cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip West

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Heading west from LA to CA in June. Rather than moving from I20 to I40 via US287 from Fort Worth to Amarillo, I will take US84 west of Sweetwater up to Post then take US380 to San Antonio, NM. I will then take US60 over to Springerville then US180 up to I40 at Holbrook, NM. Can anyone help me on road quality for that route?
5 REPLIES 5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just came from Phoenix to Atlanta on I-20...OK, I-10 first and then 20. I was impressed with how good I-20 is over I-40 that I usually use. Some rough pavement (fairly smooth but rough surface texture) on I-10 just before New Mex but excellent concrete in west TX. Again some rough pavement before Shreveport and very little construction on the entire route.
I would say 40 is more scenic but you have more climbs where 10/20 is almost flat and after Dallas is not very scenic unless you like the desert and 100 mile views if no dust storms.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We just did that route in Jan; roads are fine. Parts of 380 through the Lincoln NF are a little narrow but take your time.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed in Sweetwater 3 weeks ago, when it was very cold and windy. Lake Sweetwater is a city campground with hookups on a good paved two-lane road about 5 miles south of I-20. Wide-open spaces and lots of separation, with your choice of grass or gravel/dirt and shade or sun at each 20/30/50A power post-water faucet. Price was just raised from $10 to $15/night on January 1, but it was well-worth it when the furnace and our electric heater both had to run most of the night just to keep the 5th wheel temperature in the high 50s. Probably be a great place to camp in spring or fall when you could boat and fish there.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
I think that 60 in NM is an excellent choice. West of Socorro, keep an eye on fuel, because there are not a lot of stops between there and Springerville. The road is good, two-lane and smooth and passes by the VLA and VLBA sites (NRAO), also Pie Town - where you absolutely have to get some pie.

In Springerville, if you are into Mexican food, definitely go to Los Dos Molinos, it's on the south side of the highway coming into town. New Mexican style with Hatch chiles, it's a bit hotter. If you prefer BBQ, there is a great BBQ place on the west side of town as you are leaving town - Avery's. Apart from those two, there are a couple of other dining spots, but not as good.

180 is a good road too, lightly traveled and a good choice. It passes the southern entrance to the Petrified Forest and you can take Petrified Forest road through the park (for a fee), and see some really cool stuff - it too takes you to I-40.

I-40 through Northern AZ is like death rally 2000. The road can be rough in spots, so you may have to switch from right to left lanes to get the smooth, but everybody drives like it's their last day on Earth, even the truckers. Keep in mind this road goes through Navajo lands, and the Native Americans have a different philosophy about driving - be alert for them to do just about anything without a care of what is around them. Also watch for crosswinds across this area. If you make it to Flagstaff alive, you should celebrate. 🙂