Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new RVers headed to Mexico, requesting advice

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings everyone,
We plan to leave San Antonio TX for a quick 9 day trip through Mexico next week. We used to drive from Laredo to San Miguel and stay in Bnb's, however, we just bought a ERA 70C that we look forward to traveling in. We have friends from Utah in Quintana Roo, and also friends in Huatulco. Both long drives that may not be possible. We love Mexico, and want advice from the forum about RVing. Where to visit, eat, sleep and play. Can you help us?
43 REPLIES 43

Talleyho69
Yes. We are across the street, and the RV park at El Manglar has space.

It's a ways down, but check the Canadian Rainbirds blog for all of the details.

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
A good first night could be in Matehuala, south of Saltillo. Take the Monterrey and Saltillo bypasses. Las Palmas Midway Inn

For our route this year and others see our blog

Nice Blog, haven't read it yet but plan on doing tonight probably. Thanks

We're coming to Zihua! Leaving SA Friday late afternoon, and following your route. Staying overnight at the Texas Tourist Information Center, and driving to Matehulala the next day is a great idea. Before we leave, I have to ask, is there a vacancy at the rv park in Zihatenejo?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
A good first night could be in Matehuala, south of Saltillo. Take the Monterrey and Saltillo bypasses. Las Palmas Midway Inn

For our route this year and others see our blog

Nice Blog, haven't read it yet but plan on doing tonight probably. Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Ted white certianly appears to be the most knowledgeable

The key word hear is "appears". What else do we know? My question is, was, and always will be - what happens in the long term if you put 500 ppm into a system designed for 15 ppm? I have heard it can be expensive. Is the person giving the advice going to pay for any repairs due to his advice?

Here's what research over the years has told me... Vehicle manufactures and the EPA were trying for years to reduce emissions. They could not design a system that would work until fuel refiners were able to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm. They could not come up with a system that would work at higher ppm. So if you continually put 500 ppm into this system are there long term damages to the system? NOTE that 500 ppm is over 30 times as much as the system is design for. We have heard that truckers using these newer trucks with these systems eventually have to replace parts even though they are using the proper ULSD fuel. So what happens if you put improper fuel in and how much does it cost? We have not had this question answered on this forum since 2007 when this discussion began. I am asking about long term problems that could shorten the lifespan of expensive components - not necessarily long term use of the wrong fuel but if it will contribute to maintenance and repair costs somewhere down the road.

If you call the engineers at the manufacturer you may get some idea of what damage could be done to the system and how much it would cost to repair it. They certainly are not going to tell you to go ahead and use the fuel. But they can probably answer the question about what damage could occur and the cost of repair.

I am not trying "cluck" at anyone - my original post said I could not provide advice because I did not know details about the specific vehicle - my intent was to try to get the original poster to provide more information. Then another poster on this form said to Google to find the info. But that may not tell me exactly what details might be needed about the original posters specific vehicle - year - make - model - fuel - etc. Google will not tell me this. Only the owner of the vehicle can tell us this.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Ted white certianly appears to be the most knowledgeable onthis subject and he has not led me wrong yet. I take dozens of rigs into mexico on cravans including those requiring ULSD. The only issue is the DPF filter, not the negine and from my observations those who keep the unit under load have no problems, those who do not do. The are edge tuners which will force a manual regen on both chev & Ford, but not for Dodge that I can find. Apparently about 405 of the diesel being sold right now in Mexico coems formt he uS and is ULSD, but there is no way to determine which. The Mexican web site for Gulf mexico, the biggest neew competitor was stating they will be selling ULSD, but I have yet to encounter one of thsoe stations. Pemex is claiming it will be selling ULSD at the end of 2017, but I will believe that when I see it. As far as mercedes is concerend, Pierre Blais who runs Amigos Rodantes takes 2 caravans a year throguh mexico and has a late model Sprinter diesel.He has had no issues.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Clucking and scolding isn't going to endear newcomers to this forum. We were all new to RVing in Mexico at one time and we've all asked questions that might have irritated the forum old timers. We've all also lamented how few folks RV in Mexico anymore. Maybe a little patience with posters might bring a few more posters or even a few more RVers to Mexico.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
No engineer in his right mind is going risk his job by telling you it is OK to use LSD fuel, even if there would be absolutely no harm done in doing so. Asking an engineer from an engine manufacturer would be a total waste of time......every one of them will quote the company line.

