cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route 191 in wyoming

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip from Moab Utah to Mount Rushmore this coming mid-April and thought to avoid Colorado and the high elevations of over 10,000 feet and the chance of snow.
How high are the elevations in Wyoming on 191 or is there a better way to go?
3 REPLIES 3

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pass between US6 and Duchesne gets up to 9000ft.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
blacktop wrote:
I'm planning a trip from Moab Utah to Mount Rushmore this coming mid-April and thought to avoid Colorado and the high elevations of over 10,000 feet and the chance of snow.
How high are the elevations in Wyoming on 191 or is there a better way to go?

Once you are up by Grand Junction you are out of the high passes. We traveled up CO 13 east of Grand Junction this summer on a motorcycle trip and it is a fairly flat road in good condition. Take that up to I-80, head east a couple exits and take 287 north to 220 towards Casper, Wy. You will see plenty of pronghorn and prairie dogs along the way.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
191 is a very scenic drive and a good road. There is one bad section that you will have to slow way down as it's very rough road. Still pretty, but rough. That's between Royal and Duchesne. If I didn't say it before, slow down on this section. The rest of the road from Moab to Rock Springs is wonderful.

You can stop at Vernal UT and see Dionsaur Nat. Mon and going further north stay a day at Flaming Gorge.

Mid April in the higher elevations you will have some snow on the ground, but the roads should be clear.
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad