cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping at Muley Point, UT

mesoman7
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip to southern UT at the end of May, and one location considered is Muley Point. Has anyone camped there in a RV or trailer? If so, what spots would you recommend?

Also, has anyone taken a trailer down the Moki Dugway? Mine is 19ft. I know it is not recommended, but may consider it if others have found it manageable.

Thanks.

- Jeff
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 19ft
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD V-8
8 REPLIES 8

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If coming from the north, the ferry across Lake Powell at Bullfrog Landing is an interesting alternative to the the bridge on UT96.

mesoman7
Explorer
Explorer
OK...I think I get the message about towing down the Dugway. Fortunately, I will be coming to Muley Point from the north, thus no Moki Dugway. I do plan to drive the truck down to Valley of the Gods.

I thank all for the quick responses.

Dan, I love your blog. That is what sparked our desire to boondock. Keep up the good work, and maybe we'll see you guys out there somewhere.

- Jeff
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 19ft
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD V-8

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We were at the point last Sept and I think I saw the same puddles. No, I wouldn't trailer down the Dugway, but it would not be impossible. Be sure to drive the Valley of the Gods while there. Enter near the bottom of the Dugway.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven the Dugway, and I would not take my trailer on it. Which is too bad, because there are some amazing boondocking sites up top, right on the edge of the cliff, with great views of Monument Valley and the higher peaks in Arizona. Truck campers go up there all the time, even in the snow!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

The switch backs

View down from M Point

View across the top of the rocks near the rim. This was a day after a major storm crossed the area (in September). Looking toward Monument Valley.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good description of Muley Point. It's actually a flat viewpoint with dispersed camping. There are no designated sites. It is at the top of UT 261 (Moki Dugway)at Hwy 95.

Muley Point

I would highly recommend you drive Moki in your tow vehicle to see for yourself if you want to drive it with the trailer.

While there be sure to check out Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument for some excellent unique hiking trails using ladders. You'll also be close to Goosenecks State Park (another open, flat viewpoint area) and Valley of the Gods for a nice drive. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
See this thread from a month ago on Muley Point and the Dugway. We're hoping to get there for a predicted meteor shower in the wee hours of May 24th. It's supposed to be a great dark sky site. Please note the comment in the third post about the German couple who camped there.

The thread has an aerial picture of the Dugway. I'm not driving our Class C up or down that.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove out there and had lunch, but didn't camp. This was almost 9 yrs ago. I didn't notice camping spots, just a hard packed dirt road, with wide spots near the rim where people parked. It's open scrub land and flat rocks.

Google Maps sat view looks about the same as before.

Goosenecks below is state park and probably has more organized camping.