cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Canyon South Rim to Colorado Springs

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be driving from Grand Canyon South Rim (Mather Campground) back to Colorado Springs in the middle of October. Google maps has two routes.

Both route share the first segment, going through Tuba City on 160 to Teec Nos Pos near the four corners.

Route 1: from Teec Nos Pos, continue on 160 through four corners into Colorado to Cortez, Durango, Pagosa Springs, South Fork, Alamosa, Fort Garland, then Walsenburg. Then hop on I-25 north home. I've driven this route from Durango all the way back without the trailer and know about Wolf Creek Pass, and the narrow two lanes between Cortez and Pagosa Springs.

Route 2: from Teec Nos Pos, take 64 to Shiprock, Farmington, Dulce, Charma, Antonito to Fort Garland, then join up with route 1 above. I have never taken this route.

Which one is easier to tow the TT? My TT is 20ft (24 with tongue). I'll be pretty tired that day, after running the Grand Canyon R2R2R the previous day. My wife will help with the driving but she's not comfortable driving mountain roads so will be limited to the flatter sections. We plan to make the drive in one day since I have to work the next day so splitting the drive into two days is not an option.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
Congrats on finishing that run. How many miles is it?

He stated Rim to Rim to Rim. I believe Rim to Rim is 24 strenuous miles and then he's adding another hike back! Amazing. We once just hiked DOWN to board the raft boat and we thought that was strenuous.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on finishing that run. How many miles is it?
Betsy

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have also driven both routes multiple times. In fact, I will be towing my fifth wheel over Cumbres Pass from Antonito to Chama next Tuesday. I'll also be towing on U.S. 285 from Lakewood to Antonito.

If I were towing from the Grand Canyon, I would choose the second route. Still scenic through New Mexico, but less traffic and no Wolf Creek.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
2nd route for a trailer is easier IMO. I too have driven most of both routes. I guess the extra 160 miles (3 hrs at RV speeds) using I-40 to I-25 is not worth the ease of driving and availability of support facilities. Your wife should be able to drive the whole route on the interstate.
Turret Class traveler

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
EnzoColorado wrote:

Which one is easier to tow the TT? My TT is 20ft (24 with tongue). I'll be pretty tired that day, after running the Grand Canyon R2R2R the previous day.

Wow! How young are you? Running the Rim to Rim trail at Grand Canyon and then driving the long day? :E

Route 1 would be the one I'd choose if you can be awake long enough to drive the Wolf Creek section. Cortez to Pagosa Springs is not narrow.

Have a good trip!

Not as young as I would like to be 😞

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
I've done the bulk of both routes, option 1 was in the same time frame last October. In the South Fork area, I took US 285 north all the way to Denver area. But I've also done the US 285/US 24 route to the Springs. Have also gone over North LaVeta Pass as well on US 160 to Walsenburg and on to I-25.

Have also done the 2nd route as well, a goodly portion in both directions. The 2nd route, in my opinion would be easier in that, you won't have that stretch from Cortez to Pagosa that varies in the number of lanes that you have, and as I recall was less hilly to Chama. That drive from Chama to Antonito takes you over Cumbres and LaManga Passes, both of which are not difficult passes. Also great photo op to stretch your legs at the top of Cumbres, to get some pics of the train if your timing is right. The drop down from LaManga to the valley below is a gorgeous drive, all the way in to Antonito. Antonito to Alamosa is good and flat, as you're aware of what the San Luis Valley is like.

Guess the question might be, how much would you dread that drive on US 160 if you're feeling even the slightest bit tired. Good that you have a 2nd driver, she could drive a lot of that stretch from AZ through Shiprock and Farmington, giving you some rest; you would be more rested to take on the 2 passes out of Chama.

If it was me in the same situation, I'd take the 2nd route.

Great, that's the info I was looking for! Thank you so much!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done the bulk of both routes, option 1 was in the same time frame last October. In the South Fork area, I took US 285 north all the way to Denver area. But I've also done the US 285/US 24 route to the Springs. Have also gone over North LaVeta Pass as well on US 160 to Walsenburg and on to I-25.

Have also done the 2nd route as well, a goodly portion in both directions. The 2nd route, in my opinion would be easier in that, you won't have that stretch from Cortez to Pagosa that varies in the number of lanes that you have, and as I recall was less hilly to Chama. That drive from Chama to Antonito takes you over Cumbres and LaManga Passes, both of which are not difficult passes. Also great photo op to stretch your legs at the top of Cumbres, to get some pics of the train if your timing is right. The drop down from LaManga to the valley below is a gorgeous drive, all the way in to Antonito. Antonito to Alamosa is good and flat, as you're aware of what the San Luis Valley is like.

Guess the question might be, how much would you dread that drive on US 160 if you're feeling even the slightest bit tired. Good that you have a 2nd driver, she could drive a lot of that stretch from AZ through Shiprock and Farmington, giving you some rest; you would be more rested to take on the 2 passes out of Chama.

If it was me in the same situation, I'd take the 2nd route.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
EnzoColorado wrote:

Which one is easier to tow the TT? My TT is 20ft (24 with tongue). I'll be pretty tired that day, after running the Grand Canyon R2R2R the previous day.

Wow! How young are you? Running the Rim to Rim trail at Grand Canyon and then driving the long day? :E

Route 1 would be the one I'd choose if you can be awake long enough to drive the Wolf Creek section. Cortez to Pagosa Springs is not narrow.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:

Not really any other option - Map - also might as well take the day off from work because that drive While Beautiful is a Bear - 12-14 hours in a Car - you will not be worth much.

JMHO,

Taking off the work the next day is not an option. It'll be a ten cups coffee day for sure.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
EnzoColorado wrote:
We will be driving from Grand Canyon South Rim (Mather Campground) back to Colorado Springs in the middle of October. Google maps has two routes.

Both route share the first segment, going through Tuba City on 160 to Teec Nos Pos near the four corners.

Route 1: from Teec Nos Pos, continue on 160 through four corners into Colorado to Cortez, Durango, Pagosa Springs, South Fork, Alamosa, Fort Garland, then Walsenburg. Then hop on I-25 north home. I've driven this route from Durango all the way back without the trailer and know about Wolf Creek Pass, and the narrow two lanes between Cortez and Pagosa Springs.

Route 2: from Teec Nos Pos, take 64 to Shiprock, Farmington, Dulce, Charma, Antonito to Fort Garland, then join up with route 1 above. I have never taken this route.

Which one is easier to tow the TT? My TT is 20ft (24 with tongue). I'll be pretty tired that day, after running the Grand Canyon R2R2R the previous day. My wife will help with the driving but she's not comfortable driving mountain roads so will be limited to the flatter sections. We plan to make the drive in one day since I have to work the next day so splitting the drive into two days is not an option.

Not really any other option - Map - also might as well take the day off from work because that drive While Beautiful is a Bear - 12-14 hours in a Car - you will not be worth much.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach