Explorer
Nightly - $600 Mx pesos
Weekly - $3990 Mx pesos
Monthly - $16,200 Mx pesos
21 REPLIES 21

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
With the troubles, no one bothers to come down to the coast anymore. The hotel has been closed for 8-years. Met a lot of nice folks. The patio was sure pretty with thirty planters full of blooming roses and a huge shock of blending 5-colors of bougainvillea(Flores de Las Peรฑas). No crime in or around the pueblo, but of course hair raising stories from elsewhere in Michoacรกn, Guerrero, Jalisco, Sinaloa.

What was the hotel is now a ruins. Truly sad. I live about 1-1/2 miles from it and turn to go down to the enramadas before catching sight of it.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
All new construction and older meters are being replaced in Mexico with digital meters also. We're up there too in improving customer service, energy efficiency and solar energy use.

It appears that in rural areas where transformers and lines are abused you find the most problems with energy variance. I have a meter(?) plugged into one of the kitchen outlets. It never varies. I live in a rural area.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
So, are you still in the business? We think we were your first guests at you location in Michocacan. LONG time ago!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.com/maps/place/19%C2%B012'22.2%22N+104%C2%B040'44.7%22W/@19.2061588,-104.6796273,...

If the map coordinates rendered correctly with Google Maps, this location is is on a back street with a fair hike to get back and forth to the malecon and water taxis. No beach front access, no beach front views and little if any afternoon sea breeze. I find it difficult to concur with posted prices. I have yet to find a swimming pool that was as warm as the ocean at the end of the beach in Melaque. This isn't for me I'm afraid...

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I use a remote sensing 2-channel (dos hilos) digital 254 volt dual ammeter dual voltmeter and combined kWh meter to monitor my service drop. I can check 254 phase to phase and 127 volts individually to neutral. I also have a third voltmer that monitors neutral to earth ground. kWh are resetable but a totalizer cannot be reset. This is a wireless setup that is working about 90' from the service drop.

I thought you were no longer in the RV park business.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use a remote sensing 2-channel (dos hilos) digital 254 volt dual ammeter dual voltmeter and combined kWh meter to monitor my service drop. I can check 254 phase to phase and 127 volts individually to neutral. I also have a third voltmer that monitors neutral to earth ground. kWh are resetable but a totalizer cannot be reset. This is a wireless setup that is working about 90' from the service drop.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why one would buy meters in the U.S.

Because they were in the US and the meters were available - then they just brought them down with them - very cheap - Chris, if you think about it you know who I mean.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
With the move to digital meters in the US, the market in the US is flooded with used mechanical meters. As noted above - they are selling now at barely above the value of the scrap metal and glass in the meters.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Used electric meters are available for less than $30 in the US - I'd be really surprised if meters could be purchased in Mexico for anything close to that price.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Meters can be purchased from several Mexican companies and on line in Mexico. Not sure why one would buy meters in the U.S.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I have to defend RV camp prices, because by ACTUAL EXPERIENCE I have found, when an RV pulls in and connects, ALL the air conditioners are started, the hot water heater and 300 watt refrigerator get switched on.

I would agree this is what many do along the coast. But we rarely find an RV park that has true 30 amp and almost never 50 amp so we know there are limitations. Some parks do have 30 amp plugs and maybe even 30 amp breakers. But then they may not have heavy enough wire to carry to needed power to all the RVs or they do not have large enough main breakers to carry the load for more than a few RVs at a time. I have literally seen main panels go up in flames twice due to inadequate wiring. A big breaker with under-rated wire will do it every time. So we are careful.

Higher elevation parks do not have the high heat and humidity challenge. 2,000 ft altitude makes all the difference in the world.

We also spend most of our time in the central highlands where it is definitely cooler most of the time - we can get by with just a fan a lot of the time. We rarely run AC but we do have a fridge.

CFE told me it is prohibited to sub-meter a service drop with meter.

We have been in at least two parks with meters where they charge for the KW you use while there. I know at least one of them brought the meters down from the states - not sure about the other. I forget what the rate was but our records show we paid $200MX for a week. This was a few years ago.

Various different parks have different things to offer - amenities. If they have lots of stuff like concrete slabs and grass and flowers and swimming pool and TV lounge or stuff like that they can charge more and those who desire can go there and pay more. But if they offer a basic place to park and not much more then they need to charge accordingly for that.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Here is all the info I have on this park:

Barra de Navidad VIP - RV Park

N 19.20616
W 104.67908

8 serviced sites
Pool

Andres de Urdaneta
Bara de navida 48987
Barra de Navidad Jalisco Mexico 48987

Phone: 331-270-9016

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pemex is a cash cow that has twenty seven milking machines connected to its udder. It sounds incredible but CFE pays IVA on the fuel it purchases from Pemex then turns around and charges customers a second dose of 16% tax.

Installing meters on sites, even if permitted would enrage customers who demand that no matter what the cost "Mexico has to be cheap". The answer of course is boondocking camp sites. No power. Only water and sewer. This eliminates hassles, complaints, expenses, and unjustifiable overhead.

Here's an example of how things work down here: Items cannot be shipped from the free zone to Mexico without a factura (SHCP SAT Receipt). Shippers like Baja Pack and ESTAFETA flatly refuse to accept parcels without a Factura or official tax receipt from SAT explicitly describing the imported item and it's quantity. Got it?

So I purchase a carburetor kit for my son-in-law's Mitsubishi Mighty Max. Five dollars twelve cents. Aduana at Garita 2 Tijuana tells me the minimum fee for importation is one hundred pesos.

I take this two ounce carb kit that fits into a padded envelope to ESTAFETA, a package delivery service. Total weight? Three ounces gross. Charge? Three hundred pesos, standard fee. Transportation by ground via passenger bus. Arrival? Nine days after shipping. One thousand seven hundred miles.

Send it by Correos Mexicanos? You're joking, right? it used to be if it was insured, it would cost 4X the cost of regular post. I have had two packages lost. Each time it took nearly a YEAR to get reimbursed.

ยกBienvenidos A Mรฉxico!

๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

My peak load in winter time is 7000 watts. It is a good job they don't have meters at the sites, for I'd be paying a bundle.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.