cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Gosh life is great!

I have to admit that reading this everyday gives me inspiration to feel differently about lots of stuff and maybe to be a better person.
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit

Thanks for bringing up the question again, I think mine got overlooked.

Dixie Flyer wrote:
The rear foot just happened that way

There has to be more to the story than this :W

Come on Richard we are all waiting to know the rest of the story :B
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gentle Spirit wrote:
I also noticed the rear foot of the "Old Fella" statue looking like it "was not all there", and wondered if something was done to get that appearance, as I do remember the statue was not custom made.

Was wondering - are Old Fella's ashes buried there?

The rear foot just happened that way. Sue just could not part with the ashes as planned. She said they belong with us. So Levi and Fella are still with us. Maybe someday they will both be buried at the statue, or who knows, maybe they will be buried with one of us when the time comes.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I also noticed the rear foot of the "Old Fella" statue looking like it "was not all there", and wondered if something was done to get that appearance, as I do remember the statue was not custom made.

Was wondering - are Old Fella's ashes buried there?
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
You make me smile with admiration when I read your post.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hobo is like a child that has been hidden from public view with no contact with the outside world. Everything is new and strange to her it seems. The other day we were at the city park watching some kids play with a volleyball. When the ball came toward us Hobo cried in fear and tried to run away. When we walk she is always watching Mama and following her lead, where ever Mama goes, Hobo is sure to follow. I am trying to figure a way to take all four with us to Ohio to the Old Fella Rally. With the size of Hobo and Mama it is a problem getting all of the dogs in the truck. Peaches and Suzie can ride on the floor and Mama and Hobo can ride on the rear seat, but I don't know how well this will work on a trip of a full day and then another half day to finish up. They all get along well and I am sure there wouldn't be any conflict, but it sure would be crowded. Stopping at the rest areas would be a lot of quess work with Hobo along, as you don't know how she will react to all of the noise and trucks that will be there.

Sometimes I think Hobo was raised in a box and never allowed outside until she was about grown. Cy lived away from people and there was nothing but woods with a few houses around so I am sure she never got to see anyone except Cy. At first she didn't know how to play, but now Suzie has given her a few lessons in that catagory, including dunking the head into the water bucket that's outside.I must say Hobo has a great sense of getting along to be able to take all that Suzie has dished out to her.

What I see is a soul trying so hard to please and get along with others. When I see Peaches and Suzie ganging up on her she still manages to wag her tail as if she is enjoying being on the receiving end of all the pranks. When Mama thinks it's enough she will step in and bring Suzie and Peaches down a notch or two. Mama is still protective of Hobo and makes sure she isn't being hurt. At night when they all go to bed, Mama is the last one onto the kennel crate as she makes sure Hobo is in for the night and confortable. It is only then she will go to bed. I have never seen so much love between two dogs in my life. The devotion is that of a higher being watching over it's child.

I believe there is another story here that is yet to be told, a story of a mother's love for her daughter so strong that it keeps mother alive and well. Its amazing what I have learned from the animals that have come our way. How they endure hardship and pain because they know someone cares and gives them another chance at life. Isn't it great when we see the rewards of our labor with the wagging tails and happy faces. Gosh life is great!

Wife Sue

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
I have felt so sorry for her in times past as she was so afraid of everything and just sure she was going to be punished for something. Now I watch as she comes to Sue and I knowing she will be accepted and loved on. Once again I don't know what went on with her and Cy, but I can see that Mama was certainly loved and treated well, so why would it be any different with Hobo?

Richard some Dogs are just Born that way, our Maggie is like that and we have had her since 8 weeks. She is now 6-years-old and is finally able to go for a walk with out us dragging her because she was so skiddish of everything (and Maggie doesn't know what its like to have a spanking).:) Sounds like HoBo has really warm up to you and Sue.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. As i visit the park and look at the memorial statue I am so pleased with it's location and the way it looks. Once the walkway is complete it will look even better. All the fur babies continue to do well and I am surprised at how well Mama is doing. She doesn't let anything slow her down. Hobo continues to improve with her shyness and now she is acting more like a dog with confidence. She is walking on the leash just as if she has been doing it all of her life. There are time she will act afraid of something, but she quickly recovers and goes on.

