cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska Reminiscences

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
We are fondly re-reading our journal from our '05 trip from Boston to/through Alaska - all 13,000 miles of it. We are only wishing we could make it back this year, but as "almost 80's" it presents a challenge.

To you lucky few who are in that beautiful land, we hope you are counting your blessings

Happy trails!

Toni and Jim
6 REPLIES 6

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We DW, DDs, DGD, DGS and I have all been there but only driven once. We've flown and rented a couple times, I've been out West to refuel and the eldest DD was out west for 2.5 years of fishing seasons. I'm almost mid seventies as is DW, we really want to go back with the grandkids and drive, one going and one returning. Hard to take the two at their ages.

It is like going home everytime we're there, sort of like Hawaii. An amazing trip through untamed wilderness.

Try a Fly-Drive. Rent from Great Alaskan Holidays you won't be sorry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Monello
Explorer
Explorer
I miss Alaska every summer. I drove from Maryland to AK in 2008. What an experience. I was able to leave my RV up there for the winter and flew back the following summer.

Not many places like Alaska. Anyone who has driven up there will appreciate that sentiment.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have the kids take you along. I brought my mother, she is 80, I do not think she would have drive from eastern Canada, she is very happy to have a driver.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I made a journal of our 5 week Alaskan trip and I added pieces of brochures from attractions that we visited. It's pretty big but I made it for our own future enjoyment. Our 23 year old grandson borrowed it and when he returned it, he told us it was so interesting, he could barely put it down.

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! And we are almost 79 and 80 (me), so you kids go forth!

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
That's the same year I went to Alaska. But I intend to go back -- since I'm 'only' 70. (not sure that's what you meant by 'almost 80s').

By the way, how in the world did you get to Texas without going through Arkansas, Oklahoma, or New Mexico??? (just kidding, I assume your map only shows states where you actually camped)
Cal