cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Little Help from Canada Peeps

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be near Lonsdale MN the week before the US Labor Day holiday. I will have to be in St. Louis on the 15th of Sep. I am looking for interesting place to see /do for about 5- 7 days in Canada. Not looking of serious 5 days of driving -

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If Niagara is a little too far try Sault Ste. Marie with the Algoma Central train ride, then take the Soo Locks boat tour, South to Mich. for Mackinac Island and the W. to Tahquamenon Falls. A little farther W. is Munising with the Pictured Rocks nat. seashore.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for ideas. I will look at them. We will be on a 60 day trip from Tampa Fl to Yuma AZ and then to Hoover Dam, Zion, Bryce, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and then Minnesota to visit daughter and grandsons first birthday.

I agree almost in the middle of nowhere. But - she is out of my house!

Niagara Falls a little to far but great idea.

KO

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
S8nce they built the new highway around the top of Lake Superior forget about seeing the lake. I just did that trip last month. From Thunder Bay to Wawa you will only get a view of the Lake from going to the small towns that are on the lake. Hwy 17 is a nice 2 lane road with very few spots to pull off for anything. Truckers are going 120 KPH and you don't dare try to slow down. I slowed up for a black bear crossing in front of me and thought the truck behind was going to get in the motorhome with me. Sudbury has Science North and is interesting. Petawawa has CFB Petawawa and a military museum that is good. They also have a campground open to the public by the Ottawa River. From Sudbury you can go South to Toronto, Niagara and area. If you want to be near the Great Lakes go through MN, Wi, MI, where you get pulloffs to see something.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
KO wrote:
Not looking of serious 5 days of driving -

Any ideas?

The first question is what do you call a "serious" day of driving and what would you prefer to drive a day?

My first thought would be to go east to Sault Ste. Marie and cross the border there, then around Georgian Bay of Lake Huron and down to Toronto and Niagara Falls then back west to St. Louis.

That would be about a 1,500 mile detour.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How far do you wish to drive?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Well....
Technicaly you're not in the middle of nowhere but you can probably see it from there.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, Lonsdale is about 8 hours from Winnipeg; 6 hours from Thunder Bay; 16 hours from Toronto; and 16 hours from Niagara Falls.

Personally, I'd recommend Niagara Falls first (it's my favorite place in the world) and then Toronto. But if you don't want to drive that far, Thunder Bay and Lake Superior could offer some scenic settings
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)