cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer maps

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
On another recent forum topic "Vagabundos del mar travel buddies calendar" we got into a discussion about maps after I posted some screen shot photos of some maps. I think that was going more than a little off topic so I think maybe we should start a new topic about maps for use in computers.

I don't want to dictate here but what I am trying to get at is ways to use OFFLINE maps in COMPUTERS. NOT ONLINE. I also recognize devices such as GARMIN as well as handheld devices such as cell phones. I use a GARMIN and I use an ANDROID. But I want to start this topic as being just for OFFLINE maps that can be used in a COMPUTER - sort of a limited and specific topic if we can stay on topic.

I am no expert. I make no claims. I have been using Microsoft Streets & Trips (S&T) for many years very successfully. But as many of you know MS stopped revising S&T after the 2013 issue so it is becoming outdated as far as new roads being added.

S&T was/is a great program because it has a lot of features we can use to create routes and save them as well as being able to add Points of Interest (POI) to the map. We can create a route and save it for future use.

A website www.laptopgpsworld.com was a great place to learn about various different map programs made specifically for those of us who want to use our computers to research roads and routes we might use for our travels. So far there does not seem to be a lot to be learned these days about some of the new FREE OFFLINE maps that are available out there.

I do realize a lot of people like GOOGLE MAPS and I do to. But I find no way to really use it to full advantage OFFLINE.

I noted in the other thread that I have tried using the new Microsoft Maps which comes builtin to the new WINDOWS 10 and can also be downloaded for MS. They use to use HERE maps but changed that at some point. I have tried HERE maps but never got the hang of it. I also noted Navigator by MapFactor which is also a FREE download. I think many of these newer maps get their base maps from OPEN STREET MAPS.

In the case of the MS MAPS as well as NAVIGATOR it is possible to download FREE maps of almost anywhere in the world. We can download the entire USA or just the maps of the states we might be traveling in - depending on when we need the maps - we can have smaller downloads or one big download of the entire US. We can do the same with Canada - province by province or all of Canada. We can also download all of Mexico.

The problem I am having so far with these maps is how to create a route with numerous stops along the way. I use this function to force the route I want to take instead of just a start and end point that uses the program to create the route. I want detailed step by step and stop by stop control of the route I want to take.

So I am hoping there are a few people out there who know how to use OFFLINE COMPUTER maps and can help by posting here about how to use them.

I would like to learn how to put in WAYPOINTS or stops to be able to control a route. I would also like to be able to save any route a plan so I can reference it and bring it up later. It was mentioned in the other thread that there are ways to save a route using GOOGLE MAPS and to make that route available to others so I am wondering if there are other OFFLINE maps out there where we can plan a route with our stops and then somehow share that information with others. We could do that with S&T but I have not yet found a way to do it with newer maps.

I am going to try to keep working on this and learning and posting what I learn. Hopefully there are readers of this forum out there who know a lot more about this than I do and can post some how-to tutorials to help the rest of us to have better ways to find our way around the world.

Once again - there are many times and many places we go where we do not have internet access so it is very important to us to be able to map without the need for the internet - that is of course once we have downloaded maps and have them saved in our computer for later use. I am hoping this topic will be of use to all.
64 REPLIES 64

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the program working. I saved my 15 waypoints in 3 GPX files, and when the program opens, it shows the first leg of my proposed summer trip. However, to open it again, I need to re-boot my laptop.

I ordered a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 puck which is known to work with the program, and, hopefully, with Win 10. And yes, the developer is very responsive, so the program may be a keeper.

TobeyYad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a word of encouragement and thanks. I am in the same boat as I used S&T for all our RV trips including our Mexico adventures. I hope you continue to share your efforts to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks,
Tobey & Sue

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I am continuing to work with the developer of Maps Pro to figure out what exactly the problem I am having with it. I think they are trying to create something useful but it may not get to where we want as a replacement for S&T. So far I am thinking MS MAPS still gives more detail as an OFFLINE map. I will keep fooling around with these to try to find one that easily allows adding waypoints to force a route. One positive thing about Maps Pro is the developer does keep responding to emails - I think it is a woman and I think she is in France. She is working on the entire world and has some of it done in Chinese - as well as other languages. I have no idea how they do this stuff.

