cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Rockies itinerary assistance

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting to plan our trip to the Canadian Rockies for next summer. But in sketching out a rough itinerary, we are not certain where to base. Areas that interest us are Peter Lougheed Prov. Park, Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise, and Jasper. We can spend up to a month there.
We have a fifth wheel, and will be traveling with two other couples who have 37 foot and 39 foot motorhomes. None of us have been there before.
Originally I thought we could spend a week or two at Banff and the same near Jasper. But looking at the maps, I think that would take very long day trips every day to see the surrounding areas. (The other couples have dogs so being away all day will not work.)
We are interested in half day hikes, scenic drives, birding and wildlife watching. Also, Native American culture, geology, fossils and natural history.
So now I am wondering if it would be better to start at Peter L. for a few days, then move up to Banff for a few days, Lake Louise for a few days etc. Just not sure how much time to devote in each - its a big area! From what I've read, summers are very busy and we will need reservations. I don't want to lock us into a campground only to discover we are either bored and ready to move on, or wishing to stay much longer.
Direction of travel is north from MT, then west to Vancouver but reverse order is possible as the entire trip will be a big loop.
24 REPLIES 24

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Also think about a day trip into and through Kootenay National Park. The turn off is about 20 minutes from Banff on the way to Lake Louise ( ยฝ way between Banff and Lake Louise) It is about a 90 - 100 minute drive from Banff โ€œstraight thoughโ€ to Radium Hot Springs on the B.C. Side of the Rocky Mountains. Itโ€™s a beautiful drive and a lot of things to see as well as day hikes.
When Lake Louise drive down towards Field BC and see the Spiral Tunnel
Also a short drive out of Jasper is Mount Robson Provincial Park ( B.C. Park)
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Campgrounds to RVing in Canada for more input.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice already. Be prepared for lots of traffic, construction, and cool weather in the evenings. But it's well worth it !
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139, your photos are stunning. I look forward to reading through the blogs.
I was not familiar with Drumheller, that museum sounds amazing.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a LINK to the blog by the DW of the 19 day caravan that we took part in two summers ago. Started in Waterton and ended in Jasper. You should be able to figure out the CGs and how long we stayed in the various locations plus the sites we saw.

You need to read from the bottom up and then go to the bottom and click on "newer posts" and again go to the bottom and then up to keep things in order. This was a very well planned and executed caravan which was timed so we could do the Calgary Stampede as we worked our way north. All of the rigs were 40' or longer.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
A few suggestions based on what you are interested in:

1) Consider adding a stop at Waterton National Park (across the border from Glacier National Park). A side trip to Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump may be something you'd be interested in. Also consider going to see the Frank Slide.

2) From Waterton, you might wand to go to Drumheller to see the Tyrell Museum and the areas around it.

3) Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and Kananaskis Country is a good destination. It is far less crowded than either Banff or Jasper. There are a bunch of good hikes in the area. The best campground to stay in is Mount Kidd. There are other provincial campgrounds further south in the park, but they do not have cell service and most of the sites will be too small for what you are travelling with.

4) The Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff is an ok place too. Be careful on which part of the campground you book in because fires are only allowed in a small portion of the CG. The other campgrounds around Banff will not fit your rigs. Canmore is only about 15 minutes away from Banff. Lots to do around this area.

5) The Lake Louise Campground is about 50 yards from the main railway tracks. It is NOISY. But it is also one of the only serviced campgrounds in the area, and it is very close to Lake Louise town. This area is very beautiful and there is lots to see here.

6) Icefields Parkway (highway from Lake Louise to Jasper) - it can be tricky to get camping in this area, but it is very beautiful too. Definitely go to the Columbia Icefields.

7) Jasper - smaller, more rustic and less touristy than Banff. Whistler's is a good campground there.

Make sure that you have all your campgrounds booked as soon as you can. Parks Canada has opened up the booking earlier for the upcoming year so you can book in mid-January. Mount Kidd and any provincial parks typically open 90 days before arrival.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The walk along Lake Louise is a nice day long adventure.
Stopping at Athabasca Falls area is very scenic. Nice campground on the Falls loop into Jasper.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I think 3-4 days would be plenty around Banff, then move on up towards Jasper. You could use the many campgrounds between Banff and Jasper for a couple of days at each to enjoy scenery and hiking. Lake Louise, Icefields, etc. are all great areas to explore.

Then I would cross over the mtn. to B.C. It is great in any direction.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that spending several days in each area is better than long day trips. If you'd like to check out our itinerary (plus lots of pictures), here is a link to the first installment of our Canadian Rockies trip:

Six Weeks in the Rockies -- Peter Lougheed
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You will need to move a couple times to keep day trip lengths down.
You will need to make reservations as well. Big rigs can be problem finding sites.
Many, many things to do.
Order tourism magazines. Beautiful British Columbia normally has good information.
Make sure you hit Waterton park. It is the Canadian portion of Glacier.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker