cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

87 NE out of Mesa, Az

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Hello wondering if this route is doable middle of March? Looks like it goes through Tonto National forest. Roads clear or snowy and wonder if there is fuel? I would take it up to I-40 East. Thanks.

David
LTVA Hotsprings
4 REPLIES 4

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Well all good advice. Think I'll stay on 10 headed East. Thanks to all for the knowledge.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last Friday's snowstorm dropped more than 2' in Payson at 5,000' and I-17 was closed from Camp Verde north 40 miles to Flagstaff which got 4'+. While the OP's route may be doable in March he will need to watch the weather very carefully.

Traveling anywhere near Flagstaff and or the White Mountains can become a serious challenge. A couple of years ago we were near Sedona on May 8th and Flagstaff got 6". I-40 is often closed between Albuquerque and Flagstaff. Good luck.

:C

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you're sightseeing I'd take a different route. I'd take the 17 to Flag and then the 40 east. But if you like driving through snow in the White Mountains have a nice trip.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been on 87 going TO Mesa in March, last year and three or four years ago. Both trips into Mesa from Holbrook was great, we had no issues weather-wise. Maybe we got lucky, not sure. :B
There are plenty of choices in Payson to get fuel/gas. The first time through Payson we stopped at the Walmart for staples, we wanted to groceries BEFORE heading into Lost Dutchman.

Dan