cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

59 and 259 in east tx and se oklahoma

Am_Eagle_01
Explorer
Explorer
What is 259 out of Longview Tx to 59 to Fort Smith Ar like. Looks good in Texas and then map looks a little curvy in Oklahoma. Don't mind two lane but not to many hills and curves.
8 REPLIES 8

Am_Eagle_01
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the humor afterall everything on the net is not gospal. One must always make choices. We took 76 into Branson from the west once. Never again.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If you follow 259 north from Longview you will cross or meet I-30 north of Omaha, Texas.

With good humor, :)I hope you did not take my report as a warning. Remember, I said that 259 is the way I have gone and would go to Branson.

However, the last time we went to Branson we went up through Hot Springs after turning off I-30 and follow Arkansas up to Lake Dardanelle at Russelville. Now there are some really crooked roads. Compared to this route, 259 in Oklahoma is a freeway!

Anyway, just say all of this with good humor and respect for whatever choices other travelers make.

Am_Eagle_01
Explorer
Explorer
You guys know your roads so I think I well heed your warnings. In going to Branson we well hit 30 somewhere off of 259 or 271, head east and pickup 69 in Little Rock and head north. Again thanks for the help and happy travels.

wthibeaux
Explorer
Explorer
There are 22 curves on 259 between the Red River and Idabel, OK. By curves, i mean bends in the road where the curve is indicated by signs. The log trucks are driven by lunatics, they speed and pass in the worst places.
Warren & Peggy
Four cats "Albert, Noble, Peaches, Lil Bit" all neutered.

2010 Chev Suburban 5.3L 3.42-2005 Chev 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 3.73
95 Mobile Scout 25FS travel trailer
5 grandchildren

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
259 in Eastern Oklahoma from Broken Bow to Heavener, 59 in western Arkansas from US-70 north to Heavener, you will be crossing the Ouachita Mountains, against the grain of the land. There is no highway across these mountains built to Interstate standards, it will be hilly and curvy, and in some places slow going.

Of the two routes, 259 is the easier because the mountain core is more worn down to the west. US-59, particularly the scenic drive out of Mena, has some switchbacks (not tight, sized to the largest legal semi-trailer trucks) and some steeper grades (short sections maybe exceeding 12%). It is a lovely drive in a sports car, and a great motorcycle road, but it is one I avoid in the RV because I'm just going to be holding up the people driving it for fun.

If you want high-speed roads (75 mph limit), sweeping curves, no grades over 6%, work your way up to Paris on those good East Texas two-lanes, take US-271 up to the Indian Nation Turnpike (which skims the edge of the Ouachitas), get off at US-40 for Fort Smith. That is all at worst what gets called "rolling" countryside.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Am_Eagle_01
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, your information is quite helpful

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Well, at least we have a lot of experience on this route! We live right on US 259. Immediately upon entering Oklahoma (in the Red River Valley) the road becomes a bit more narrow and there are some 90 degree turns (not like mountain curves, just a change of direction.) At Idabell, OK it becomes more like an average US highway. By the way, I do not consider that area around Idabell to be a problem, it's just a bit different.

As you get up into the Ouchita Mountains along the Arkansas border, there is a section of curving and climbing, but I think it is a very pleasant drive. You will pass Beaver's Bend State Park at Broken Bow, OK and be very near to Queen Wilhemea State Park in Arkansas.

US 259 ends at rejoining US 59 near Heavner, OK.

This is our primary route north and back, so if I can help further, please let me know.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
It use to be hilly and curvy thru Oklahoma. Have not traveled it in several years.