cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ dust

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
Another terrible, fatal accident on the 10, between Phoenix and Tucson involving a motorhome and many others; please be careful!

/www.theepochtimes.com/n3/334761-i-10-crashes-3-dead-12-injured-after-arizona-dust-storm-crash/
26 REPLIES 26

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
bearvy wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
Folks - I know a lot of full timers head towards Arizona this time of the year for our (mostly) wonderful weather. But once in a while a front comes through that whips up wind that is strong enough to cause one of these dust storms. If you see one ahead of you, the DPS suggests that you slow down, pull off the highway, come to a complete stop and turn off your lights (make sure you don't leave your foot on the brake pedal). If you wait until you're already in the dust to take action, it's too late.

I've experienced these dust storms, and visibility can actually be so bad that you literally can't see the hood of your vehicle.

Why is it recommended to "turn off your lights"?

No - All lights off. In those conditions, a driver may have to make a decision in a split second. If they see lights for even a fraction of a second, they may think that is the direction of the road. Check the link, they confirm it.

Thanks...just wondered.

Good question! They want you to turn off your lights because it may cause another driver to follow your vehicle thinking your are still on the road and still in motion. That's also the reason for taking your foot off the brake pedal so your brake lights aren't on.

As for the comment that they'd been predicting the storms for a couple of days.... That's true. But they can't pinpoint the specific area they'll hit or the exact time. In addition, we get these warnings many times a year, and most of the time nothing happens. So if you need to get on the road for any reason, you just need to be aware and know what to do if you encounter these conditions.

Here is a link to "Pull Aside - Stay Alive". Check out the video on the opening page to see how massive and fast these things move.
Pull Aside - Stay Alive

Would it not make more sense to pull off and turn on the four way flashers? That way you could still be seen and someone wouldn't think you were on the road.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
There are always bad drivers, but bad weather magnifies their incompetence. Sorry for the victims.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
That section of roadway is one the scariest I know, even in good weather. Lots of trucks, usually both lanes full, everyone moving at 5-10 over the limit. Add in rain, dust, wind, and darkness, but nothing slows the traffic.

I prefer the back way through Florence.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
bearvy wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
Folks - I know a lot of full timers head towards Arizona this time of the year for our (mostly) wonderful weather. But once in a while a front comes through that whips up wind that is strong enough to cause one of these dust storms. If you see one ahead of you, the DPS suggests that you slow down, pull off the highway, come to a complete stop and turn off your lights (make sure you don't leave your foot on the brake pedal). If you wait until you're already in the dust to take action, it's too late.

I've experienced these dust storms, and visibility can actually be so bad that you literally can't see the hood of your vehicle.

Thanks...just wondered.

Good question! They want you to turn off your lights because it may cause another driver to follow your vehicle thinking your are still on the road and still in motion. That's also the reason for taking your foot off the brake pedal so your brake lights aren't on.

As for the comment that they'd been predicting the storms for a couple of days.... That's true. But they can't pinpoint the specific area they'll hit or the exact time. In addition, we get these warnings many times a year, and most of the time nothing happens. So if you need to get on the road for any reason, you just need to be aware and know what to do if you encounter these conditions.

Here is a link to "Pull Aside - Stay Alive". Check out the video on the opening page to see how massive and fast these things move.
Pull Aside - Stay Alive

Would it not make more sense to pull off and turn on the four way flashers? That way you could still be seen and someone wouldn't think you were on the road.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
amandasgramma wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

Every year this same stretch of I-10 sees these sort of conditions and every year people needlessly die. Doesn't make any sense to me. :h
Some people were possibly trying to get to their job........people have reasons that we do not know why, to be on the highway. I don't put them down for it.......And according to the news reports we heard, this is unusual to have the dust storms this late in the year.

There are alternate roads available that are not affected. They might take a little longer but it makes no sense to try and drive through an area that you know is going to be marginal at best. It is just like the folks who try and drive through flooded washes. This event was was completely preventable and therein lies the tragedy. :E

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
bearvy wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:

Thanks...just wondered.

Pull Aside - Stay Alive

bearvy
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Thanks...just wondered.
K & B Maxwell
San Diego Natives
2004 Dolphin 5342
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

Every year this same stretch of I-10 sees these sort of conditions and every year people needlessly die. Doesn't make any sense to me. :h
Some people were possibly trying to get to their job........people have reasons that we do not know why, to be on the highway. I don't put them down for it.......And according to the news reports we heard, this is unusual to have the dust storms this late in the year.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
The weather service had been predicting these conditions for two days. Alerts came through on our smart phones as well as every radio and TV station. As Mr. Myagi explained to Danielsan...."Best way, no be dere".

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
The big accident that happened on Hwy 10 is horrible and so sad. We're in Quartzsite and about 1 mile west of Hwy 95. Yesterday, you could hardly see the hills on the east side of the highway......but this morning everything is clear. ๐Ÿ™‚ As many times as we've been here, we've never experienced a dust storm like this. Thanks TucsonJim for the advice on what to do.....:)
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer