cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 night trip: CA to UT & CO Natl. Parks

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning our summer roadtrip for June. Time is tight this year and I think I only have 12 nights. Might be able to squeeze in a few more nights if needed.

Main goal is visiting the NP's in Southern Utah and Colorado. Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches (already have done Grand Canyon), then into CO for Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, and Rocky Mt.

Main question, how long do you think I should spend in each park? I was thinking 2, but if there are some parks we can drive into for just a night, which ones are those? I have 3 kids ages 15, 13 & 10 who do not like to hike. We do small hikes, probably under 3 miles round--trip. So going on major hiking trails is not in the plan.

Thanks in advance for any tips. Below is my rough plan.

Rough draft plan for the trip.
17 REPLIES 17

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree - drop the CO portion and spend more time in the UT parks.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, you will need at least 1 day at Great Sand Dunes, so make reservations for the night and get there early and you will need sunscreen & BUG SPRAY! Mesa Verde is a long day to drive in and out (keep in mind that some parts are closed now and you can't see some of the best parts). You can take a small side-trip and go a little south to Aztec and see ruins that are very similar to Mesa Verde. Rocky Mountain is great in summer. Small hikes and great time for family (Sept/Oct is my favorite time for elk bugling). Also, North Rim of Grand Canyon is neat for one afternoon/evening. Go slow over Wolf Creek pass and enjoy some time in Pagosa Springs for tubing and soaking.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
12 nights, 2 there and 2 back (Frisco to Moab is 950 mi) leaves you with 8. Unless you plan a driving windows tour you need to pick a couple parks and keep the rest for a later visit. Probably Utah parks since RMNP is at least another day and a half drive each way.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper