cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All year round camping in SW Ontario

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of any campgrounds that are open all year round in SW Ontario, in the Niagara Falls Area ....going there next saturday, would like to make it an overnite stay.
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite
26 REPLIES 26

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
It's always struck me as odd, but Sault Ste Marie is in the "Northern Ontario" region, and it's on the border.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Fizz wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I always thought of Southwest Ontario as Fort Frances area.

Nope. Definitely Western Ontario.
Northen Ontario would be Timmins, Cochrane, Hearst regions.

Not so much geographical directions.

This is all based on Toronto being the centre of the universe, or so they think ๐Ÿ˜›

Actually Fort Frances is in the North-West region of Ontario. ๐Ÿ™‚
From Wikipedia: Fort Frances is a town in, and the seat of, Rainy River District in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. The population as of the 2011 census was 7,952.
How can a town that sits on the southern border of Ontario be considered North, any farther south and you would be in International Falls.:R Looks like Pele Island is the Southern most point in Ontario.

I guess what surprised me the most about the area around Toronto was all the tobacco that was grown in the area.

Ontario is one VERY large province and it ranks 5th.

Because while it's technically a bottom border, it's still **** far north in the province, and is actually in the north west part of the province.

Tobacco is grown a good two hours from Toronto, not around the city.
E
Ranks 5th in what?
Provence size according to Rand McNally. To me 2 hours is close to Toronto, that's why I said in the area. I don't think of tobacco as a Northen crop. Not to argue the point but there were tobacco fields close to Simcoe and Walsingham.

I thought the statement (Ontario is one VERY large province and it ranks 5th) was self explanatory, my bad for not elaborating eh.

You still haven't elaborated. Ontario ranks fifth in...
penguin population?
volcanic activity?
number of palm trees?
tea drinking? (well, could be that, I live here!)

Fifth in what? It's the second largest Canadian province, it's the largest Canadian province by population, second largest producer of maple syrup (in both Canada and the world). So what is it fifth in and what is it being compared to?

And tobacco is not a northern crop. I'm well aware it grows around Simcoe. That is about two hours from Toronto.
Land area 354,342 Sq miles (rank 5th) according to Rand McNally. Quebec 527,079 Sq Miles (rank 2nd) according to Rand McNally.

Rand McNally does not rate penguin population, volcanic activity, palm trees or tea drinking. I'll take your word on those. I did not realize you didn't understand what Rand McNally does, they make maps and atlas's. They have been making Rand McNally road atlas since 1924. I would be glad to explain why I chose Toronto as a reference point. Most US forum members do not know small towns in Canada, so to explain where something is you use a reference point. Toronto is the closest reference point to the area. Hence why I said in the Toronto area, NOT in Toronto. Anything else I can help you with?

Fifth (and second for Quebec) in RELATION TO WHAT????? Seriously, you make no sense. And I'm well aware what Rand McNally does. I'm also aware what a reference point is. And two hours from somewhere is not really a good reference point.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sea Dog wrote:
The tobacco grown in Essex county is, was burly.
Pipe and cigar tobacco.
The tobacco grown around Simcoe is Virginia leaf, cigarette tobacco.

Most Americans do not realize that Southern Ontario
is far south of much of the US.
The Dakotas being a prime example!
You are correct, I did not realize until I visited family in the area. I was surprised when I found out tobacco was grown in the area. I had always thought of it as a Southern US crop.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Fizz wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

This is all based on Toronto being the centre of the universe, or so they think ๐Ÿ˜›

From Wikipedia: Fort Frances is a town in, and the seat of, Rainy River District in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. The population as of the 2011 census was 7,952.
How can a town that sits on the southern border of Ontario be considered North, any farther south and you would be in International Falls.:R Looks like Pele Island is the Southern most point in Ontario.

I guess what surprised me the most about the area around Toronto was all the tobacco that was grown in the area.

Because while it's technically a bottom border, it's still **** far north in the province, and is actually in the north west part of the province.

E
Ranks 5th in what?
Provence size according to Rand McNally. To me 2 hours is close to Toronto, that's why I said in the area. I don't think of tobacco as a Northen crop. Not to argue the point but there were tobacco fields close to Simcoe and Walsingham.

I thought the statement (Ontario is one VERY large province and it ranks 5th) was self explanatory, my bad for not elaborating eh.

penguin population?
volcanic activity?
number of palm trees?

Fifth in what? It's the second largest Canadian province, it's the largest Canadian province by population, second largest producer of maple syrup (in both Canada and the world). So what is it fifth in and what is it being compared to?

And tobacco is not a northern crop. I'm well aware it grows around Simcoe. That is about two hours from Toronto.
Land area 354,342 Sq miles (rank 5th) according to Rand McNally. Quebec 527,079 Sq Miles (rank 2nd) according to Rand McNally.

Rand McNally does not rate penguin population, volcanic activity, palm trees or tea drinking. I'll take your word on those. I did not realize you didn't understand what Rand McNally does, they make maps and atlas's. They have been making Rand McNally road atlas since 1924. I would be glad to explain why I chose Toronto as a reference point. Most US forum members do not know small towns in Canada, so to explain where something is you use a reference point. Toronto is the closest reference point to the area. Hence why I said in the Toronto area, NOT in Toronto. Anything else I can help you with?

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Fizz wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Ranks 5th in what?

penguin population?
volcanic activity?
number of palm trees?

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Average winter temperature zones
Southern Alberta, above latitude 49 degrees, has the ame climate as southern Ontario which is well below 49 degrees.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
The tobacco grown in Essex county is, was burly.
Pipe and cigar tobacco.
The tobacco grown around Simcoe is Virginia leaf, cigarette tobacco.

Most Americans do not realize that Southern Ontario
is far south of much of the US.
The Dakotas being a prime example!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in Detroit, MI and want to go to Ontario you go South. Essex County is the "Sun parlor" of Canada. I think half of it is under greenhouses. The last few years I have noticed the tobacco drying sheds are empty and other crops in the fields.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
skrams wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Fizz wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Ranks 5th in what?

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Pinery ..... it was awesome. Lots of campers because Mother Nature was being very kind to us here in SW Ontario. It was a perfect day/night/next day of camping ... the leaves were falling, the geese were flying in in droves, campfires all over, it was quiet, except for the geese flying in. You could not ask for anything better, 24 hrs of pure camping bliss. We just absolutely loved it .... if you get the chance, try the ole Pine in the fall, and if that sweet Mother Nature co-operates, November at the Pine. Even if you have winterized , go for it.... we didn't need water, toilet, the washrooms were available.

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Fizz wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Ranks 5th in what?

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
shum02 wrote:
I camp all year long.

Here's a short list of Provincial Park and Conservations parks that are open for RV camping all winter.

Valens Conservation - Hamilton
McGregor Provincial Park
Algonquin Provincial Park - personal fav(cold!)
Pinery Provincial Park

The campgrounds that are open are limited and usually most do not accept reservations except for Yurts. Other Northern parks have only limited tent and yurt camping such as Killarney, Frontenac.....

Valens Conservation Area camping is closed for the month of December, but it is open for the remaining eleven months.

Also has a winter program to park your trailer on a site from Jan - April
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickm wrote:
We are going to pick up the new trailer @ Sicard RV near Hamilton early Saturday, than shoot over to the Pinery for the night...... at least get to use it once before hibernation. Weather man so far is favorble for Saturday at the Pine!
Enjoy your new trailer.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to pick up the new trailer @ Sicard RV near Hamilton early Saturday, than shoot over to the Pinery for the night...... at least get to use it once before hibernation. Weather man so far is favorble for Saturday at the Pine!