cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boone NC to Morgantown WV

Saildogs
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on traveling north from Boone in August. Google maps directs us to route 19 in WV and then to I79. Looking for comments on route 19 or other routes folks feel are better.

We will be pulling a travel trailer almost 29 feet overall with an F250 diesel.

Thanks!

Diane
Marshall and Diane Lucas
TV Ford F-350
RV Grand Design Solitude 310 GK 5th Wheel
6 REPLIES 6

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
A note to all travelers in West Virginia. Speeding is tolerated and even encouraged apparently on most highways in the state. Keep in mind this particular speed trap on US19 is maintained by a local city police department. The Highway Patrol in our state is rarely seen and practically never an issue for motorist. I was told they actually do not have state funds to properly patrol the roads. Well.....duh.....get out and write some tickets. Revenue for your department is waiting for you to go after it.

There is a current construction site through the Huntington area where the Interstate is being widened from 4 to 6 lanes. Traffic is temporarily forced into a very narrow two lanes between temporary barriers and the guard rail. Traffic is limited to 50 mph and warned not to change lanes in this 2 mile section. It's unbelievable how many people run this section at 65+ and change lanes at random!!! Police could care less. If you obey the law motorist will tailgate you and then wave with their middle finger at the end of the construction.

So motorist do no be intimidated by this little speed trap near Summersville. West Virginia is exactly what the sign says at the point of entry...Wild Wonderful West Virginia

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
As others said...watch your speed!
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Same comments as above, BUT DO OBEY the speed limits, that nice 4 lane road was built with money from tourists???? I gave this advice to one of my friends, he forgot, guess what he got a ticket going to Charlotte and another coming home, lessons learned.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Saildogs
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. We will definitely make those stops.

Thanks so much!

Diane
Marshall and Diane Lucas
TV Ford F-350
RV Grand Design Solitude 310 GK 5th Wheel

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
US Route 19 is a good route but you must not miss stopping for a while at the New River Gorge overlook and visitors center!! They show a short movie clip and have a nice walkway over to an observation deck. The parking area is big rig friendly and a great place to stop off for a rest and have lunch!!

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
From I-77, pick up US Route 19 in Beckley. Fine road... 4 lane divided highway. Goes through several small town areas with a few traffic lights. So, watch your speeds, particularly in Fayetteville and Summersville. The latter has zero tolerance for speeders. Stop off at the arch bridge on the north side of Fayetteville. The park service has a nice facility and viewing area.
RVn Full-time