Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new RVers headed to Mexico, requesting advice

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings everyone,
We plan to leave San Antonio TX for a quick 9 day trip through Mexico next week. We used to drive from Laredo to San Miguel and stay in Bnb's, however, we just bought a ERA 70C that we look forward to traveling in. We have friends from Utah in Quintana Roo, and also friends in Huatulco. Both long drives that may not be possible. We love Mexico, and want advice from the forum about RVing. Where to visit, eat, sleep and play. Can you help us?
43 REPLIES 43

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Briansue- there were no RVers in SAN Miguel; 4 rigs but were told they had gone back north for Christmas

Thanks - we can't get to Mexico this year - Sue is going through the getting a new hip process - stuck in AZ........

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
We have done over 500 miles in a day twice (Orizaba to Escacega and Isla de Carmen to Córdoba) and we shall never do that again (we are 76). 200 to 300 is reasonable and takes 5 to 7 hours since speed limit is usually 80 mph and even the cuiotas can get rough.

Briansue- there were no RVers in SAN Miguel; 4 rigs but were told they had gone back north for Christmas
Reed and Elaine

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel does not seem to be an issue, once the attendant has time to get to you.

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Good to hear from you. We have enough diesel to get us to Puerto Vallarta, but not to get us to the border! Hope things improve on the next couple of months!

Perhaps see you next year

Looking forward to it! We still had a great trip. RVing is all the fun we hoped for.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear from you. We have enough diesel to get us to Puerto Vallarta, but not to get us to the border! Hope things improve on the next couple of months!

Perhaps see you next year

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Or they stayed at SMA and didn't bother to let anyone know.

We didn't have internet service most of the time, and I couldn't post to you, or open the forum to read your posts. Pemex rationed diesel fuel, and many stations didn't have any at all. So, you're right, we made our way to SMA, stayed outside the city limits, and took a cab into town. We boondocked in Mineral de Pozos for a couple days. We learned a lot in our first Mexico RV trip.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Or they stayed at SMA and didn't bother to let anyone know.

Talleyho69
I'm beginning to think that this was all a game, and not real.....

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
How are your travels going? Still heading this way? I put detailed directions on our blog for the route through Zihuatanejo.

Sam and Derba wrote:

We're coming to Zihua! Leaving SA Friday late afternoon, and following your route. Staying overnight at the Texas Tourist Information Center, and driving to Matehulala the next day is a great idea. Before we leave, I have to ask, is there a vacancy at the rv park in Zihatenejo?

Talleyho69
Ok, thanks. Thought it was in Zihuatanejo, and since I live here, couldn't figure it out.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Posts above talk about it....

A good first night could be in Matehuala, south of Saltillo. Take the Monterrey and Saltillo bypasses. Las Palmas Midway Inn

Talleyho69
Where is Las Palmas?

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that Las Palmas has quite a few bad electrical outlets in their RV area. If you plan to plug in you should be sure to check polarity. I only found a couple that are properly wired. Not good to plug into poorly wired outlets.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Sam and Derba wrote:
Kidoo wrote:
A good first night could be in Matehuala, south of Saltillo. Take the Monterrey and Saltillo bypasses. Las Palmas Midway Inn

For our route this year and others see our blog

Nice Blog, haven't read it yet but plan on doing tonight probably. Thanks

We're coming to Zihua! Leaving SA Friday late afternoon, and following your route. Staying overnight at the Texas Tourist Information Center, and driving to Matehulala the next day is a great idea. Before we leave, I have to ask, is there a vacancy at the rv park in Zihatenejo?

Be good to see you here! I just spoke with Edmundo and confirmed a space for you. The restaurant is closed on Wednesday so the gate is kept closed though the padlock should not be latched. I'll make a point of being here.

I'll also review the blog and see if I need to add anything. I may need to add details here and there.