Explorer
Explorer
Best route from Raleigh,nc to superior, wi
9 REPLIES 9

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
to Bloomington, where you can take I-39 north all the way to near Rhinelander, WI

Be aware there is construction on I39 in Illinois between mileposts 96 and 115, beginning next week - will be single-lane traffic, with occasional backups, but if it's like similar work on the same stretch last summer will probably not be too bad. And also in Wisconsin between the state line to Madison - lane closures there only between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. weeknights, otherwise only a minor inconvenience.
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As to your request for the flattest route (somewhat subjective, since you still have to go over mountains in the beginning), here's a route that I've driven and can attest that it is boringly flat...

I-40 all the way west to Nashville. I-24 from Nashville through Kentucky into Illinois. Pick up I-57 in Illinois and take that north to I-74 in Chanpaign/Urbana area, and take that west briefly to Bloomington, where you can take I-39 north all the way to near Rhinelander, WI; I-39 becomes US 51 up to Ironwood MI, where you can take US 2 over to Superior.

Mountains early on in this route, from Raleigh to Knoxville and then some hills between Knoxville and Nashville, but flat from there on, especially Illinois and Wisconsin. Aside from Nashville, most major urban areas are bypassed, and the few smaller ones that you'll encounter are very doable/easy to get around.

Did this route in reverse, but to Greenville, SC instead of Raleigh NC.

If this is a route that interests you, then you could Google sights along the way that you might want to visit. One recommendation I would make, up north, is to visit the area around Ashland/Washburn/Bayfield, WI. Short ferry ride over to Madeline Island, which is a fun area to explore. Be sure to take insect repellent, the black flies are fierce there (or were when we were there).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
If you do shoot across WI it will point you through Chicago area. If you don't mind paying the tolls stick to 294. Which also has a few nice Oasis areas to pull off and get food/fuel with out getting off the toll way.

In WI 94 & 53 will have a few hills with the majority of it Flat. For your last stop before making the trek up to Superior I would suggest stopping in Wisconsin Dells or Black River Falls. Plenty of campgrounds to be had in those areas off 94.

And once your up there make sure to check all the towns between Superior and Bayfield on 13. Many of them have direct access to beaches on Lake Superior. Something you just can't do on the MN side.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
When I am planning a trip, I avoid freeways and big cities I use google maps to plan my trip and look for interesting places to stop along the route I have chosen. I drive until about 2pm so I can spend time relaxing after hooking up. We don't have kids or pets.
Also when looking for campgrounds I use RV Park Reviews

Hope that helps.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I was hoping that someone with local knowledge would have some advice. If you want to stay flat then your problem is the Applachins. You have to go over or around those. So around, mostly, looks like I-40 west to I-75. Then north on I-75 all the way to upper Michigan. Then west on US 2 to Superior. That totally avoids Chicago, which is an area I would not drive a trailer thru.

It's probably a fairly scenic route once you cross over to Upper Michigan and get on US 2. We've driven the I-75 section all the way to Canada but you won't quite go that far. And I'm sure we've driven that US 2 section to Duluth but I can't say that I recall anything about it except seeing Duluth. That 10 years or so ago for us.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Poppygu
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. 5-6 days to get from Raleigh to Superior. We will be in Superior for a few weeks - then head back to Raleigh. Sorry again - new to this.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
That is 2600 miles round trip and pretty ambition for 5 or 6 days. What are you driving? Towing? Are there more than 1 driver. Kids? Pets?

Poppygu
Explorer
Explorer
Being a first timer....the flattest route is a high priority right now. We will be traveling late July and We are thinking 5-6 days for the trip.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does "best Route", mean to you? Fastest? Flatest? Most Scenic? What do you want to do on the trip? And when will the trip be made, that affects the route quite a bit.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper