cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Dallas area to Custer S.D.

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
We re planning a trip up to Custer S.D. this summer. We will be towing our 26' travel trailer. I know will probably go to Salina,KS. the first day. What is the best routing beyond there? I assume it is another 2 days to Custer? Where is a good place to stop overnight, before the final run on in to Custer?
Thanks,
Jeff
9 REPLIES 9

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info. It really helps me firm up our plans.
Jeff

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
North Newton KS exit on I135/H81 has a great overnight stop RV park with full hookups, for $17/night. Just off the highway to the east.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thom wrote:
DO NOT take E-470 around Denver. It's a toll road and will cost you over $60 in tolls that you'll get a bill for later (license plate toll) if you take it all the way around the Denver area. Just stay on I-25 and go straight through.

Maybe we have just been lucky, but we have always been able to drive right on through Denver on I-25 with hardly a slowdown. On a previous trip to Custer's Gulch Campground we left Cheyenne Mountain State Park, drove through Colorado Springs, Denver, and Cheyenne without a slowdown. Now I know that will not always be the case, but I completely agree with Thom: it's better to go straight through.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
We were up there last year. We headed up there from Kansas City now we peeled of I70 in Topeka and took back roads up and across Nebraska. We ended up on HWY 2 in NE and heading to 385. Well in Alliance NE saw a sign for Car Henge took the short side trip to it (couple miles). What a spot. Just like the worlds largest ball of twine had this huge setup of cars in the model of Stonehenge it was really kinda of cool and certainly made you wonder WHY? however it was neat. We were only there for 20 minutes but totally would have missed it via interstate made a nice rest stop for us to get out for a few. Once we got on 385 and into Chadron NE we hit the Fur Trapping Museum which I thought was way cool I was in there for a couple hours. Another miss had we gone a conventional route. From there hop skip and a jump to Custer. At least the back roads we took were all very good road made decent time. Shortly after getting off the interstate the towns got farther and farther apart so we made decent time on good roads.

We stayed in the Hot Springs area for a few days and hit the local sites Wind Cave, Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc before heading over to the Badlands from there up to Minute Man Missle Museum site (if by chance you go there and want to take the tour get there very early as they only allow like 30 people on the tour and it is once a day tickets are usually gone within an hour of opening. I had hoped to take the tour but we didnt roll in until around 1pm so we totally missed that but the site was still cool and on the way out up the freeway they have another site with a silo. You cant go in it but they have the lid off and covered with a dome so you could see down in it missile etc. Just out in the middle of some field, apparently there were thousands of similar sites across that part of the country. Then on to Wall Drug for a late lunch and from there we were headed up to North Dakota for the Teddy Roosevelt Badlands both North and South unit. Then circled back around to Devils Tower, and Deadwood then headed home to Denver. Took back roads almost the entire way except for a few short stretches of interstate.

I find traveling through Kansas and Nebraska or other mid western states not as boring as many do especially if you get off the interstate. The work those farmers do, the small towns, the sometimes odd attractions you run across etc. I cant do that type of traveling every trip for sure but when I do I find it enjoyable.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would agree with padredw. The roads that way are pretty darn good. The scenery would be better. And only about 100 miles farther. But then, some people like the great plains. Maybe up one way and back the other.

We have driven as far as Raton the first day. Makes for a long, but cuts a day off your travel time if total time is a concern.

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't state how many days you have to travel and see the Black Hills. Obviously, that will impact the route that you choose. We have traveled to Custer and the Black Hills area from Waco to Hill City going thru Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska. We travel about 350 miles per day and it took four days but we did some sightseeing on the way and made several stops for a couple of days. Yes, the drive through Oklahoma and Kansas and part of Nebraska is boring, but we had never been in these areas and just wanted and had several places along the way that we wanted to visit such as the railyards and Buffalo Bills Home in North Platte.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
There is always a personal dimension to choices about route, but I would go (as I did a couple of years ago) through New Mexico and Colorado rather than through Oklahoma and Kansas.

As an example. First night to Amarillo, 365 miles (instead of 450 to Salina). (via US 287)

Second night, Raton Pass Campground, a delightful place for an overnight, 267 miles, an easy drive.

Third night, in the area of Cheyenne, WY, a drive of 311 miles.

Arrive at Custer, SD with 248 miles.

This would be a better route for me. There are many variations on overnight stops, but these would work.

Good recommendation, and if you do take this route, a caveat. DO NOT take E-470 around Denver. It's a toll road and will cost you over $60 in tolls that you'll get a bill for later (license plate toll) if you take it all the way around the Denver area. Just stay on I-25 and go straight through. If you stay in Raton NM and time it right, you should be going through Denver prior to the start of PM rush hours.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
There is always a personal dimension to choices about route, but I would go (as I did a couple of years ago) through New Mexico and Colorado rather than through Oklahoma and Kansas.

As an example. First night to Amarillo, 365 miles (instead of 450 to Salina). (via US 287)

Second night, Raton Pass Campground, a delightful place for an overnight, 267 miles, an easy drive.

This would be a better route for me. There are many variations on overnight stops, but these would work.

^^^^^ Good Advise ^^^^^

Sure makes sense - why drive through the boring fields when you could enjoy a drive through the Mountains - Make the Drive as Good as the Destination.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

padredw
Nomad
Nomad