape from the kennel office and then glued herself to me till we got home.

Once back in the trailer she ran to make sure her rug was there, her bed was there, her toys were all there (I swear she counted everyone of them - about 20), checked to make sure there was food and water and then went to my bed and went to sleep. She has been sleeping now for about 3 hours. Staying in a kennel must be very tiring. I hate to leave her there, but it would have been a disaster to keep her here with the kids. And I missed her! Too bad there was no way to explain to her that she need not worry, I would be back.

Ah, peace and quiet again. How I have missed it!!!!
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
dwb619 too funny. Glad it wasn't anything worse.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
Try this on. 3:00 A.M., dining room and kitchen erupt, Rottie and Pitt raising h--l, turning over furniture, acting like they want to kill.
Jump from bed, grab pistol,get to the scene.
They were chasing a MOUSE!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
Can you take Izzy out on a leash, he may soon loose interest.....

Taking Izzie out on a leash would be like taking a rattle snake for a walk. You would never know which end was coming after youโ€ฆ..

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Can you take Izzy out on a leash, he may soon loose interest.....
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy the power of suggestion! I dreamed last night I was walking in the woods and came across two skunks and had to run to escape their perfume. I once saw a tame skunk that was brown. He was a beautiful thing and very well behaved. He had the run of the house and the fenced back yard. I remember he was big and fat and waddled when he walked.

Izzie has been allowed into the back yard during the day and he has started jumping the wooden fence. So he has been grounded and he doesnโ€™t like it one bit. He thinks he should go outside with the girls in the mornings and the back door should be left open for him to come and go as he pleases. When he doesnโ€™t behave and I have to go find him, he hisses when I pick him up to show his displeasure. This morning the bedroom door was left open so he came into the bedroom, jumped up on the night stand, turning everything over and knocking things to the floor meowing to go outside. This gets the girls going and now they want to go outside so the circus began, bark, bark, bark, meow, meow, meow. Finally Sue gets up and lets the girls out, but not Izzie. โ€œWHAT? Iโ€™m not going to be allowed out?โ€ and off he runs heavy footed into the great room to watch out the sliding glass doors at the party outside. He stands by the door when the girls come in hoping to be able to escape outside. The rush inside by the girls is always fast and furious, being the delicate cat he is, not wanting to get stepped on, he always misses his chance to make the great escape.

Now he lays by the door hoping one of the girls will want to go back outside and he can then make his break for it. Foiled again because I know what he is up to so I let the girls outside by calling them to the bedroom and letting them out through the bedroom door, Oh the games we play with our animals.

Okay, have a nice day everyone, talk with you later.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
LOVE the quote........thanks for sharing
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Great news on the PSA, Richard! I believe I called it - an infection. Glad it's all gone now.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Pepe had a preference for female cats with white paint on their backs. At least, they don't make a stink (not literally, anyway).
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

ngraef
Explorer
Explorer
I ran across this quote on the web and had to share with you guys, it's so true. I don't know who the author is.

" it come to me that every time I lose a dog , they take a piece of my heart with them,. And everytime a new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be a dog , and I will become as generous and loving as they are ..."

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmmm- what's for lunch Doc?

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Good news, Richard. Glad to hear you're doing OK.

We were supposed to get some light snow last night, with most of it going to the north and west of us. At the last minute, the storm moved south, and we got socked with at least 4 inches of wet snow, and the roads are a solid sheet of ice. I was supposed to go to Camping World today to get my fan upgrade installed, but it looks like that will be postponed by a couple of weeks.

I thought I was finally rid of the skunks, but they came back. The wildlife guy is supposed to be back tomorrow to install a different (and more expensive) one-way door, which he says never fails. Let's hope he's right.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Good news, Richard!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates