cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question About Hwy 101 in Oregon

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I am following Hwy 101 from San Francisco up to Seattle. I pull a high fiver so I always check my Trucker's Atlas and make sure to stay on the yellow high-lighted roads because the big trucks can drive down those roads with no height or width problems.

I just checked, and for some reason, the section of Hwy 101 between Lincoln City, Oregon and Tillamook, Oregon is NOT highlighted. It is listed as a 'Restricted Route' in the Atlas, but I don't know what that means.

According to the Atlas, there are no clearances less then 14 ft.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
17 REPLIES 17

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cpaulsen wrote:
DRKMinWA wrote:
Only tunnel I know of on Oregon 101 is between Cannon Beach and Seaside. It won't be an issue for you.

Scenery is spectacular.

Another tunnel north of Florence(by the Sea Lion Caves).....11'9" on the outside....my 5ver is 12'6" and we clear it with no problems. It is 14'6" in the center.

No tunnel between Seaside and Canon beach! It is south of Canon Beach just north of Oswald West SP, semis go through all the time. Can't beat the drive. Make a point to visit South Beach SP if you can get in and go to the Rouge Brewery.
Another great stop is Nahaem bay SP, right next to Manzita, visit Manzita news and coffee for a great espresso.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 101 north from San Francisco and as far north as the Olympic Peninsula in Washington is a big traveling route for RVers. There are no issues for the biggest of RVs. The tunnel is just fine.

Many times when you use that trucker's atlas you'll find that semi trucks aren't allowed in certain areas or along certain roads because of city/county ordinances. That's why they may be marked as such and why you'll sometimes see a sign 'Truck Route' directing them off the main route. That doesn't apply to RVs.

We've driven our 40' motorhome on many secondary roads and never used the trucker's atlas.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
You have gotten mostly very good advice. Best is - watch your speed on the hilly, twisting sections.

I agree - no tunnel between Cannon Beach and Seaside; been to Cannon Beach 4 times RV's as late as last year and, God willing, will be back to C B and down to Bandon again in 2016.

We have driven that when we had a 38 foot 5er that had the axles flipped so we were 13'2" high!

We downsized and much, much happier!

See www.LaurenBarbara.com and go to Wanderings link on the left and then to two links of the OR Coast if you would like to see some pix. (Have enjoyed some nice sales from this group!)

Be safe and enjoy.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying the trip. So far it's been really beautiful.

Looking forward to continuing on !

Tim

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, you will be fine. I live on that section of highway (Cloverdale) and there are no restrictions. I have traveled from Cloverdale south to Eureaka in my 40' motorhome pulling my 24' trailer with no problem. Just take it easy on the curvy sections, mind the speed recommendations, use the Pull Outs to let faster traffic by and you will have no problems.

Paul
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Not a tunnel. It is a length restriction that does not apply to RVs. You wiibe fine. Enjoy your trip.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRKMinWA wrote:
Only tunnel I know of on Oregon 101 is between Cannon Beach and Seaside. It won't be an issue for you.

Scenery is spectacular.

There is NO tunnel on Highway 101 between Cannon Beach and Seaside that I recollect. There IS a tunnel just several miles north of Florence, Oregon on Highway 101, but it is not a problem. I have driven the entire 101 route up through Oregon to Astoria many times in my 13' tall motorhome and have never had any issues. A short bit of the route between Lincoln city and Tillamook does 'skinny' down a bit and become a bit windy, but still, no problem for RVs .... just drive slower.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
No problem for Lincoln City North - we have taken that route three times in the past 5 years - we lived in Lincoln City a few years ago

The map might be referring to a large hill north of Lincoln City called Cascade Head - on the hiking website it is listed as 1200 ft - I know it is a bit of a climb on 101 in our motor home but doable
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
DRKMinWA wrote:

Scenery is spectacular.

Another tunnel north of Florence(by the Sea Lion Caves).....11'9" on the outside....my 5ver is 12'6" and we clear it with no problems. It is 14'6" in the center.
cpaulsen

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I recall a 60' length restriction in that area. Check that out.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I took 101 from Ukiah CA to Lincoln City (Cape Kiwanda RV Park last August. We came across a curved 10.5' tall bridge N of Coos Bay. It was 10.5 ft on the curbside only so We straddled the double yellow as it had 1 N and 1 S lane and narrow. Slowed down and timed it for solo xing. We have a 39 ft Keystone Alpine 5er that is 13 ft tall at roof sat antenna. Some hairpins around Gold Beach OR. Great trip!!!

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
I recently did this trip from SoCal with a 1 ton dually, pulling a 42.5' fifth wheel. I can appreciate your concern, but you will be fine.

Camper tries to sneak up on the 11foot8 bridge

Not to scare you or anything. ๐Ÿ™‚

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the map doesn't give you current status...

Check with Oregon trip check... this is as of right now.
This is the South west info..
click then scroll down to hwy 101

find info for NW Oregon here

hwy 101 has a lot of construction going on all the time... don't be in a hurry.
Kathy

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer

Scenery is spectacular.
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab