cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deh Cho Route / AB-NT-BC

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some input regarding the Deh Cho Route!

Will the Fort Simpson ferry handle a 37' TT & tow vehicle (55')?

Has anyone done it in September? We'd like to do the northern 'loop through the Northwest Territories the second / third week of Sept.!

Looks like the Territory Parks close mid September.....but what about alternative places to overnight in the Hay River, Checkpoint or Fort Simpson areas?

Any problem with fuel (gas) availability? Dumping stations?

Appreciate any info!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!
9 REPLIES 9

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle...sure brought to the fore..the need to carry extra fuel. I can see a couple fuel jugs just bangin around till I get north.

How would you see May or June for bugs? I just hate hate HATE skeeters.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The unpaved portion main stretch of NWT 1 route between Checkpoint at the NWT 7 Jct and the NWT 3 Jct near Fort Providence is pretty smooth surfaced....The Liard trail route NWT 7 Hwy was pretty good in general for the majority of it as it is all unpaved portion.

As mentioned, the Lafferty Ferry crossing the Liard River near Fort Simpson can handle any size rig onboard, no different from any other diesel powered ferry :

The one point I would like to stress out is I personally would carry extra sufficient spare fuel onhand enroute to Fort Simpson (NWT 1 Hwy) or travelling along the Liard Trail (NWT 7 Hwy).

Hay River, Fort Providence. and Yellowknife are areas not of great concern for gas shortage availability in general, however there are no services between Fort Providence and Fort Simpson as I personally witnessed for myself of no gas availability in Fort Simpson as they only had 2 gas stations - one gas station was closed for the next two days as they tend business five days a week, and the other station that is open daily was out of fuel and was expecting their next delivery in three days when I inquired.

I sure was not going to hang around in Fort Simpson for three days as I headed towards Fort Providence as I barely had enough gas to make it there two days later, darn near on fumes between Fort Liard and Fort Providence distance while backtracking a side trip to Fort Simpson (no fuel available) and having to resort to my spare fuel supply !

At Fort Liard when I went to their general store and gas station, they were kinda reluctant of selling me gas there as they asked how much gas I was wanting, as I told the clerk not more than 60 litres tops as I just wanted to top off my one tank not knowing the route in general other than it was pretty remote....They did sell me gas which proved essential later on enroute to Fort Simpson, as I look back on that particular time the Petitot Pow Wow was being held, as I was forced to attend by 30 first nations when they surrounded me at the acrow bridge over the Fort Nelson River telling me I had to go to their pow wow 80 km's up the road after I answered their 1001 questions of why I was going to the NWT....as I found out later on, those were the 30 individuals that were kicked out of the pow wow, and my dog was now famously known as the toilet water buffalo.

I believe Fort Liard was running low on fuel supply and Fort Simpson sold more gas than usual because of the pow wow event to my guess, which was held one mile or so from the NWT border - as I driven clockwise on the Deh Cho route from Fort Nelson to Yellowknife and Hay River with a side trip to Wood Buffalo National Park and southbound thru northern Alberta to Dawson Creek BC.

For those who choose to drive along the entire Deh Cho route, do keep in mind that Fort Simpson and Fort Liard are the two most remote distance places for fuel availability in those areas but are not always guaranteed to have fuel as supply crunches can potentially happen from time to time.

For a first time traveler on the Deh Cho route, I would calculate upon how many miles or kilometres it would take to cover between Fort Providence and Fort Nelson with a Fort Simpson visit in between upon how much spare gas would be needed to cover those distances while not potentially relying on Fort Simpson and Fort Liard for fuel availability just to be safe.

The bison herds are thickest just north of Fort Providence to the Edzo-Rae bridge (Frank Channel) enroute to Yellowknife (NWT 3 Hwy), daytime driving thru this stretch is a must in my opinion.

Every Territorial park I stopped at were the cleanest government parks I ever seen, and I stopped at the majority of them that were day use only or overnight permitted - although they were not used all that much - they were pristine as you could tell they were so upkept and constant maintained upon taking pride in them.

The mosquitos, dragonflies and gnats were soooooo horrendous along the remote areas, worst bug encounters I ever been thru in my life as I had to light up pic coils inside my camper just to kill the hundreds of skeeters that enter so quickly in less than two seconds opening and closing the door....Broke out the rain gear on a sunny day and the bug nets just to stay sane after boondocking along the turnout near the Blackstone River on the NWT 7 route, and that included 100 percent DEET spray !

Here are a few pics along the Deh Cho route in August 2008 :

Mile 46 - km 74 Liard Trail (NWT 7 Hwy):

Mile 85 - km 136 BC 77 Hwy (Mile 0 NWT 7 Hwy) :

Mile 123 - km 198 NWT 1 Hwy :

Mile 48 - km 77 NWT 3 Hwy - bison herd :

Hay River Territorial Park :

Direct short trail access behind campsite to south shore of Great Slave Lake :

As also mentioned, September and October travel can get freezing temps at night as this entire region was the most adventurous trip I ever taken still to this day ! .... no other area in all my RV travels in the far north ever given me that truly "the middle of nowhere feeling".

Anywhere else on the road system in Alaska I still never feel like I am so remote, not even 400 miles north of Fairbanks on the haul road or in most places in north-western Canada although the Dempster Hwy. comes somewhat close.

If I had the time, I sure would do this Deh Cho trip again and expand it even more reaching out even further, and would love to visit Yellowknife again and the outskirts.

Hope this insight helps.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
Bugs will be gone in Oct, but the snow flakes may make an appearance. Most of the roadside campgrounds will be closed, with the gates up. Restaurants and motels will still let you park in their lots, but most of the dump locations will be closed, and often gated. Fresh water will often be available from the same hotel and restaurants, for a fee (usually). Overnight temps can range from quite chilly, to bloody cold. Depends on time of year, and year to year variations.

Thank you. I have been in touch with with an office thru their FB page and they suggest that my target.leaves and colours..will be done for the season. That info and yours about dumping has convinced me that next spring would be better. I shall adjust my plans accordingly. I have no concerns about weather...my Regal is well insulated and capable.

Gary Haupt

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Bugs will be gone in Oct, but the snow flakes may make an appearance. Most of the roadside campgrounds will be closed, with the gates up. Restaurants and motels will still let you park in their lots, but most of the dump locations will be closed, and often gated. Fresh water will often be available from the same hotel and restaurants, for a fee (usually). Overnight temps can range from quite chilly, to bloody cold. Depends on time of year, and year to year variations.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty country up there! If you do go, then take a bug jacket though! When i was in Hay River, it was swarms of mossies, blackflies, horse flies, deer flies, etc. They wouldn't let off too!

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input! we're really looking forward to the adventure!

Looks like everything will still be open until at least mid September but we're quite prepared to boondock wherever!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
No problem with the ferry. Transport trucks use it, too.

Be ready for dust, or CaCl laced mud if raining.

Lots of wide open places, including in towns, for overnighting.

No idea about dump stations, but plan on being on tanks until further south, and warmer temps. Frost comes early, and swiftly up here.

You folks seem to have the insight...how does Ocober look for a drive on the route?

Gary Haupt

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!!...what a great looking route for a wander!! I have never heard of this...now I am on the hunt for info. Thanks so much for this. I sense an October drive.

Gary Haupt

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with the ferry. Transport trucks use it, too.

Be ready for dust, or CaCl laced mud if raining.

Lots of wide open places, including in towns, for overnighting.

No idea about dump stations, but plan on being on tanks until further south, and warmer temps. Frost comes early, and swiftly up here.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er