I have felt so sorry for her in times past as she was so afraid of everything and just sure she was going to be punished for something. Now I watch as she comes to Sue and I knowing she will be accepted and loved on. Once again I don't know what went on with her and Cy, but I can see that Mama was certainly loved and treated well, so why would it be any different with Hobo?

Okay I have place to be and people to see so I had better get going. Talk with you later. Keep the bricks coming, this is great.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Everyone, We have made it home from the Rally. We got home yesterday around 2 PM. Had a wonderful time with Richard and Sue. Always a pleasure to see those folks. Sort of hated to come back to the cooler weather and the rain but all things must end. Glad the brick walk is coming along quite well. We will be sending our request soon. Sarah seems to be using her gimpy leg a bit to walk on even tho the hip is out. If she wants to get somewhere in a hurry, she picks it up and hauls on 3 for now. She is still a happy dog with the tail going most of the time. We will make a decision in the near future about what to do with the hip. All have a good and safe day today....
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
chemisd wrote:
Not sure what company you are using, but we had our sidewalks downtown done in the bricks probably about 10 years ago and they are holding up very well.

I wasn't referring to the bricks themselves, just the engraved facings. Those in the Florida Veterans' memorial have taken a good bit of damage from weather and walking on, but they did not break. Just a pebble can chip a letter of a name. I have no idea which company they used. I do notice that some of the brick websites suggest not putting the engraved bricks where they will have foot traffic.

OKay, we will keep that in mind when putting them down.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
chemisd wrote:
Not sure what company you are using, but we had our sidewalks downtown done in the bricks probably about 10 years ago and they are holding up very well.

I wasn't referring to the bricks themselves, just the engraved facings. Those in the Florida Veterans' memorial have taken a good bit of damage from weather and walking on, but they did not break. Just a pebble can chip a letter of a name. I have no idea which company they used. I do notice that some of the brick websites suggest not putting the engraved bricks where they will have foot traffic.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
chemisd wrote:
Not sure what company you are using, but we had our sidewalks downtown done in the bricks probably about 10 years ago and they are holding up very well. I think a couple have been replaced, but otherwise they are not cracked or broken. I still need to pm you Richard for details...

We are using a company located in Augusta that has been in business for over a hundred years.

Wife Sue

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what company you are using, but we had our sidewalks downtown done in the bricks probably about 10 years ago and they are holding up very well. I think a couple have been replaced, but otherwise they are not cracked or broken. I still need to pm you Richard for details...
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
About the walkway with the bricks. I've always liked that idea and have participated several times, but I just want to pass along an experience we've had. We bought a brick in memory of Bud's brother, for a veterans' memorial in their hometown in Florida. When we went to visit the memorial site several years later, we were disappointed that "our" brick was damaged and nearly unreadable. This is because they are walked on in that area. The engraved section is not nearly as durable as an intact brick. I noticed that the more letters that a single brick had, the more likely it was to be damaged, I assume because there are more cut edges to be fractured. That being the case, I would think about putting the bricks vertical, on the side of a wall, or possibly lining a concrete walk. That way they can be read and appreciated for a long, long time.
Judy

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
About the walkway with the bricks. I've always liked that idea and have participated several times, but I just want to pass along an experience we've had. We bought a brick in memory of Bud's brother, for a veterans' memorial in their hometown in Florida. When we went to visit the memorial site several years later, we were disappointed that "our" brick was damaged and nearly unreadable. This is because they are walked on in that area. The engraved section is not nearly as durable as an intact brick. I noticed that the more letters that a single brick had, the more likely it was to be damaged, I assume because there are more cut edges to be fractured. That being the case, I would think about putting the bricks vertical, on the side of a wall, or possibly lining a concrete walk. That way they can be read and appreciated for a long, long time.
Judy
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background