cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coming thru Alberta?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If your plans have you in Southern Alberta in the next few days, best you do some routing checking with news, weather and Ab gov websites. There has been serious flooding in the area and many towns and highways are under water.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
6 REPLIES 6

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on photos and some videos, it looks like Cougar Creek, coming off the mountains to the north, brought down a lot of debris and filled up its culvert under hwy 1. It flowed over the highway, and cut a new channel down the median strip, all the way to the Hwy 1a underpass (600m).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IbrPIsLyg

Canmore emergency information
There some access in both directions to residents (proof required). Still no through traffic.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a lot of roads bridges and homes are gone here. It is going to be a while before everything is normal again. Water is now going down so more should be known in a few days. There are several ways to get in and out of this neck of the woods so not to worry. With some of the major roads and bridges being washed out I am sure temp ones will be built quickly as a few of them are main transportation routes.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We spent Thursday and Friday nights in W Calgary, would still be there except some other campers told us that we could take Stony Trail around Calgary and pick up 2 to Edmonton, which we did. What a terrible loss for so many there, several displaced homeowners were in our campground, which was up on a hill. Had planned to take the scenic route from Banff to Jasper, hopefully we can catch it on the way home.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Banff can be reached from the west (Golden, BC and Radium BC).

Travel between Banff and Canmore is limited to one lane of the divided highway, so they are allowing shuttle buses and little else. There is a further blockage in Canmore where Cougar Creek washed over the highway.

Hwy 16 through Jasper is open, as is Hwy 3, Crowsnest. 93 to Radium is open.

https://twitter.com/BanffNP
announced that Icefields (93) is now open.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Antigua1767 wrote:
Booked for Tunnel Mountain in Banff the 5th of July...I presume we can make it there...looks like Canmore is getting hit hard as well.
I hope all stay safe out west...we are hearing nasty news here in the east.
AM

They expect East West travel through Canmore to be closed for a few days. Sounds like the HWY 1 and HWY 1A bridges have been compromised (in East Canmore).

Also, a bridge on HWY 22 between Turner Valley and Black Diamond is gone!

I guess these crucial bridges will be replaced with temporary structures while the new bridges will be built.

Antigua1767
Explorer
Explorer
Booked for Tunnel Mountain in Banff the 5th of July...I presume we can make it there...looks like Canmore is getting hit hard as well.
I hope all stay safe out west...we are hearing nasty news here in the east.
AM
2012 Jayco Eagle 31.5FBHS
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually 3500