cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Calgary Stampede

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully it won't be flooded out this year.
http://cs.calgarystampede.com/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
8 REPLIES 8

Community Alumni
Not applicable
This thread is going in circles and it's becoming irrelevant to RVing so I am closing it.

... Eric (Moderator)

96Brigadier
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
96Brigadier wrote:
magnusfide wrote:

Kind of misleading to say you hope the Stampede won't be flooded out this year as that implies to those less informed that it was flooded out last year... which it wasn't. Yes, there was a ton of flooding, yes it was a herculean effort largely by volunteers to get the grounds ready in time, but the Stampede went off pretty much without a hitch.

Your statement is misleading: the Stampede grounds were indeed flooded according to Calgary news. It did take a massive effort on the part of volunteers to ready the grounds and as I said, hopefully the Stampede won't be flooded out this year and the celebration will be a happy one as well. Those who travel from a distance found their campgrounds flooded last year and no place to park their RV. Hopefully that won't happen again this year either. A lot of us make that annual trip to Calgary and last year's flood was a hardship on the good folks there. We hope it doesn't happen again this year for their sakes.

Were you there? I was. Did you help with the flood efforts? I did. Do you live in Calgary? I do.

Read my post again. To quote what I already said, in a very non-misleading way:

Yes, there was a ton of flooding, yes it was a herculean effort largely by volunteers to get the grounds ready in time, but the Stampede went off pretty much without a hitch.

To add to what I previously said - The Stampede grounds were completely bone dry BEFORE the Stampede started, with the exception of the Saddledome (a stadium). Anyone parking their RV's at places within the city didn't have a problem, including right on the Stampede grounds which is where many of those participating in the rodeo stay.

Areas in the mountains is a different story, but the Stampede isn't in the mountains.
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come on Magnus - The Stampede was NOT flooded out! Yes the grounds were flooded earlier in the year but THEY did get the Show opened!! Please quit trying to justify your misleading post(s)>

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Brigadier wrote:
magnusfide wrote:

Kind of misleading to say you hope the Stampede won't be flooded out this year as that implies to those less informed that it was flooded out last year... which it wasn't. Yes, there was a ton of flooding, yes it was a herculean effort largely by volunteers to get the grounds ready in time, but the Stampede went off pretty much without a hitch.

Your statement is misleading: the Stampede grounds were indeed flooded according to Calgary news. It did take a massive effort on the part of volunteers to ready the grounds and as I said, hopefully the Stampede won't be flooded out this year and the celebration will be a happy one as well. Those who travel from a distance found their campgrounds flooded last year and no place to park their RV. Hopefully that won't happen again this year either. A lot of us make that annual trip to Calgary and last year's flood was a hardship on the good folks there. We hope it doesn't happen again this year for their sakes.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

96Brigadier
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:

Proud to be a Calgarian and have been a part of helping the city and outlying areas like High River recover.
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
A one in 200 year event so a repeat is unlikely any time soon. Calgary is marking the occasion with a city-wide neighborhood social on the anniversary date of the flood (June 21). They are encouraging everyone to celebrate the city's incredible solidarity in their time of need.
Howie

moonstone
Explorer
Explorer
I hope not too! Many people/businesses still haven't recovered. Our oldest son is a PM with a large restoration company & he was working out there from June until the week before Christmas! He spent 2 weeks on vacation in Florida in October to reconnect with wife & kids but was on the computer & phone back to work sites in Calgary & High River daily. We have seen many photos of the flooding in the Stampede grounds & buildings that weren't allowed into the press -very scary! There were scuba divers searching in the Saddle Dome offices, dressing rooms & concessions for possible victims at the peak of the flood.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
They do not need a repeat of that. :R