She says she expects to have Mexico working within a week or so.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
After re-downloading this morning, the program is working. The interface is rather clunky, and while planning a route, it will only accept 10 waypoints. I've saved the map as a GPX file, but apparently it will only save if your map has 6 waypoints or less ,

One good thing is it shows traffic direction, which will take some of the mystery of cloverleafs on the new city bypasses. Another nice feature is that when you click on a waypoint, it brings up Google Earth. I won't travel until this summer, so will see.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried downloading Maps Pro for the laptop and it produces an error that says the problem is on their end.
No Joy.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I started working with Maps Pro and downloaded some maps to work with offline. I went to their website and paid to download Mexico but it did not work. i contacted the person who created the app and they said there seems to be a glitch and they will try to work on it soon. As for now the clickable on their website for Mexico may say you can buy it and it will take your money and do a download but it is not Mexico. If you are interested you should wait awhile until they fix whatever the problem seems to be.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I am now in the process of downloading Maps Pro and will try to figure this one out too. Looks like you have to pay a small fee ($4.99) for the APP and then pay for each set of maps you download โ€“ looks like US and/or North America is $9.99 but I am still trying to figure it out. It appears they also use Open Street Maps. Based on user comments below it sounds as though the developer is constantly working to improve this. Could be something up and coming. Here is what I have found so far.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/maps-pro/9wzdncrfjcdd

Description
Maps Pro is the most advanced mapping application on the Windows Store.

Directions, Street View, geolocation, Points of Interest, offline maps and a powerful search engine in one application, available worldwide.

Add your own files: Maps Pro can open your CSV, KML, KMZ, GPX, GeoPDF and GeoJSON files and allows you to record your journey as a GPX file (tracks).

Offline Maps: Maps Pro uses the latest technology to display vector maps while you are offline.

Download the data for a country and you will be able to search for a street, display Points Of Interest and get directions with text-to-speech and re-routing whilst offline.

Create beautiful maps: Maps Pro allows you to change the style of your map, choosing from over 20 different styles and providers including Nokia, ESRI, MapBox, Stamen, OpenStreetMap ( OSM ) and Bing Maps.

Create custom maps by adding overlays such as Google Traffic, hiking routes (including USGS topo maps) or truck restrictions.

Geolocation: your location is automatically detected by Maps Pro depending on your IP address (desktop computer), GPS (tablet) or Bluetooth GPS. Maps Pro is now the only Windows Store application compatible with external Bluetooth GPS!

Directions: Maps Pro helps you find your way with its powerful directions engine. Get directions from an address, your geolocation or coordinates and get driving instructions (with voice) using text-to-speech and automatic re-routing if you miss a turn.

With offline maps available, Maps Pro will also guide you without needing an Internet connection.

Points of Interest: Display points of interest (POI) such as restaurants, cinemas, bars, etc. from 80+ categories, with reviews and details.

Choose your data provider: Google Maps, OpenStreetMap (OSM) or Baidu (China).

Street View: Access Google Street View and experience HD images in full screen.

Maps Pro is the best replacement for Microsoft Street and Trips, now discontinued by Microsoft.

Maps Pro is used by thousands of users all over the world: hiking in Germany, preparing rally tracks in Sweden, visualizing real estate projects in South Africa, planning camping trips in the UK, trekking in Mongolia, and driving around the USA in a RV are just a few examples of how Maps Pro has been used.

Try Maps Pro for free for 7 days !
Available on
PC

https://mapspro.uservoice.com/

Customer Feedback & Support - Maps Pro for Windows
Maps Pro is the most advanced mapping application on the Windows Store. Directions, Street View, geolocation, points of interest, custom styles and a powerful search engine in one application, available worldwide.

Maps Pro evolves quickly, mostly based on user feedback. This portal allows you to suggest new features and report bugs. You can also vote and comment on existing ideas. I am also interested in how you use Maps Pro so that this app can better fit your needs (road/plane/boat navigation, hiking, etc.)

On this website, you will find articles to help you getting started with Maps Pro:
Access to my position - GPS
Map styles and basemaps
Overlays (GPX / CSV / KML / KMZ / GeoJSON)
Using Maps Pro offline
Settings
Directions
Favorites
Street View
Translation
Contact

Version notes
Version number: Varies by device
You can now change the icon of your favorites, see our documentation for more details.

