cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastern Adirondacks, north to south, in August

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys and gals - it looks like our summer trip this year will take us first to Vermont to visit family, then to Burlington, across the lake on some kind of ferry, and then we have a week to get to Rochester. What I really have in mind is about two to three days to get down to around Syracuse. Will be with DW and 9-year old Granddaughter. Looking at Ausable Chasm, High Falls Gorge, perhaps a bit of Lake Placid, and then down towards Lake George, and finally to Saratoga Springs before we turn right and head towards Syracuse. It looks like Route 9 is a decent, sight-seeing alternative to I-87 through much of the area. Any locals or recent travellers have any thoughts? Its been about 45 years since I was up that way as a kid. TIA

J
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...
12 REPLIES 12

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the hints so far, you've given me a lot of good ideas to consider.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
AdirondackJack wrote:
JimFromJersey wrote:
^^^^ Thanks AJ, gives us something specific to work with. Timing is still up in the air a bit - we need to be in Rochester 19/20/21st of August, but we also want to work in a visit to Niagara if feasible. It looks like it will be more beneficial, time-wise, to hit the Falls BEFORE we turn around and head to Rochester, since trying to see it AFTER will be tough, time-wise - need to be home here by Sunday the 24th. Thus, my thoughts of a couple days or so from Plattsburg down to Saratoga Springs, then a dash ACROSS the state to Niagara. I know proponents of the Finger Lakes will urge several days there but I just don't think that's in our schedule...

One more possible to consider is route 8 which cuts through a beautiful part of the Adirondacks through Speculatorand ends in Rome. You can pick it up from Route 9 in Chestertown or from 28 in Weavertown. I spent the biggest share of my working life in Rochester and always used route 8 to visit my home area.
Sorry, while I don't mean to be argumentative, I have to say that formerly being from Rome, I can say that Rt. 8 comes no where near Rome,(well, 20 some miles) it intersects Rt. 12 north of Utica, & heads south.

That's very true Bukhrn and being informative will never be considered argumentative by me or anyone else I would think. I post a lot of routes that we have taken and do get pretty wordy and have found that most people who are interested post me back to nail it down or use Google Maps or use a GPS to search it further themselves. I apologize if I was misleading anyone. I used to actually get off the Thruway at Verona and head East for Rte 8 from there BUT that was without towing and there is a pretty low bridge along that route.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
AdirondackJack wrote:
JimFromJersey wrote:
^^^^ Thanks AJ, gives us something specific to work with. Timing is still up in the air a bit - we need to be in Rochester 19/20/21st of August, but we also want to work in a visit to Niagara if feasible. It looks like it will be more beneficial, time-wise, to hit the Falls BEFORE we turn around and head to Rochester, since trying to see it AFTER will be tough, time-wise - need to be home here by Sunday the 24th. Thus, my thoughts of a couple days or so from Plattsburg down to Saratoga Springs, then a dash ACROSS the state to Niagara. I know proponents of the Finger Lakes will urge several days there but I just don't think that's in our schedule...

One more possible to consider is route 8 which cuts through a beautiful part of the Adirondacks through Speculatorand ends in Rome. You can pick it up from Route 9 in Chestertown or from 28 in Weavertown. I spent the biggest share of my working life in Rochester and always used route 8 to visit my home area.
Sorry, while I don't mean to be argumentative, I have to say that formerly being from Rome, I can say that Rt. 8 comes no where near Rome,(well, 20 some miles) it intersects Rt. 12 north of Utica, & heads south.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

That is the route I would take after visiting Saranac Lake, onto The Wild Center and Adirondack Museum. After Blue Mountain I would drive west on Rt. 28 thru Old Forge then over to 90 west to Rochester.

X2
Took the words right out of my mouth!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
That is the route I would take after visiting Saranac Lake, onto The Wild Center and Adirondack Museum. After Blue Mountain I would drive west on Rt. 28 thru Old Forge then over to 90 west to Rochester.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ Thanks, Twins. Will Do.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Twilight Valley on the Erie Canal is about 20 min from Woodcliff. Webster would be about 25 min. Those are the closest. Please private message me as things get closer and I will let you know the status of Twilight. It is a brand new park and the opening is tentative for the beginning of August.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
twins89 wrote:
Where are you staying in Rochester. I can suggest Webster Park, a Monroe county park. If all goes well there is a new campground opening in Macedon (20 min from Rochester) in August. Twilight Valley on the Erie Canal is the name.
The DW's business meeting is at the Woodcliff Hotel & Spa in Fairport, so someplace convenient to there is best. We will have to transport her there from where ever we set up shop.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you staying in Rochester. I can suggest Webster Park, a Monroe county park. If all goes well there is a new campground opening in Macedon (20 min from Rochester) in August. Twilight Valley on the Erie Canal is the name.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Jim from Jersey,
You'll be coming through my "backyard". I grew up in Ticonderoga and we Workamp Summers now in Schroon Lake.
So much to see and do and 3 days doesn't give you much time.I would suggest 3 possible routes from the ferry landing in Plattsburgh.
The first would be route 3 which would take you into Saranac Lake where you could pick up route 73 into Lake Placid where you could visit the Olympic venues. Our 2 favorite venues which you go right past on 73 is the ski jump complex where you can ride to the top on the gondola and also see actual jumping on Summer weekends or the watch young hopefuls learning and practicing by jumping into pools during the week. The Olympic Bobsled venue is also South of LP. Both should have room for your rig to park. From 73 you can pick up route 9 and continue South.
The second choice would be to stay on route 3 out of Saranac and visit"The Wild Center" in Tupper Lake and meet Adirondack Nature up close and personal.From there pick up route 30 to Blue Mountain Lake where you can visit "The Adirondack Museum" which is truly one of a kind. Route 28 out of Blue Mountain Lake is a beautiful drive and will take you back to Route 9 in Warrensburg where we can suggest a nice campground called Warrensburg Travel Park where we have also Workamped in the past.
Our choice for the 3rd route would be South on route 9 which was the North/South route before I-87 opened.
All 3 of these routes are truck routes and will give you no problems with any type of RV.
Beautiful scenery whatever route you take. If I can help with any specific info, send me a note.