cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

from Eastern PA to Burlington VT

We are going to take our friends son up to the University of Vermont next week and wondering the best route..

Maps show us 287 North to 149 - - 4 - - 22a - - 7 .. traveling with 2 campers... 1 is 13'3" fifth wheel....

Has anyone one taken this route ? decent roads ? fuel stops large enough to get tall trailer into ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
8 REPLIES 8

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pjinthedaks wrote:

Two years ago, parts of 22A were a little rough. We take I87 north to exit 28 and take Route 74 (some recently paved)to the light in Ticonderoga. Left on to 9N to the Champlain bridge road. Right and follow that until you cross the bridge. Bear to the left after you cross the bridge and follow that road until it intersects with 22A. Turn left and continue until you reach 7. Turn left and go to Burlington. There was some construction on 7 north. This should be much faster and better roads. Enjoy your trip!

It's New England, so chances are that you'll find some rough spots (and construction) on most any road. The one leads to the other, at least in a general sense, but there can sometimes be a distressingly long delay in between the cause and the effect.

Crossing at Crown Point isn't any faster if you're heading north (or south). It's probably about the same travel time. In my experience, the road conditions aren't very much different on average either. (Coming from the west it is quicker to cut through the Adirondiacks on e.g. NY 8 and then cross at Crown Point, as one forms a twisty sort of hypotenuse, but not so much from the south.)

I most recently took 22A a bit over a month ago with my motorhome, and don't remember anything notably rough. I took the northern bridge to route 8 on the way out on that trip, and also don't remember anything notably rough going that way. There's nothing wrong with either choice.

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I travel that route all the time with my 5er. No Problems. If you need fuel, just south of Rt 4 on 22A there is Mac's truck stop and convenience store. They usually have the best price on diesel in the area and there is plenty of room to maneuver. In Burlington the city has a campground at North Beach. Call ahead as not all sites are friendly for large rigs.

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
We are going to take our friends son up to the University of Vermont next week and wondering the best route..

Maps show us 287 North to 149 - - 4 - - 22a - - 7 .. traveling with 2 campers... 1 is 13'3" fifth wheel....

Has anyone one taken this route ? decent roads ? fuel stops large enough to get tall trailer into ?

Two years ago, parts of 22A were a little rough. We take I87 north to exit 28 and take Route 74 (some recently paved)to the light in Ticonderoga. Left on to 9N to the Champlain bridge road. Right and follow that until you cross the bridge. Bear to the left after you cross the bridge and follow that road until it intersects with 22A. Turn left and continue until you reach 7. Turn left and go to Burlington. There was some construction on 7 north. This should be much faster and better roads. Enjoy your trip!

s1214 wrote:
That route is the 'truck route' up the western side of Vermont. Even though it's single lane paved roads, you should be fine. Just keep an eye out for low clearances.

Will DO . thx
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

DrewE wrote:
I've driven that basic route (well, at least the part from Albany north) many, many times. You'll have no problems. You will get the opportunity to help refill the NY state highway fund coffers on I-87 south of Albany. I-81 to I-88 has no tolls and may be preferable for that reason.

There are a couple of good gas stations/small truck stops on 22A just south of route 4 that usually have pretty good prices (at least for gasoline; I don't have any reason to pay attention to diesel prices).

If you're thinking of staying in a campground and don't have reservations, I'd suggest making them as soon as possible. There isn't a whole lot available too close to UVM (North Beach is probably the closest), and I suspect it's a fairly popular time of year to be camping just before schools start up again.

Thanks , we made reservations back in the spring... Was looking on street view and saw the stations at 22A... they are truck stops and will do just fine.

Thanks for the responses...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven that basic route (well, at least the part from Albany north) many, many times. You'll have no problems. You will get the opportunity to help refill the NY state highway fund coffers on I-87 south of Albany. I-81 to I-88 has no tolls and may be preferable for that reason.

There are a couple of good gas stations/small truck stops on 22A just south of route 4 that usually have pretty good prices (at least for gasoline; I don't have any reason to pay attention to diesel prices).

If you're thinking of staying in a campground and don't have reservations, I'd suggest making them as soon as possible. There isn't a whole lot available too close to UVM (North Beach is probably the closest), and I suspect it's a fairly popular time of year to be camping just before schools start up again.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
That route is the 'truck route' up the western side of Vermont. Even though it's single lane paved roads, you should be fine. Just keep an eye out for low clearances.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we haven't traveled that particular route but you should be fine. All are interstate or US Hwys except NY149 and it looks OK on Google Maps. (satellite view you can zoom in). About 3 hours half way to VT, there is a Pilot fuel stop at the Newburgh NY intersection of I-84 and I-87. From I-87 take I-84 west one exit (I-84 exit 6). Easy off and back on. We used the truck lanes for diesel. If you use the truck lanes you have to prepay inside before you pump. You could call to see if they can tell you the clearance on the pumps in front. (845) 567-1722
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi