cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baja Itinerary

rob88
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a nice itinerary for RV Travel down the Baja for next winter!

We crossed last year at Lukeville Border Crossing and spent time in Puerto Penasco. Really enjoyed it and Lukeville crossing was a breeze!

Probably looking at crossing around Yuma as don't like the idea of going via Tijuana.

Any tips and advice for travel would be greatly appreciated! Campgrounds, Border Crossings, Restaurants, Beaches, etc.

Robert from British Columbia! 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, Navegator! Thank you. For a Baja Traveler, the La Paz addy is all-important. Don't expect to get on the ferry without the proper paperwork, is what I've been told.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are Banjercito Modulos in La Paz, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, they prosses TIP,s for vehiCles going to mainland Mexico on the ferry boats.

La Paz
Interior Terminal Maritima
Pichilingue
La Paz B.C.S.
cp 23000

Mazatlan
Av. del Mar No 812
col Palos Prietos
cp 82010

Puerto Vallarta
Blvd. Francisco Medina Asencio 2701
col Educacion
cp 48338

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am buddies with the guy who runs Baja Amigos (He lives in Surrey), you might consider one of their caravans. Regardless check the schedules of all the caravan companies doing Baja so you can avoid them and hitting a full RV park. Vaganbudos del Mar, Adventure, Baja Amigos, Baja winters & Fantasy are all running caravans down there.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
It makes more sense to use Tecate, unless you're coming from the yuma area. If you do want to go from Yuma, crossing near there at San Luis de Colorado,you will likely want to avoid a very rough section quite a bit south of San Felipe, so you would need to turn west, from the direction of Gulfo de Santa Clara, to intercept Hwy 5, follow as far as El Chinero then take the northwest road, Hwy 3, to the Ensenada area. This is all counterproductive, unless you enjoy seeing quite a bit more of the country.

As a complete aside, the new(er) road that now joins Rocky Point and the Gulfo de Santa Clara area, through the Altar Desert, is a chance to drive right through a desert, big sand dunes on the north mixed with glimpses of Gulfo de California to the south.

But your best bet for a speedier trip south, as Navigator points out, is to use the Tecate crossing. If there is a chance you will want to head over to the Mainland, get your paperwork there at Tecate first, easier than searching out the extra paperwork required to drive on the Ferry to the Mainland, from what I understand. I know a couple that just had to head there, found nowhere to get the rquired importation papers in La Pas, so drove completely around the Sea of Cortes, a four to six day drive. Mexico is quite a large country!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The Tecate crossing is also a good way to go, from Yuma keep going on I-8 and after the grade there is a turn out at Jacumba, gas station exit keep going on 94 past Campo and Potrero until you reach the turn off fo Tecate, after crossing you will go South four blocks turn left go one block turn right this street leads to Carretera Federal No 3 that goes to Ensenada and Rosarito and points South, you avoid all the trafic of big rigs going and coming to Tijuana, it is the scenic route and there are wineries.

The return can be the same.

navegator

TobeyYad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We did the Baja in 2015. We got a nice book on Amazon "The Magnificent Peninsula" by Jack Williams.

You might also want "Baja Camping" by Fred and Gloria Jones or the Baja Camping book by Mike and Terry Church. Don't expect all the Campgrounds to still be open but be open to the adventure.

My wife wrote a blog on our trip that you might enjoy starting in Quartzite on January 18, 2015 and ending on March 25:

Travel with Tobey and Sue

Just search for January 18, 2015 and then you can follow our trip.

I have a Streets & Trips file of our route if you are interested.

Have fun, we sure did.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed southbound & northbound at Tecate this February & March. Great crossing! Highly recommended.

We were a part of the Baja Amigos caravan. Pull up their itinerary on their website for great places to stay, either as an individual or in a caravan.

Safe travels!!!

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
Robert, you might try Bajanomads.com board. Some of the members can be a little cranky, but there is usually some good information there. I have crossed at both Tijuana and Mexicali in the past couple of years, I found both a breeze. I like Mexicali for my trips to San Felipe. Several years ago I crossed at Tecate, a much smaller and easier crossing depending on where you are heading. Coming back through Mexicali was a little challenging, but I have maps from the Nomads that were very helpful. Some of the paperwork requirements have changed since I was there last year, again lots of good info from the Nomads. JH