Exactly! So why do people come on this forum claiming to be experts? Why even suggest it is ok to take a vehicle and use fuel you are unsure of into it? Who in his right mind would do this?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I wish people would provide proper information. When I see a post with something like "an xyz nozzle" I don't read any further. Why waste band space on gibberish. Isn't the purpose of a forum to share information? That type of post is ridiculous.

Moisheh

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
I always suggest contacting the engineering department of the actual engine builder to ask their expert opinion - not a dealer or local mechanic but the true experts at the manufacturer.

The use of ULSD fuel is mandated by the EPA and there are heavy-duty fines and sanctions for violations of the rules. No engineer in his right mind is going risk his job by telling you it is OK to use LSD fuel, even if there would be absolutely no harm done in doing so. Asking an engineer from an engine manufacturer would be a total waste of time......every one of them will quote the company line.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Google their vehicle. That's what I did.

Why don't people specify exactly what vehicle they are talking about when the ask a question? They should post year, make, model, engine, fuel, etc. so we don't have to Google to answer their question. Be specific and helpers will be able to help. If they can't make the effort to post full info why should we have to take the time and make the effort to do the research? Even when Googling we have no way to know exactly how their vehicle is equipped and what engine they might have.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
From everything I've seen so far, MH's are temperamental at best. Why would anyone in their right mind intentionally put their power plant, or exhaust system, at risk while traveling in a foreign country?

This comes up all the time on this forum. There are those who say it OK to take a newer diesel into Mexico based on reports from those who have done it. But the question comes up in me - how many of these vehicles that travel in Mexico actually know to report if they have issues and where do they report it? So the reports that the statistics include in their conclusions could or should be based on all travelers and not just on those who have reported. We have never seen any posts on this forum that state exactly how many reports from drivers there have been to base the conclusions on. I do know that people have done it and that there have been some issues. My concern is what happens when you put 500 ppm fuel into a system that is designed to handle 15 ppm? There is an expert who reports all this stuff here and many forum users take his word for the reported results. In all the years I have never seen what qualifies this person to be the expert. And almost all the reports have to do with pickup trucks from the big 3 US auto makers. I have seen nothing about engines in large motorhomes such as Cummins - and nothing about foreign engines such as Mercedes. This may mean nothing. What we have heard is that some parts of these newer systems may have a certain lifespan and though there may not be immediate problems there could be a shortening of the life of the parts and replacing or repairing these parts could be expensive. I am no expert and make no claims about knowing anything about any of this. I always suggest contacting the engineering department of the actual engine builder to ask their expert opinion - not a dealer or local mechanic but the true experts at the manufacturer.

PNW_Wood
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:

The fuel comment above has to do with diesel - Mexican diesel isn't ULSD for the most part - though that is up for discussion as much of their fuel comes from the US. No guarantees. But that only matters to newer diesel vehicles. Many do travel in Mexico and many get away with it. We have on 06 and won't be getting a newer one until Mexico has ULSD. Maybe we will never get a newer one.

I'm actually really glad to finally see someone taking a common sense approach to this ULSD issue.

I'm not a MH owner yet. I know I'll be in Mexico a lot. I'm either going new/newer gasser or '06/older DP due to the lack of appropriate fuel.

I've done a little research and google'ing on the subject and it seems like there are a LOT of people that choose to do it... "it just uses more DEF" (something you have to haul with you because you cant get it down there), or "the so and so will get clogged".... but this is all in their justification for going for it.

From everything I've seen so far, MH's are temperamental at best. Why would anyone in their right mind intentionally put their power plant, or exhaust system, at risk while traveling in a foreign country?

It doesn't pass the "does this make sense" test for me.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
From our log book, Nov 2011, in a 2002 32' DP towing a 4 door Jeep:

From Catemaco to Villahermosa, 310 kilometers (193 miles) 5 hours 10 minutes, not including lunch stop of 20 minutes.

From Villahermosa to Isla Aguala Campeche, 235 kilometers (146 miles) 4 hours not including fuel and lunch stop.

Average speed over two days: 38 MPH. In your rig you will probably make better better time but I would doubt you would do over 45 MPH.

Talleyho69
Google their vehicle. That's what I did.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget insurance.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X