Version 125
Fixed some issues with GPS positioning
Fixed an issue with some offline data that would prevent the application from starting correctly
Fixed issues with the favorites list
Fixed issues with offline routes that would sometimes never return

Version 123
Changed the icon on the map which represent your position to a blue dot (similar to Google Maps). For better readability, the dot/arrow is now bigger on high density "retina" screens

Version 122
Translation in Swedish

Version 121
Better GeoPDF support
Added two more OpenStreetMap map styles
Added support for modern GNSS receivers

Version 120
NEW FEATURE: Maps Pro can now follow your direction of travel and rotate the map accordingly. To activate map rotation, press the circle button twice

Version 119
NEW FEATURE: Maps Pro can now import favorites from a GPX file
Links and email addresses are now clickable in favorites

Version 118
Improved the map's overall performance. Overlays now loads up to 50% faster

Version 116/117
Fixed an issue with Google Maps directions
Better Compatibility with custom overlays
Better USB GPS compatibility

Version 115
NEW FEATURE: Maps Pro can now connect to a USB GPS directly without using GPSDirect

Features

Add your own files: Maps Pro can open your CSV, KML, KMZ, GPX, GeoPDF and GeoJSON files

Offline Maps: Maps Pro uses the latest technology to display vector maps while you are offline

Create beautiful maps: Maps Pro allows you to change the style of your map, choosing from over 20 different styles and providers including Nokia, ESRI, MapBox, Stamen, OpenStreetMap ( OSM ) and Bing

Geolocation: your location is automatically detected by Maps Pro. Maps Pro is now the only Windows 8 Store application compatible with external Bluetooth GPS!

Directions: Maps Pro helps you find your way with its powerful directions engine. Get directions and get driving instructions (with voice) using text-to-speech

Points of Interest: Display points of interest (POI) such as restaurants, cinemas, bars, etc. from 80+ categories, with reviews and details.

Street View: Access Google Street View and experience HD images in full screen.

Maps Pro is the best replacement for Microsoft Street and Trips, now discontinued by Microsoft.

System Requirements
Minimum
OS Windows 10, Windows 8.1

COMMENTS in order by date - could be some things are now fixed or improved.

8/7/2015
ROB
Platform: PC
very basic
who ever said "replacement for streets and trips", must not of have ever used S & T. no draw tool. no route optimization. can't import from excel .xle. xlms. I would like to import all my contacts from a spreadsheet, decide which area I need to go to that day, enclose THAT area ONLY with a draw tool, pick my start, pick my stop, then let the program optimize my route. Maps Pro has potential. Delorme street atlas is cumbersome. How about just buy the discontinued S & T rights from Microsoft and just continue map updates. Or just copy its functions. Thanks.

12/7/2015
Charles
Temporary
Map does nothing but from A-B. Can not use more than two locations. Also can not save map. Great for Kindergarten Kids to learn on. "WHERES MY STREETS AND TRIPS"?
Developer comment ยท Nicollet Fabien responded on 12/7/2015
Hello and thanks for trying out Maps Pro, You can add waypoints to a route, here is how: https://mapspro.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/765354-how-to-add-waypoints-to-a-route .....Hope it helps, if you have further issues, please email..... tickets@mapspro.uservoice.com Thanks, Fabien

3/1/2016
Walter
Very useful Mapping App with multiple options
A bit clunky to use... but it's usefulness outweighs difficulties. I use it WITH Google Maps, thus giving me the utility of both. This program offers an extraordinary array of choices with stunning clarity, including Topo's, Hiking/Biking Trails, Useful Overlays, on and on. We are Full-Time RV's and wouldn't be without it.

6/15/2016
sean
excellent customer support
I'm using this for work to replace streets and trips the closest thing I've found so far. constant updates and interested in user feedback. prompt response on a few issues I had problems fixed and explained. program could be excellent for my use with a few additions. waiting for future updates

8/23/2016
Don
Lacking basic settings
Looks to be very promising but not there yet. I used Streets and Trips for years and loved it. It let you change routes to roads I wanted to travel. This app limits that and only shows a couple different routes to travel. Please add this option for your next upgrade.

9/30/2016
Tony
Versatile Navigation Package
This is an outstanding product. You have access to download a very inexpensive set of street maps for the whole US and Canada for use offline. You also have online access to many types of maps from multiple sources, e.g., highly detailed satellite imagery, shaded relief, topo, street, and hybrid maps from Google, Bing, Open Street, CalTopo, and more. You may also download sections of these maps for free. I'm using a combination of the base street maps, topo maps, and satellite imagery for on and off-road navigation. Works great on my Windows 10 tablet with the Dual XGPS150A GPS puck. Primary reason for 5 stars instead of 4 is the excellent support from the author. I was having trouble getting my GPS to pair with the OS and app. As usual, it was a bit of user error on my part. The author responded the very next morning to my initial email and again at the end of the day to another email from me. Support is often overlooked and yet so valuable an aspect of any application.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried the latest MS Maps Pro? They claim it is a replacement for S & T. It also has the ability to use an external USB GPS. Thus far, none that I have will work with Windows 10, but the latest update included GPS driver update. I haven't had time to play with it, but might show some promise. You can get a demo version, or purchase the app for $4.99.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I think that you can.
When you visually locate the point that you want to add on the BaseCamp map, select the little "Red Flag" icon from the menu (top row).
And then stab that point right where you want it.
That's your new waypoint and it is added to the waypoint list.

