cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard Perhaps you could keep some of Fellas ashes with you......
I plan on having the ashes of my beloved companions , either buried with me or scattered with my ashes, wherever I choose to be scattered.....
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
According to the site "quantcast.com",

"Addicts are the hardcore segment of a site's audience who have 30 or more visits to that site in a month"

Guess what, WE'RE ALL ADDICTS! :B:B:B:B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I could make a wish for you that I know would come true.
I would wish for you pastures green and the skies always blue.
If I could wish a wish for you that I know would come true.
I would wish the days of springโ€™s fresh breeze to always comfort you.
I would wish the time of waiting as a dream in the nightโ€™s dim hue.
I would wish the days of golden years to be kind โ€˜til I come to be with you.

Written for a friend who lost someone dear to them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, well now I am crying again, this thread always makes me laugh or cry.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
From an old Marine, thank you for those wonderful words. I am almost speechless. God Bless you for what you and Old Fella have started. Tonight I will hug my furbabies a little closer.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three years ago when Sue and I first met a very old black stray dog with part of a rear paw missing along with most of his front teeth at a campground in South Carolina, little did I know then what a remarkable journey he would take us on and the hearts and lives he would touch and change forever.

Tonight I am amazed at everything that has transpired and the love that reaches out from every corner of the United States being brought to focus here in this small community I call home. In the next few months Old Fella will be remembered in many special ways, at Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the award ceremony for Rver of the Year next April. Then at Evergreen Ohio at the Old Fella Rally in June. The dedication of the Old Fella Memorial where a statue will be placed in his honor and where his ashes will find their final resting place and the public Library where his portrait will hang as a memorial to him there as well. From humble beginnings to a place of prominence and Old Black dog has left his foot prints in the soft places of our hearts. I will always be grateful to God for allowing me to be a part of this remarkable journey and grateful to all of the people of this forum that have made this one family in one accord. May the love experienced here spread into all the corners of this Nation as an expression of what real love is all about, unconditional in every respect and always be supportive of each other.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, Good luck in the meeting. Will keep fingers crossed for you that it is in a wonderful place. It is nice the City Park is only a couple blocks from your home. Still not far from Old Fella.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
And also a wonderful tribute to you and Sue for all that you do.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am meeting with the Mayor of Waynesboro and the Trustees of the City park tomorrow at 3:30 to pick a site for the Old Fella Memorial. It seems that all of the City government is supportive of this great moment in the legacy of Old Fella. What a wonderful tribute to a grand old dog.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I talked With Waynesboro's Mayor DeLoach this morning concerning the Old Fella Memorial in the City Park and in a poll of City Council members it will be approved Monday Night. Just as soon as the memorial can be placed in the park there will be a memorial service with local news media coverage. WRDW Channel 12 a CBS station out of Augsta is one that has already said they would be there to cover this event.

Old Fella has become a symbol of hope to so many people that some day animal rescue groups will be the power that brings salvation to so many deserving homeless animals across this country that perhaps they will be fewer in number so homes can be found for all the Old Fella's that are out there just waiting to be rescued.

Because of Old Fella, these found a home.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning I took Mama for a walk about town and she did great on the leash. She has done this before and has great manners. I have really found a soul mate in her as she wants to be where ever I am. She has lost some of her weight and that is good for her hips that are giving her trouble. Hobo is warming up to me this morning and wants my attention. Claire is doing great also, but I would like to find her a forever home before she gets too attached to us here. Suzie and she are two very active puppies giving Hobo a run for her life while she is in the back yard. At first it is fun for Hobo and she joins in with the rough house, then she gets tired of it and wants to sit it out for a while but Claire and Suzie won't have any of it and keep after her until she starts running from them and that is what Claire and Suzie wants her to do.

I have to go out and get Hobo and bring her inside with her tail between her legs so she can rest, poor thing comes in exhausted. I am still going every day to feed the cats and I hope very soon we will have an answer to getting them into a better situation. At last count there were 25 now, I don't know what has happened to the rest?

Wife Sue

minkhill
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic interview Richard!!
I did pretty well up to the point where she asked if the picture of you & Old Fella was 'current' one.
You can't look at those pictures without seeing the love in his eyes for you!
Old Fella would be sooo proud!!!
Barry & Karen
2004 F350 Powerstroke
2006 30TS Cardinal

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron & Shirley wrote:
Richard,

You did an incredible job in the interview.

We were quite surprised when we saw the last photo in the interview.

That was the day we took our Daughter, Joy, and drove across the Country to meet a Stranger at a roadside park in Georgia to get a dog. Basically everything you have been taught not to do.

Except this stranger was Richard Daniels and we had come to know him quite well through the RV.Net Forum. Our Daughter and her Family had been looking for a dog to adopt for quite some time. They had searched online and searched all of the local shelters. Nothing felt right. They realized this was a lifelong commitment and they were going at it with this conviction.

One evening Richard had posted a photo and described the disposition of a dog that had been rescued. All of these traits described perfectly the Dog our Daughter had been searching for. But a Bassett? Oh well.

