cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Year and Registration Match

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
The answer to this will probably be like ROCMOC's Clown Nose rule: depends on the inspector; who knows; etc...

EDIT: MY Bad...I attributed the Red Clown Nose Contingency to ROCMOC but it is Turtle-Toad who brings this up in he sticky at the top of the forum.

Late spouse is still on motorhome title and registration (and the 10 year permit). I have remarried and was about to change the North Carolina title/registration but then realized that that would be different than the 10 Year paperwork and might cause hassle. Option A would be to not change the title/registration until we get back (and turn in the 10 year when we leave). Option B would be to change the title/reg and hope for the best.

I'm leaning towards Option A and not change title/Reg. The TOAD is in my and new wife's name, if that makes a difference. No lien on either vehicle. I plan to bring death and marriage certificates, just in case.

Thoughts?
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
19 REPLIES 19

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Xerox copy oberse and reverse of the TIP and receipt ASAP The thermal paper will fade to white. When available make EXTRA copies and keep them in a pouch. Banjercito does not enter the picture anywhere except to collect then disburse money. It's ADUANA SAT SHCP HACIENDA who enforces the TIP. No govrrnment agency is 100% logical no matter how honest they are. When an applicant is told NO at the window, it does not mean maybe. They dot every I and cross every T, so keep it in mind. Remember the Canadian Rainbirds and Ron and Vickies' ordeal. Stuff needs to be kept on the straight and narrow. I assume nothing. Because of a lost receipt I was turned back - all 2, 023 miles worth. Wasted.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Bounder Lew wrote:
Keep your documentation for the 10 year handy as I have been asked to produce it at KM 21 and at other Banerjitas. I had one on a C Class , got a new passport , sold the rig and registered another rig without turning in the old 10 yr.

Agree! I too have had to produce the paperwork that the TIP is first attached to. The inspector did not care that I had the permit on the glass, he wanted the supporting paperwork.

I too did not turn in my old TIP on a different rig but had no problem this year getting a new TIP for the new rig as I had a new passport with a new issue number. Boy that is a lot of NEW & too (LOL)!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your documentation for the 10 year handy as I have been asked to produce it at KM 21 and at other Banerjitas. I had one on a C Class , got a new passport , sold the rig and registered another rig without turning in the old 10 yr.
An ex Class A with towed. Now Bungalow in Melaque.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 year permit is a TIP good for ten years, just turned mine in on the first of this year, just hand the paperwork to the agent they will do the checking of the VIN numbers and maybe photograph the door decal check the windshield VIN, scrape the decal and send you on your merry way.

Do not volunteer information, that always gets people in hot water, the less said the better.

navegator

Talleyho69
You are overthinking this. Choose the easiest way for you, and you won't be questioned. If you are, explain the situation. You are fine. Enjoy your trip to Mexico. Come see us in Zihuatanejo!

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh: but I'm not! Just a humble, overweight, geezer, ex soldier pensioner.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. The 10 year TIP is in my name (and maybe my late wife's...don't have it here with me). I'm in it and it should be legal, I would think. Why would it even come up? I know, Clown Nose.
Hickory, NC

Talleyho69
Aren't we all ex-CIA and have Ph.d's???

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator. He does not have a regular TIP. It is a 10 year permisso. No 6 month rule applies. **** confusing. No matter what any of say about the rules it is up the peson issuing the permit to make a decision. If it an unusual circumstance they will just say no? That is the easy way! Belgique: You will not have a problem. Just tell them you are X CIA!

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the TIP in and they will scrape part of the decal off specially the number the rest you scrape off, wait at least a week in the US and then go back, you might be denied since it is only one 180 days in one year, you can always use the wife/husbands name one time and then the other spouse, alternating names that way it is two different persons, of course the RV will have a 10 year permit.

As for the passport well they might be glad that the gringo is going home.

navegator

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Well, dang. Tallyho's passport comment caused me to check: my passport expired in 2014! So now I have 2 problems! I can solve that and glad it came up now. Now back to the TIP.

Agree Briansue on turning it in...shoulda, woulda, coulda. This another reason to do so.
Hickory, NC

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We don't pay a deposit on the 10 year RV TIP - only on the 6 month automobile TIP which is always refunded within a week of our return. We also always turn in the 10 year whenever we leave - reason being chances of a broken windshield or whatever that makes things difficult later. The 10 year is mostly for those who leave the RV in Mexico. I think it costs less than $50 for a new one so we figure avoid potential hassles and cancel and renew each year - opinions vary. We try to avoid any potential hassle at all times.

Talleyho69
Nope. There isn't a deposit on a 10 year permit.

Another way to do this would be to get your TIP on line, it's delivered to your home, and you are set. Then, turn in your old one in Mexico, drive a few miles, and apply the new sticker.

This works if you have renewed your passport in the last 9 years, so the number is different, or if you put the new permit in the name of your new spouse.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderer: I didn't pay a deposit...my TIP is from '09. You think I'd still might have a problem?

PS: we're going to cross at Reynosa.
Hickory, NC

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Quick border turnarounds seem to be a thing of the past. Friends did this 6 December and Aduana turned them back. Money deposits take several days to return to the TIP holder and until that has been performed the VIN is blocked from reissuance of a TIP. No big deal it's kust a matter of several days but tclearing a TIP and getting a new one on-the-spot seems to have gone away.