Next, open the Route that you created in the waypoint list.
(Right click it, then select Open)

That will open the Properties window. Select the "Green Cross" icon to add your new waypoint.
Select the Arrow icon to move your new waypoint up or down the list.

Click Recalculate.

Yep I get all that too. In S&T you can be working on a route and use your cursor on a specific spot and click to create a waypoint which is immediately and automatically added to the route. Only if I somehow get a waypoint out of the correct sequence to I have to go in to move it.

I know I can go to the list on BaseCamp to work the list to get the stops in correct order. Part of the problem is I use specific spots on the map and I am not always sure which spot goes where when I go back to the list to organize. I need to come of with a system to place the waypoints on the list in the correct order or a way to control the order they appear on the list.

In S&T I click spot and get number 1 - the next spot I get number two. With BaseCamp I get names of what can be found at that location or some other title for that spot. I need to name them as I click starting each name with 1 - 2 - 3- or A - B -C or whatever. Then I still have to order my list before creating the route. I can go in later to make corrections. I will keep working in it when I get a chance. Still hoping to find someone who knows a program that promises to replace S&T.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
briansue wrote:

Yep - I get it - but I can't just "click" a waypoint in as I do with some other programs

I think that you can.
When you visually locate the point that you want to add on the BaseCamp map, select the little "Red Flag" icon from the menu (top row).
And then stab that point right where you want it.
That's your new waypoint and it is added to the waypoint list.

Next, open the Route that you created in the waypoint list.
(Right click it, then select Open)

That will open the Properties window. Select the "Green Cross" icon to add your new waypoint.
Select the Arrow icon to move your new waypoint up or down the list.

Click Recalculate.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
As I state before, do not use the BaseCamp "Trip Planner" feature.
Use the route planner as shown in the above image.

Yep - I get it - but I can't just "click" a waypoint in as I do with some other programs (especially S&T) where the program automatically calculates which waypoint should go where and knows the order to put them on the map. So far using BaseCamp I can't get the waypoints to just line up in the order I want them to be for my route. I am still working on it. With S&T I just "click" and the waypoint is there and on my route. I guess I have been spoiled by S&T and just keep looking for a replacement.

Chris - I get out of the driveway and anywhere else I want to go - and I know you are kidding - this is a tool and learning to use the tool in the best possible way. I could use a saw but not be able to cut a straight line or a drill and keep breaking drill bits. It is about finding the right tool for the job and then about the proper use of that tool. Plus I just enjoy knowing how things work.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
qtla9111 wrote:
Tongue in cheek, "How do you ever get out of the driveway?" ๐Ÿ™‚

Just kiddin'.

Actually, this started more as a "how to share" map routes comment in another thread.
And then diverted into a "how to" in this thread.

Google Maps is better for sharing routes in my opinion.
For example, here is a route that I've plotted out for some scenic camping in Oregon: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway

It takes some minor technical smarts to download the file and load it into a GPS or another mapping system.
But it's quite easy once mastered.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Tongue in cheek, "How do you ever get out of the driveway?" ๐Ÿ™‚

Just kiddin'.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I state before, do not use the BaseCamp "Trip Planner" feature.
Use the route planner as shown in the above image.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my problem trying to get the waypoints in the right order. I can't find a way to just click a spot on the map and have it entered in the order I click on it. So I have to click them all into the list and then put them in the right order. If I have a lot of waypoints I have to name them in such a way as to get them in the correct order. I suppose I could just name them A - B - C - D etc. A work in progress. At first I could not even figure out how to create a route or how to then force the route. In other words it said to DRAG the Start and End to the planner but I did not even know where to drag them from. Once I figured that out I could enter the start and end and create the route - then go back in and force the route by adding in waypoints. Once I figured it out it wasn't to difficult to do. Each waypoint in the list can be clicked on to get Lat Lon and then just Copy the numbers from their and move them up a few lines to the NAME line. It only works when the actual GARMIN is connected to the computer. With the Garmin connected to the computer you can actually track each route you have driven by the date you drove it. I can see where using BaseCamp to create routes to use in a Garmin device can be useful but it won't replace my S&T in-dash computer screen when going down the road. It is always easier for me to work on a large display computer screen than on a small screen device.