cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Carolyn7878
Explorer
Explorer
I can sympatize with everyone cause I just lost my little dog on Oct. 5th sometime in the early morning she was 13 years old. I really miss her I have had her ever since she was barely old enough to walk so you all can imagine what I'm going through. With the old dog I would of taken him home and let him live a good life in luxury instead of leaving him in the wilderness to fend for himself. This way he would of been more comforable and safe so hope someone went back and got him and good luck to you.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay y'all, you are making me swell up with tears. A Georgia Rally next summer would be great. If you name it the Old Fella rally some might get the idea it is just for ole fella's. But whatever you call it we have plenty of room here in Georgia so y'all come on down! Me and Old Fella will be there with the wife and Levi.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
As a moderator for RV.NET, I have been following this thread. Tho it is not the forum assigned to me, RV Pet Health holds my interest. :B

It is so refreshing to have a thread such as this running for so long. What a wonderful story, too. :B Keep up the good work Dixie, we all are pulling for you and Ol' Fella.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Thought that you all would enjoy some quotes from the Ohio Rally forum. I posted a link there because there are some serious animal lovers in the group and more than a few of us have rescued animals.

RogerNCindy wrote:
Chemgoddess1 wrote:
I don't know if any of you have been reading about Old Fellow. This is one story that deserves to be read, especially those of us that have adopted an unwanted pet. WARNING: tissues may be necessary for those of you with a soft heart for animals.

A Very Old Stray

My wife has streaks running down her face right now. But it's my fault. I started reading the thread and called her over. Thanks for the link.

I propose a rally in Georgia next year. We want to meet that Old Fellow. Dixie too..! :B

D&ME wrote:
Thanks for the thread Pam about Old Fellow. So far I have gotten up Page 17 when he is doing fine, I have to quit for now, and try to get some rest I will for sure finish tomorrow.We would have another dog except we can't because of where we live at. D.

So Dixie...if a group of crazy Ohioans decide to invade Georgia for a Rally it is because we all want to meet Old Fella. We have some wonderful pictures of all of our dogs playing together. They look forward to each and every trip (we have met about once a month all summer) so that they can see their doggie friends again. It is amazing how all of them get along so well. I just know that they all would welcome OF into their "pack" and he would have a ball with them! Watch out, DixieDew, there are some pretty sexy ladies in the group!

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Mickey_T
Explorer
Explorer
A book's a great idea! So many different angles...abandoned pets...rescued pets...humanitary acts by vets, vet techs and groomers...bringing people together via the internet...saving animals via the internet...making friends via the internet...happy pets...loving owners...and they lived happily ever after.
Amen!

Mickey
2001 Jayco Eagle 314 BHS 31' TT
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to just say to everyone on this forum that I am honored to be a member along with people like you. You give me hope for the future of my children that this world will not be as cruel as I fear it will be for them. I know I have learned alot about what it means to be compassionate and to do something without any regard for yourself. Thanks to all of you. And hugs to Old Fella. (Well, I would kiss the top of his nose when no one was looking!)

Pamela
Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

AFritz01
Explorer
Explorer
While reading most of these posts, I kept thinking this would be great Readers Digest story also. They often have tear jerker's in there.
2004 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 liter/Allison
1996 31' Park Avenue Electra

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget that Susanne wants to talk with everyone who has partcipated in this forum. So please email her or call her. She wants to hear from everyone of you.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
I would offer that there has been a very remarkable vet involved here, too.

You bet there has!

Wife Sue

Yanktex
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the name "Old Fella" better. I have actually typed that name in several times and had to back it out and try again to get "Old Fellow" in the text.:D I also think the idea of a book about all of this is neat also.:C Maybe it would help others to remember to treat their fellow person and fellow creature more the way they would like to be treated!!! God bless you all.:)

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
needsomefun wrote:
Susanne Fogle

her email: susannefogle@aol.com

Ya'll don't like my move idea? Darn. I like "Old Feller" to be morphed in the Hollywood production to "Cold Feller"

Business is a little slow today.

I actually prefer the movie idea! I was just too lazy to say so. :B

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Susanne Fogle

her email: susannefogle@aol.com

Ya'll don't like my move idea? Darn. I like "Old Feller" to be morphed in the Hollywood production to "Cold Feller"

Business is a little slow today.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I would offer that there has been a very remarkable vet involved here, too.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I agree, I like I very much also.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
...We are changing the spelling of Old Fellow name to Old Fella as she thinks that would read better. What do you think?
Old Fella does flow off the tongue a little nicer, IMO.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L