cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bella Coola, BC

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a summer Canada trip from Bella Coola, BC to points East. Part of it is a steep hill with gravel - supposed to be quite scenic. Anyone here drive this road (Hwy 20) in the past?
12 REPLIES 12

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Road Runs West (Diana French) is a history of Hwy 20, Most of it's about life along the upper Chilcotin part, Anahim Lake to Williams Lake, since The Hill connection didn't open until 1953. From sales sticker it looks like I got my copy from the Kopas Store in Bella Coola.

The Mussio Backroads Mapbook for the region is also valuable.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There was a book written in the 40ies called "Ruffles on my Long johns" about that area, and I've always wanted to go. I don't think the road in or out is much better than it was then. LOL

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
We now have a Class C MH and we will take the ferry from Port Hardy. I donโ€™t remember any problem with the road to Port hardy. In the past we took the Port Hardy ferry to Prince Rupert and for that trip we were pulling an RV trailer. At Port Hardy we were able to dry camp overnight in line at the ferry site, so our trailer was one of the first to load. The person coordinating the loading contacted us in the morning and told us we could start. She also said โ€œyou know you will have to back down donโ€™t you?โ€ What? Back a 25 foot trailer down a narrow ramp? Please! When the loader saw the look on my face, she said โ€œwe can have someone back it down the ramp if you would like.โ€ That worked. We had a lovely trip.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd do any of those roads pictured in my 2WD dually without question. Done a few like that in CO. Dragging the 5er? Uh... no thanks, I'll pass on that. Just as well that the ferry is not running. We will be doing the TOW in AK again which is tame compared to The Hill.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't mean to say Port Hardy is difficult or dangerous. Maybe I should have said, interesting or scenic.

I've to Port Hardy twice - once on the way to Cape Scott (with overnight hike to San Josef Bay), and once on the way to Prince Rupert and QCI. And part of the way much earlier to Zeballos. Sure it's paved and all that, but anything beyond Campbell River is getting away from civilization.

So you are driving into Bella Coola as well as driving out? In any case I think the drive down requires more care than the drive up.

I drove it in an SUV so had no problems either way. Going down, they were doing some road work, and had just applied dust suppressant. That left out wheel wells coated with a mud that never dried. Fortunately the campground host (at Gnomes Home) let use his hose to wash most of it off.

The Bella Coola area is most fun in a vehicle that lets you drive the backroads, such as the one to Odegaard Falls.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those roads that you check out via the towed.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend you do more research before this trip, this road is not for the faint of heart. There is one (short) pitch at 18%. Most of the steep section is between 10 and 11% (which is steeper then most US roads)

It is not unknown for people to sell their vehicle and fly out of Bella Coola.

I dono why Paul is saying the road to Port Hardy is an adventure, unless he is talking about takeing the ferry to get there, the Island Highway is fairly easy
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paulj, I'm not sure if I like the way you talk about the road to Port Hardy. It is on our route in May though we are not taking the ferry to Bella Coola. That does not start running till June.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are passing opportunities. Going up The Hill might be easier than going down - unless you know how to manage braking on a long hill. I saw a pickup camper with smoking brakes at the bottom of The Hill.

Since you are talking about going up, but not down, does that mean you intend to take the BC ferry from Port Hardy? The drive to Port Hardy is a bit of an adventure in its own right.

Google Maps has Streetviews for the eastern half of Hwy 20. This area had a lot forest fires last summer. And one washout near the Fraser River crossing that was discussed on this board (Canada section).

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
About 27 miles or so. It's not as bad as it looks but it is rugged. There is a lot of information on the road on the net. It's fondly called "the hill" by the locals.

dedmiston
Yikes. How long is that part of the road? I would hate to run into oncoming traffic if I were towing up that hill.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yes it's a great deal of fun and its something you won't soon forget. Oh and it's the only road in and the only road out!