cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone traveling through labrador?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We did this in 2013 and I am wondering how far they got in paving.

I found they are working on surveying from Red Bay to Cartwright so I don't think paving will happen this year. Or are they?

510 for maybe 80 km south of happy valley is paved. Any more paving going on there?

Quebec....well I am going to assume that nothing is going on there and they don't seem to care about paving any further to complete the job from Fremont to Manic 5. There may be long range plans but nothing further than that...it is a logging route and mine supply route mostly.

We are keen to do it again, slow it down and just enjoy the space.
Donna
2 REPLIES 2

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.
We were also in Newfoundland last year (forgot that because daughter bought house and we came home early to help work on foreclosure; she was using our money until mortgageable).
I see you have a truck camper. We did mostly free camping and really liked that...any place was game for an overnight and used our class c/24 feet as a roaming hotel. We did stay in just a couple of paid campgrounds... We used closed tourist info centers, scenic areas/many, picnic parks, roadside info centers...any place big enough for us to park when we were ready to stop for the night.
Enjoy...we thought it was a once in lifetime trip...we go approximately every two years...only once to Labrador...debating whether we will go again...not sure I want to beat the heck out of our rv on the gravel...again.
Donna

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving for Newfoundland and Labrador tomorrow. I checked in with the travel bureau in Labrador earlier this year and this is what they said about the roads:

"The road from St. Barbe to Red Bay is paved but has rough sections/potholes. The road from Red Bay to approximately 85 km outside of Goose Bay is gravel. And then you are on pavement until you reach Goose Bay. From Goose Bay to Labrador City it is fully paved. From Labrador City to Baie Comeau the road has sections of gravel and pavement, there is approximately 160 km of gravel left on this section. "

This will be our first trip up there and we are very much looking forward to it.