cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
It does take time, as I mentioned it took my two a couple of weeks to believe they lived in our new place... and I was here with them! She is an insecure temperament, that much is clear, and she's going to need to figure out that she has someone new to follow before she'll be able to let go. If they just let her sit and stew, she will not get that message and she will not be able to adjust.

Tell Mr to get some Comfort Zone, and take Claire for walks... long if possible, but if that isn't doable for them, then a few short ones in the day. They'll be careful to maintain leash control, of course, and she should be following, not leading. Also rides in the car, grooming, other activities that will start to build that bond. Feeling bad for her and getting emotional will only transmit to Claire as something being actually wrong. She needs a leader right now, not someone to get all emotional over her.

Try to imagine if the kindergarten teacher got all weepy with the kids as they were adjusting to their new school routine and time away from Mom. Which of course is why they don't. They say "you're fine, lets go color!"
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
Maybe Dan could be of some help giving advice to Claire's new family? How did Sarah behave in her new home and how long did it take her to adjust? Of course, that was a whole different climate and everything, which must've made it more complex. It sounds like Claire really strongly imprinted with your family and dogs are different that way. I always say "some dogs are dogs and some dogs are people." The dog-dogs adapt more easily, as soon as they see they are in a good place with regular food and affection. The people-dogs are much more emotionally sensitive, which is not to say Claire can't adapt, but it may take longer. Just my observation as life-long dog lover, not an animal behaviorist.

Claire really had strong a bond to our family. She was always at my feet or somewhere close to me when she was inside. If I went outside she would follow me everywhere I went. When she went for rides in the truck she wasn't happy unless she was sitting next to me on the front seat. If we went somewhere she was always watching to make sure I wasn't leaving her behind, which I believe was her biggest fear.

I hope she will take to her new family soon. I will give her a week and if she hasn't made the adjustment by then, I will sit down and talk with the new family. They too want what is best for Claire and that is the reason they are so concerned. Mr. was almost in tears today as he talked about Claire.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Dan could be of some help giving advice to Claire's new family? How did Sarah behave in her new home and how long did it take her to adjust? Of course, that was a whole different climate and everything, which must've made it more complex. It sounds like Claire really strongly imprinted with your family and dogs are different that way. I always say "some dogs are dogs and some dogs are people." The dog-dogs adapt more easily, as soon as they see they are in a good place with regular food and affection. The people-dogs are much more emotionally sensitive, which is not to say Claire can't adapt, but it may take longer. Just my observation as life-long dog lover, not an animal behaviorist.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Shirley. She needs some reassurance right now. What do you think Dr. Doug. I don't want to put human emotions to a dog.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion.... but why don't you meet Claire's new people somewhere (don't go to their home) and give them something that used to be Claire's .... a toy, old blanket or something familiar. I think that would help calm her until she finally accepts them as her new Family which she will in time.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just talked with Claire's new people and they are very concerned with Claire being depressed. She is not interacting with the other dogs and when she is outside she sits on the porch looking out into the yard as if she is expecting to see someone. I told them to give her a little more time to adjust and if things didnโ€™t get better I would take her back. She is eating her food, but she sits around and whines when she hears a noise outside. She will then go to the storm door and look outside and stare for a while before going back to her bed and laying down.
Saturday night she was restless and whined a lot. I asked if they thought she was in any kind of pain and they didnโ€™t think that was the problem. She can jump up on the bed with no problem and she is not limping or showing any signs that she is hurting anywhere. Oh well, weโ€™ll wait and see what goes. Maybe we have another Suzie. Suzie went to several homes before we gave up on her finding a place she would be happy in. Maybe Claire will be the same way, weโ€™ll wait and see.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hobo has been walking around the house this morning with a toy in her mouth looking for someone to play with. This is unusual for her as she is just learning how to share the toys and knowing what they are for. There is one thing I am sure of concerning Mama, she must have been the apple of the old man's eye while Hobo must have been a visitor in the home. Hobo acts as if she has had very little human contact, that is someone actually patting her and grooming her. When she thinks you are going to hold her or embrace her, she will shy away. She is getting better and more receptive of our contact with her and actually initiates contact at times now.

Hobo just walked over and nudged my arm letting me know she is looking for some attention. Mama is making her way over just to make sure she is going to get her due as well. Hobo is now looking at Susie with a toy in her mouth, ears raised, tail wagging with that look in her eyes of "come on, let's get it on." Things are quieter with Claire gone and in the bedroom there is less movement when the lights go out. I havenโ€™t checked on Claire since Saturday morning so I hope all is well. I will check this morning sometime just to make sure everyone is happy.

The cats have all come back together and it looks as if the two dogs are gone. There are so many loving cats that want to be held and loved on. Now that they are use to Sue and I they have let their guard down and just climb all over you when you sit in what must have been Cyโ€™s favorite chair outside. Sue and I saw evidence that some of the cats must still be trying to use the litter box in the house as they have mess all over their back ends. That must be a terrible mess inside, but we are not going inside and really canโ€™t since the door has been locked by the Sheriffโ€™s Department. The cats continue to use the cat door cut into the trailer door as a way to come and go. They must be sleeping in the trailer at night where it is safer, rather than taking a risk on being exposed to predators and other animals by being outside.

We still have no solution for the cats, so Sue and I go every day to feed and water them and if necessary transport them to the vet for treatment. It is hard to return them to the colony once you have removed them for vet care, it as if you have given up on finding them a forever home. But we will keep on trying as long as we have the ability to do so.

Wife Sue

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Hoops, it took me a while to figure out how to get it in my sig. but I finally did it.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, love the picture of Maggie May.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I also think its a little late to send anything. She will adjust, just will take a week or too. In the end all will be good.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking sending anything at this point will only "smell" like "home" and make it worse. I guess time and patience will be the only thing to do. I do hope she will settle in.....I always loved that face.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Because that's what you have me around for.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course if they don't have a kitty, she may need one of those, and we know where to get that from, don't we?

A kitty, yes a kitty!! Why haven't I thought of that??

Wife Sue

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
It is natural that Claire is a little confused at this sudden change in residence, and it is natural that it will take her a while to adjust. Nothing to be concerned about, freaked out about, or even sad about... we're all nervous when we're going to a new home, a new school, a new job, or a new pack... new is stressful, even when it is good. It took my two dogs a couple weeks to actually believe they live in our new house, and they were here with me!

Sending her dog bed over for a while might be helpful, but the best cure is time and patience and a lot of activities (walking is good) with the new pack.

Of course if they don't have a kitty, she may need one of those, and we know where to get that from, don't we? :B :B
susan

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Becky, We tried the booties on Sarah but Anna wouldn't leave them on Sarah either. :B:B:B:B Sarah is actually doing a fairly good job of adjusting to the northern weather.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member