Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaspe Peninsula

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing the Gaspe peninsula during the first two weeks of July
I start from Quebec city and take Rt 132 through coastal ways all around this peninsula, through Gaspe and Perce and Chandler in NB

I was wondering about road conditions - how rough are the roads?
I was also wondering about the steep grades i would be facing?
I am pulling a 7200lb truck behind me. Should i sdk the wife to drive that separately where grades are bad?

thanks
jim
7 REPLIES 7

JackD
Explorer
Explorer
This is the 17% grade entering Percé.

No real concern there, it is less than half a mile long

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
I have been around it twice, both time clock wise. First time in a 36' MH and the second with a 40' MH, both time with a tow.

The 11% to 15% grades are very short, usually less than a quarter mile. They occur when the road leaves the coast line, goes inland over a hill, this drops back to the coast line. I did not find any of them a problem because they were so short.

There is a 17% grade entering Perce. It is about a half mile going up and a half mile going down. The only grade I found to be a problem was the one going down into Perce because it ends as you enter town and you are right at the main drag. You don't really have any time to slow down at the bottom of the grade so have to be going slow in the descent.

Thousands of people travel this road so take the trip and enjoy.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
We drove the Gaspe last year in late July the road is fine, we have a large 5th wheel and friends with us were in 42' class A's with toads, no problems.
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading several blogs that talk about, upto 17% grades....

the grade was so steep

steep grades

11%, 14% and 15% grades

steep hills and descends

17% grades

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
Drove the entire perimeter of Gaspe Peninsula in 2010. Excellent roads and no steep hills to worry about. Hill in Perce is a short climb and not a problem. Excellent RV park in Carleton by the Sea. Right next to beach area and park name can be found in directory. Very enjoyable drive and Canadians are very friendly people. Enjoy!

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
As with the Alaska highway,
the poor condition of the roads is greatly exaggerated.

There are no hills that should be of concern.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from the St Lawrence River at Baie Comeau, crossed on the ferry and drove the Gaspe Peninsula. Beautiful drive. We were in a focus pulling a teardrop. Great drive. Roads are great. Very few steep hills. The exception is at Perce where the large hole in the rock is located. No need to separate and have two drivers. Lots of great pull offs for photos. Enjoy.