It was late at night so I forwarded this post to our Daughter. By the next morning she had talked to Richard and also felt confident this was a match made in Heaven. I also didn't realize Joy had a secret love of Bassett's.

Now the big question is how to get this Dog from Georgia to Kansas City Missouri?? Surprisingly people on the Forum started offering assistance to make this happen. They were going to transport Sadie small distances along the way until she would finally arrive at her final destination. In the meantime we were wanting to get this new Member of the Family home as quickly as possible. There was lot's of love waiting for her at her new home. Joy said why don't we just take off and head to Georgia? We said ok let's do it. Joy made up an excuse to tell Katie and Andrew (our Grandchildren) why she would be gone for a couple of days. Joy and John had decided to keep all of this a secret from the kids. They knew how excited the kids would be.

We had one very, very long day of driving and arrived at the Georgia State Line late at night. We checked into a Hotel for the night. The plans were to meet Richard and Sue the next morning at a Roadside Park. As they say the rest is History.

Sadie's name was changed to Lola.

When this story is told people ask why would you travel to Georgia to get a "dog"?
I will tell you the reason. When Richard has taken a dog into his home you can bet this dog is going to be a wonderful well adjusted adoptable pet. Richard and Sue have a gift. Maybe it is just love and kindness but whatever it is the pets that come through their door are the best.

I am amazed that Claire has not been adopted. What a sweet beautiful girl she is. You can bet she has that sweet loving personality that comes from living in the Daniels household. I am so anxious to watch how the next chapter of Claire's life plays out. I know there is someone out there who is going to get a beauty when they adopt Claire.

BTW our other Daughter, Debbie, is also the proud Parent of a rescue. Last August 15th we became Grandparents of Maggie. She is just adorable. Maggie and Lola are best Friends. It is such a pleasure to watch them run and romp.

All of this has happened in our lives and our Children and Grandchildren's lives as a result of Richard and One Old Fella.

I read daily but don't post often.

I just wanted to say again Thank you Richard and Sue.

Shirley

Thank you Shirley for your kind words. I was hoping you might see the picture of you and your family on the video. You always are on my mind and in my heart as the parents of one of my fur babies.

Wife Sue

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

You did an incredible job in the interview.

We were quite surprised when we saw the last photo in the interview.

That was the day we took our Daughter, Joy, and drove across the Country to meet a Stranger at a roadside park in Georgia to get a dog. Basically everything you have been taught not to do.

Except this stranger was Richard Daniels and we had come to know him quite well through the RV.Net Forum. Our Daughter and her Family had been looking for a dog to adopt for quite some time. They had searched online and searched all of the local shelters. Nothing felt right. They realized this was a lifelong commitment and they were going at it with this conviction.

One evening Richard had posted a photo and described the disposition of a dog that had been rescued. All of these traits described perfectly the Dog our Daughter had been searching for. But a Bassett? Oh well.

It was late at night so I forwarded this post to our Daughter. By the next morning she had talked to Richard and also felt confident this was a match made in Heaven. I also didn't realize Joy had a secret love of Bassett's.

Now the big question is how to get this Dog from Georgia to Kansas City Missouri?? Surprisingly people on the Forum started offering assistance to make this happen. They were going to transport Sadie small distances along the way until she would finally arrive at her final destination. In the meantime we were wanting to get this new Member of the Family home as quickly as possible. There was lot's of love waiting for her at her new home. Joy said why don't we just take off and head to Georgia? We said ok let's do it. Joy made up an excuse to tell Katie and Andrew (our Grandchildren) why she would be gone for a couple of days. Joy and John had decided to keep all of this a secret from the kids. They knew how excited the kids would be.

We had one very, very long day of driving and arrived at the Georgia State Line late at night. We checked into a Hotel for the night. The plans were to meet Richard and Sue the next morning at a Roadside Park. As they say the rest is History.

Sadie's name was changed to Lola.

When this story is told people ask why would you travel to Georgia to get a "dog"?
I will tell you the reason. When Richard has taken a dog into his home you can bet this dog is going to be a wonderful well adjusted adoptable pet. Richard and Sue have a gift. Maybe it is just love and kindness but whatever it is the pets that come through their door are the best.

I am amazed that Claire has not been adopted. What a sweet beautiful girl she is. You can bet she has that sweet loving personality that comes from living in the Daniels household. I am so anxious to watch how the next chapter of Claire's life plays out. I know there is someone out there who is going to get a beauty when they adopt Claire.

BTW our other Daughter, Debbie, is also the proud Parent of a rescue. Last August 15th we became Grandparents of Maggie. She is just adorable. Maggie and Lola are best Friends. It is such a pleasure to watch them run and romp.

All of this has happened in our lives and our Children and Grandchildren's lives as a result of Richard and One Old Fella.

I read daily but don't post often.

I just wanted to say again Thank you Richard and Sue.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the interview and now I'm crying again! I got choked up when the interviewer asked Richard if the photo of Fella looking up into Richards eyes was current...glad Richard made it through without breaking down. Then of course, seeing the photo of Charlie hit home too. I still think about my Baxter-boy everyday. It's hard. However, Richard is doing a great job - rescuing over 100 dogs!!! Keep up the good work, Richard!
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad